LIV

Enough of the Links talk! Use this forum for real golf and other topics but no religion or politics.
bostonlefty

Re: LIV

Post by bostonlefty »

Can someone advise as to how I would watch this week's action at Pumpkin Ridge. Do you need to subscribe to an online portal? Or can it be viewed for free?
I tried to view the first event, but couldn't figure how to access it.

I'm as interested in seeing the course as I am in the golf itself.

I assume the PGA makes their money through corporate sponsorship and television contracts. As near as I can tell, the LIV has hardly any of either. Is the LIV business model to eventually replicate the PGA model? I understand the Saudis have deep pockets, but again I'm assuming they are looking to turn a profit eventually.

BL
JimEvers37

Post by JimEvers37 »

There's currently 62,000 watching it on YouTube for free, the only way I would watch it. I think LIVGolf.com might have a way to stream it for free but I am not sure there is a Watch Now button on that page.

Hope this helps!

Jim

PS - I don't watch it or really care to watch it, I'm disappointed in some of PGA players that went there instead of playing against the best competition, but understand some of the older players motivations (easy $$$) but I still wonder how the tournament environment is, compared to what they were used to (cars, balls, equipment, etc.

I don't remember who said it but I kind of agreed that the shotgun start takes the random draw luck out of when you start your round. I don't like only three rounds and the still don't grasp the whole team concept, the idea of televising the draft is the only part of it that interests me. I was also thinking of posting asking what Links MOPs would you like to see used in a PGA tournament.

I'm also wondering when the first lawsuit hits for these players being denied entry into a tournament, I'm figuring the Presidents Cup or the Masters next April.
Last edited by JimEvers37 on July 1st, 2022, 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Ian Wells wrote: June 30th, 2022, 11:46 am Fooooore!
a veritable meat-grinder process that allows only a very few players to eventually get their PGA ticket
I don't understand what you mean by this. Will you please help me?

If you were the head of the PGA Tour, or the LIV or the DP, how would you allow many players to get their playing ticket, for whichever tour?

Ian
I think this link which I posted earlier, explains it far better than I can:

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/how ... ung-stars/
Ian Wells

Post by Ian Wells »

FOOOOORE!

Thanks for the link, i missed it before.

Each week there is a tournament with a field of 150 or so players playing in the PGA tour and in the Korn Ferry Tour. ON the LIV tour the field is 54.
The article states that it is hard for top amateur golfers to get access to the PGA tour, but I don't know how that can change with a limited field each week. In order to be fair to all the golfers who work every week on their game trying to get into the 175 golfers eligible to play each week, there has to be some form of qualification. The one that exist now may not be perfect nor the best, but what are the options? The article doesn't answer that question other than to say the LIV tour will take all the best college players and pay them big money. Perhaps the writer is correct, but how many college players will LIV take each year? With money being no object anything is possible. (I am still available Greg.)

Ian
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

There's currently 62,000 watching it on YouTube for free, the only way I would watch it. I think LIVGolf.com might have a way to stream it for free but I am not sure there is a Watch Now button on that page.

Hope this helps!

Jim
JimEvers37 wrote: June 30th, 2022, 11:29 pm PS - I don't watch it or really care to watch it, I'm disappointed in some of PGA players that went there instead of playing against the best competition, but understand some of the older players motivations (easy $$$) but I still wonder how the tournament environment is, compared to what they were used to (cars, balls, equipment, etc.
I'm wondering what they're doing for official rulings, like who are their on-course officials? The shotgun start wouldn't work very well for television, but I guess the Saudis don't really care. This whole thing is strictly someone's hobby, and with the money already paid out (and another $2B available now, according to Greg Norman) it will be just about impossible to ever turn a profit.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Ian Wells wrote: July 1st, 2022, 4:50 am FOOOOORE!

Thanks for the link, i missed it before.

Each week there is a tournament with a field of 150 or so players playing in the PGA tour and in the Korn Ferry Tour. ON the LIV tour the field is 54.
The article states that it is hard for top amateur golfers to get access to the PGA tour, but I don't know how that can change with a limited field each week. In order to be fair to all the golfers who work every week on their game trying to get into the 175 golfers eligible to play each week, there has to be some form of qualification. The one that exist now may not be perfect nor the best, but what are the options? The article doesn't answer that question other than to say the LIV tour will take all the best college players and pay them big money. Perhaps the writer is correct, but how many college players will LIV take each year? With money being no object anything is possible. (I am still available Greg.)

Ian
It appears they can buy whomever they want to at the moment; Greg Norman was quoted as saying the Saudis have just ponied up another $2B. As far as the 150 player limit, yes, there would have to be some major changes made. How many PGA tournaments are there a year, 45 or so? And if you're not Vijay Singh, you're probably playing 15-18 of that 45. Surely there's room for a much bigger pool from which to draw those 150 players who tee it up each week. I just find the whole thing fascinating, it's like LIV has hit a hornet's hive with a stick. Hell, I'd "settle" for $10M/year to be an LIV caddie.
bostonlefty

Post by bostonlefty »

Jim

Thanks for the cbssports link/story.

I guess I knew the PGA was a "non-profit," but the article does a good job explaining all the pitfalls they face.

I can't imagine the LIV is planning on being non-profit, this will be interesting to see the shakeout.

A second "try and fail" for me in trying just to view this week's LIV tournament on-line. The YouTube page told me 12 people were watching the golf, the action was hidden behind a screen block I couldn't get past. Might have been my ESET security app, which was warning me about the site.
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Paul Casey just joined LIV. Here's Sergio being Sergio. He spent all these years trying to get the spit-in-the-cup story to go away, but he's never really changed:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/sergio-g ... p1r_4,hp1r
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Henrik Stenson will be next. It will be interesting to see how far this goes.
Adelade

Post by Adelade »

Someone voiced the argument that "by joining the LIV tour, youre not supporting the Saudis, you're robbing them of their money" :laugh: Mostly feels like an excuse, but perhaps they have a minor point (albeit weak)? Im thinking the Saudis arent necessarily interested in turning a profit though, I imagine they see it all as a for-them-very-affordable transaction for the prestige.
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...