LIV

Enough of the Links talk! Use this forum for real golf and other topics but no religion or politics.
Duck Hook

Re: LIV

Post by Duck Hook »

sagevanni wrote: August 12th, 2022, 12:35 pm Todd,
I like that word.........."fuckwit".......LMAO...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sage...... :cheers1:
Hi Sage.....I admit I was probably being a bit harsh. But it was poor form, there was no way it was unintentional. Imagine the outcry if it was the other way round. Rory would have blown a gasket....lol

:cheers1:
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Why so much spite... From both sides. How is throwing dung at eachother's camps going to help the situation?

Just rhetorical.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Adelade wrote: August 13th, 2022, 4:53 am Why so much spite... From both sides. How is throwing dung at eachother's camps going to help the situation?

Just rhetorical.
That's why I say both sides should keep quiet, and just let things play out. LIV still has a lot of work to do getting eyeballs to watch their tournaments (if they care?) Monahan and his staff/lawyers are the only ones that need to be saying anything, but of course outspoken LIV CEO Greg Norman never holds back, so there's always going to be a back-and-forth. It's been a couple of decades now, but Norman tried to start a new golf league before all this happened, and I'm sure the Saudis knew they'd found their guy when they chose Norman to be CEO. I have read that LIV approached Monahan to try to work out some sort of non-conflicting arrangement so they can coexist, but Monahan likely sees that as a "toe in the door" scenario. I'd say if one more top-10/top-15 player leaves the PGA to join LIV, that will force the PGA into some sort of compromise.

1 Scottie Scheffler
2 Cameron Smith
3 Rory McIlroy
4 Patrick Cantlay
5 Xander Schauffele
6 Jon Rahm
7 Justin Thomas
8 Collin Morikawa
9 Viktor Hovland
10 Matthew Fitzpatrick
11 Sam Burns
12 Jordan Spieth
13 Tony Finau
14 Will Zalatoris
15 Billy Horschel

Do any of those look likely (besides #2)? Spieth would be a huge catch for LIV, and he just missed the cut this week, career not going all that well the last few years. (Relatively speaking of course. If I'm playing golf I yell FOREHEAD!! just in case anyone is bothering to watch.)

{Later addition]

Seems I'm not the only only one speculating on who's next. One thing seems obvious: Any of the top players contemplating joining LIV will wait until the FedEx tournaments have finished -- and then watch out!

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/lists/pga ... matsuyama/
Last edited by FOOOOORE! on August 14th, 2022, 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Adelade wrote: August 13th, 2022, 4:53 am Why so much spite... From both sides. How is throwing dung at eachother's camps going to help the situation?

Just rhetorical.
To be fair, most of the "spite" is coming from the PGA. And on the LIV side Norman is always confrontational so it will always be a difficult compromise.
Look at Rory, Thomas, sheffler, Horshel and co. Why are they making it so personal ?? It's hilarious, it's golf for christ's sake, you would swear blind the LIV players are sleeping with their wives.....
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

FOOOOORE! wrote: August 13th, 2022, 12:39 am Monahan should be doing all the talking, it's basically his fight.
It's the members fight. And they're the ones being questioned week in and week out. The media has access to the players every week, and know where to get a quote.
FOOOOORE! wrote: August 13th, 2022, 12:39 am But he seems content to let the players do it for him.
Norman didn't file the suit against the PGA Tour. Isn't LIV his fight?
FOOOOORE! wrote: August 13th, 2022, 12:39 am
I guarantee that next season the PGA will have a totally different look.
Seems like a safe bet. The PGA Tour has fresh faces every year it seems.
No matter where you go, there you are.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

"It's the members fight. And they're the ones being questioned week in and week out. The media has access to the players every week, and know where to get a quote."

Their reply COULD be: "Ask Jay Monahan, I'm here to play golf."
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

What can Monahan do without the blessings of The PGA Tour membership?
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

GoBucks wrote: August 14th, 2022, 2:01 pm What can Monahan do without the blessings of The PGA Tour membership?
Whatever TF he wants. That's one of his detractors' main complaints. It's "my way or the highway" with Monahan. The PGA Tour is not being run as a democracy. Do try to read between the lines of whatever drivel they screech: "It's all about the money"... well yes it is, ON BOTH SIDES!
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Since what is read between the lines is generally based on the viewpoint of the reader, you and I are not going to read the same thing. Our viewpoints differ. I say we just leave it at that and see what happens. :cheers1:
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

I see Cam Smith picked up $3M placing second on the Comcast Business Tour Top 10, not too shabby. But now he has WD from the next FedEx tournament due to a sore hip; still has a chance to win it all despite the WD. And he also mentions he's looking forward to the President's Cup, which comes after the LIV tournament he would be playing were he to defect.
Last edited by FOOOOORE! on August 16th, 2022, 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.