LIV

Enough of the Links talk! Use this forum for real golf and other topics but no religion or politics.
Duck Hook

Re: LIV

Post by Duck Hook »

I give in. What's the point of a new tour trying to innovate when they can do the same thing that has been done to death for the last 100 years?
Maybe they can make the caddies dress up in all the same ridiculous white overalls and have some listless, depression inducing pretentious piano music as in introduction? I don't know? :smile:
Sadly I am past those hospitality golf days as well. Just don't have the stamina anymore.
I like the shorts btw. Phil has great calves, unfortunately he doesn't have the gut to match...
dko

Post by dko »

Love the Phil comment :thumbup:
Doug
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

lol...No worries mate. It's all in fun
:cheers1:
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

I do think LIV needs to make one concession to make it very difficult for the world ranking guys to ignore them, and that's probably going to be playing four rounds. That seems to be what the naysayers focus on, comparing what they're doing now with the Senior's tour. They're thinking "What's next, carts?"
Duck Hook

Post by Duck Hook »

Gonna be hard mate when their entire brand is based on 54 holes.
As Doug has already pointed out, gonna be difficult to market LXXII... )
Personally I just can't see the problem with playing only 54 holes :dunno:
They are quite happy to allocate full points to 72 hole events that are reduced to 54, what's the difference?
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Duck Hook wrote: October 17th, 2022, 9:07 am They are quite happy to allocate full points to 72 hole events that are reduced to 54, what's the difference?
That's true. I think some of these OWGR qualifications are on shaky ground, but they've been accepted because there was never a situation like this. Suddenly these qualifications are under scrutiny, and maybe for the first time many of us are discovering there are 15+ golf leagues, each with its own rules. Which begs the question: How is LIV so much different than all these other leagues, that its members can't also be awarded OWGR points? If it comes down to a lawsuit, that is what they'll be presenting as evidence LIV is being discriminated against.
dko

Post by dko »

For me, the key difference is that 54 holes is an exception not the rule on the PGA, European and other tours, and while it's not that uncommon for it to happen, I believe (but have no facts to support) that it's still a pretty small percentage of tournaments. It's only done to accommodate weather conditions (or something else unusual) and enable the tour to move to the next tournament without too much delay.

You could argue that 72 holes is arbitrary. It's just a standard that has existed for a long time and, until LIV came along, widely accepted for high level male professional golf.

Other than Tiger, how many golfers have kept 54-hole leads?
Doug
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

But I suppose LIV will come back with "So what if the tournament was reduced to 54 holes because of weather? There was still a trophy, prize money, and OWGR points, right? All we're doing different is 54 holes all the time." Another sticking point is no cut. That could possibly be implemented with the whole field still playing by reducing the money available to players who fall below an imaginary cut line, say only able to win 25% of the money that was available for that ranking after the second round. And of course that would allow those who "missed" the cut to play much better in the final round and rise above the cut line. That's just a vague idea, I haven't really considered every detail, but it would keep all players in the tournament throughout the three rounds, which LIV feels is important.

It should get interesting the beginning of January when all PGA players will know what their OWGR ranking is, and decide whether to stay or leave. Of course if targets are being nuked by then, no one will care either way.
dko

Post by dko »

FOOOOORE!

Your last comment sort of puts it all into perspective, doesn't it?

Of course, it's still kind of fun to engage in civil, albeit meaningless, discourse, so I can't overlook the difference between intent (100% 54-hole tournaments) and happenstance (maybe 5%?) no matter what the desperate (chopped) LIVers might say.

:oops: my bias is showing.....
Doug
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

I can't really say I'm pro-LIV. What I like is how they've shaken things up and forced the PGA tightwads to deal with some issues that would never have been resolved without LIV coming out of left field. I'm not in a place now where golf is easily available for viewing (women's volleyball, no problem!), but if I were I'd be peeved if LIV can't get a TV network to broadcast their tournaments and meanwhile some very good players are not on TV anymore; presumably more to disappear in the new year. And as I've said before, LIV has already taken at least one player that was playing at the college level and chose LIV over PGA. If that continues, it eats away at the future of the PGA; those stars have to come from somewhere and when the likes of Thomas, McIlroy, Spieth, and Rahm are ready for the Champions' Tour, there needs to be a wave of good, young players coming up through the ranks. My prediction is that a lot more good players will exit the PGA in the new year, and Monahan will finally have to talk to LIV about a compromise (at which point LIV may reply "Nah, we're good").