LIV

Enough of the Links talk! Use this forum for real golf and other topics but no religion or politics.
Kunkleman

Re: LIV

Post by Kunkleman »

Duck Hook wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 5:09 am I would like to talk about Player, but seeing politics is frowned upon I best refrain.
Needless to say I wont bother reading or listening to anything that comes out his mouth.
Lol, and they accuse the Saudis of sports washing......
Actually, he is about as relevant as 'Salty' Couples and the great dimwit Jaime Diaz.....
You're talking about a Legend!! :nono:
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Duck Hook wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 5:09 am I would like to talk about Player, but seeing politics is frowned upon I best refrain.
Needless to say I wont bother reading or listening to anything that comes out his mouth.
Actually, he is about as relevant as 'Salty' Couples and the great dimwit Jaime Diaz.....
I hear you. Not sure why it's about politics, but I've considered him a certified nutbar from the first time I heard him speak, no matter he has nine major wins. I can still recall his rant about "white poison", which the rest of us call a loaf of bread. And I'm sure he can still do push-ups, but so could I if I weighed 85 pounds. Funny how no one here gets upset with him ragging on LIV, but throw any shade on the PGA and they'll come right after you. Good on Fowler for not going the boot-licking route.
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Kunkleman wrote: September 3rd, 2022, 12:59 pm
You're talking about a Legend!! :nono:
Mate, I not having a personal go at you, but I assume you are talking about Player. This is is a guy who actively supported apartheid and the government who was enforcing it. Being a legend doesn't make that alright in my books.

The only legend worth listening to is the greatest of them all, the likes of which golf will never see again.
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

There is enough room for another top flight tour, whether LIV can maintain the rage remains to be seen.
I am just sick to death of such terms as " Rebels" and "Defecting to LIV" being thrown at the LIV golfers and the endless scorn and mockery from past Has-beens and neville nobody commentators.
I didn't think the hurt and trauma would cut so deep when the PGA realized they are not the centre of the golfing universe, but apparently it does.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Duck Hook wrote: September 4th, 2022, 3:52 am I didn't think the hurt and trauma would cut so deep when the PGA realized they are not the centre of the golfing universe, but apparently it does.
I think what bothered Monahan the most is that after all this dissatisfaction on the PGA Tour expressed by players such as Mickelson, and now that they're under pressure from LIV, they're suddenly forced to make changes that nearly mirror what LIV has done. He'd been hoping to keep all this on the hush-hush but now it's all out there for everyone to see. The PGA has been a cheapskate for many years, and it's now obvious the money was there all along if they'd chosen to use it. Let's see if they'll switch to optional shorts attire next season.. I mean, what other sport insists on long pants for an outdoor sport lasting four-five hours per round? Remember when they had to wear a freakin' tie?

Attachments
homework.jpg
homework.jpg (104.21 KiB) Viewed 1641 times
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

I don't mind the shorts. Golf's biggest problem attracting new people to take up the sport, at least here in Australia, has always been the sports percieved exclusivity. The often overbearing insistence of long held traditions and continued inflexible attitude of many clubs turn away more would be golfers away than attracts them. Years ago me and 3 mates were playing at a nearby club in the middle of summer and it was like 35 degrees celsius and there was this bloke going around in a cart ensuring players were adhereing to the clubs policies and we got chipped because our shirts were untucked. We were dressed " nice " but were advised to tuck in our shirts or leave the course. We were like seriously dude? We are a degree away from spontaneously combusting and we have to tuck in our shirts ????? Thankfully attitudes are changing here now once they realized the sport was dying. Still, on the whole, golf takes itself way too serious.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

I think that on the whole, this is going to benefit Golf. Sure there's lots of lip-flapping going on right now (thanks, Billy), but the PGA needed a shake-up. Even the remaining members talk about how their own ideas presented to leadership were stifled, and the emergence of LIV has forced their hand. The end result will be something that looks more like we're in the 21st century, not still mired in the 80's. It will be seen, in retrospect, as an adjunct to all the rule changes from a couple of years ago (not fond of that word, in beer-brewing we call that "add junk"). What the PGA needs to worry about is its future. Will Korn Ferry Tour players and their equivalents in Europe and Asia be looking to move directly to LIV just because it may be easier and more lucrative than battling their way onto the PGA Tour, and then keeping their card? There will be more changes as the PGA fights to counteract that possibility. Competition nearly always improves the product and I expect the same will happen in this case.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Apparently another top-10 player is about to join LIV. They're not saying who yet, but after reading this: "It would appear the player in question has not taken well to the huge new changes made by the PGA Tour ahead of the new season, which starts this week.", and this: ""Been informed top 10 player is going. He is aggrieved at the new PGA [Tour] proposal and the "Rory Tour".", my guess would be Jon Rahm, who was quick to complain about the mandatory 20 tournaments to be played on the PGA Tour, plus the four he has to play on the DP Tour to maintain his membership, and any others he is involved with, such as the Ryder Cup. If not Rahm, likely another European facing the same long season. Rahm has probably been asking for that to be changed to 16 or something, and didn't get the answer he wanted.
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Interesting. If this is in fact correct, Rahm would be the obvious pick.
Taking Cam Smith out of the equation and looking at the remaining top 10, except for 1 or 2 I would have to say, while obviously all extremely talented golfers, it would have be one of the most boring and least interesting top 10 in the history of rankings....
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Yeah, Cantlay, Scheffler, Spieth, Hovland, and others aren't exactly bursting with personality, and of course Smith and DJ are already gone. If it is Rahm, he was one of the few left with a bit of fire inside him. They're calling Cantlay the Ice Man, more like Porridge Man in my book. And my opinion only, but I can't stand McIlroy, and that goes way back before LIV. Did you read about Garcia's latest maneuver? +4 after the first round at the BMW, so he just takes off, later posting selfies at a football game. No explanation given. He pulled the same vanishing act in 2014. Some things never change, but great way to boost LIV's reputation.