PGA Tournament

Enough of the golf talk! Use this forum for other topics but no religion or politics.
Jimbo

PGA Tournament

Post by Jimbo »

Jon Rahm just hit a 401 yard drive on the 600 yard par 5. 13th. I don't care how windy it is no golfer should be hitting 400 yard drives...current legendary courses will be rendered obsolete (at least for PGA events) unless equipment (balls come to mind) are adjusted.
As fate would have it Rahm "pooched" his approach and took a 6🥸....but I stand by my statement!.
John B

Re: PGA Tournament

Post by John B »

This is why I feel that it took more skill to be a great golfer years ago than it does now. Players today play with much more forgiving clubs and balls, and obviously as you pointed out, much longer as well. It took more skill to hit a 3 WOOD into the green on the 15th at Augusta back in the day than it does to hit a mid iron today. Of course this is just one of countless examples. Players today are hitting MUCH shorter clubs into greens today.

Then there's putting. Yes the greens are faster now, but SO much smoother than back in the day. A putt runs more true than it used to. Just watch some old footage of Shell's Wonderful World of Golf. The balls bounced around a lot more than they do now.

But back to your point about the ridiculous distances the players enjoy today ... yeah, I hope the governing body does something about it, because it's a shame that many of the courses are not much more than a drive and a short iron into the majority of greens.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Funny that you should mention the 3 wood. I was having huge problems keeping my Links drives in play-I simply lefy me Links driver in my digital locker and used my 3 wood. My approach shots were a few yards longer but they were coming from the fairway. Once I felt comfortable I put the driver back in the digital club bag and am a lot more accurate.
But when I see pros endorsing "Big" clubs I envisage balls going further into the woods.
I guess that's why most clubs have teaching professionals-I wonder how many of them would recommend BIG clubs or Big Balls?
Insert smilie here...
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

Jimbo wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:22 pm Jon Rahm just hit a 401 yard drive on the 600 yard par 5. 13th. I don't care how windy it is no golfer should be hitting 400 yard drives...current legendary courses will be rendered obsolete (at least for PGA events) unless equipment (balls come to mind) are adjusted.
As fate would have it Rahm "pooched" his approach and took a 6🥸....but I stand by my statement!.
I've always said there's an easy and cheap way to toughen up a course for long-hitters: lengthen the rough and let it grow inward to narrow the fairways, making the penalty for a miss more severe. That's far cheaper than lengthening entire holes and adding more bunkers. It's not just equipment; players actually exercise now, lifting weights and such, and the weights aren't just bottles of beer :D