NASCAR

Enough of the golf talk! Use this forum for other topics but no religion or politics.
Jimbo

NASCAR

Post by Jimbo »

During commercial breaks at Riviera I'm watching the NASCAR race on the Daytona road course (my wife has the car :fear: ) Are there any Good Old Boys out there? If so, what's with the the compulsory yellow flags every 20 laps or so? There's no point in trying to build up a lead.
It's really gimmicky IMHO.
Any answers?

And we also have curling on TV too!
GoBucks

Re: NASCAR

Post by GoBucks »

For the last couple of years, they've broken the races into stages. The top 10 finishers in the stages get points towards the championship run. NASCAR has decided that it's a good idea to throw a caution at the end of the stage. Another opportunity for commercials! I'm not a fan of that, or the split-screen stuff that they and especially golf are doing.
No matter where you go, there you are.
sagevanni

Post by sagevanni »

The 3 stage crap keeps them all.....even cars that are not in contention.....in the hunt even though they have no business being in the running. Also this makes for more "BIG ONE" crashes since everyone basically is in the hunt for the win at the end of stage 3. This is what they think the fans want and it's totally commercialized like all other sports are becoming........I can't wait till someone starts "The Running Man" TV series.

Sage....... :rofl:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Sage-you may have stumbled (crashed?) into the real reason!😉
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

I know several past viewers that are exactly that. Past viewers!
I tend to DVR most sporting events anymore so that I can fast-forward through the "side-by-side" or "playing through" things, along with the endless stream of commercials!
No matter where you go, there you are.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

Lately golf telecasts have become "a lot of commercials with a little golf"!

Pete
JimEvers37

Post by JimEvers37 »

Sorry, just saw this today and had to chime in.

Jimbo - I've been watching the curling too, been hooked since the 90s when CBC used to carry it and then ESPN bought the rights to the Scotties (womens) and Brier (mens) tournaments and then of course the Olympics too!

Sage - If you can get your Running Man on TV you have a viewer here! and you are correct about the yellow flags and stages in NASCAR.

Pete - Yeah unfortunately sports on TV has become background noise and I'm constantly up and moving around the house doing something other than sitting there watching.

Jim
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Jim-here's a bit of trivia that even Canadian curling fans may not know...the Canadian Broadcasting Company's "Voice of Curling" was Alex Trebe.

With respect to games interfering with TV commercials :naughty: ..I think that, as guaranteed salaries and TV contracts continue to go through the atmosphere keep your VCR plugged in.

Didn't you live seeing the Genesis signs everywhetr-from the flags to the tee boxes to...whatever.

BTW for those who may not know that RBC patch on Dustin's shirt denotes a member of the Royal Bank of Canada team. All the Canadian banks have managed to hide references to Canada as the economy continues to gl global. The original intention was to support Canadian golfers on all the tours...how they managed to land Dustin... :whistle:
JimEvers37

Post by JimEvers37 »

Jimbo,

I presume you meant Alex Trebek, I heard about him auditioning or applying to announce on Hockey Night in Canada, but Don Whitman was the voice of curling when I started watching it in the 90s, with Don Duguid. CBC still broadcasts a couple of the lower tier majors like the Masters and Players Championships. I enjoy watching Vic Rauter and Russ Howard on the TSN feed that is on ESPN3. Its almost insulting watching Curling Night in America on NBC Sports where they usually don't show the first four or five shots of an end and then explain the strategy and rules every end like they change from end to end. I used to have a computer game called Granite that was very fun to play but does not work on Windows 10 :rant: .

For my iPad I have an app called TheLastRock that lets me curl against a computer opponent, best curling app I've found!

I do think it is cool how the broadcasters are putting ads on the glass behind the nets in hockey, changing the ad graphic just inside the offensive zones in hockey, and putting sponsor graphics up in bunkers and fairways as the golfers are playing (that's got to be the easiest as I am sure they are using cameras with green screen capability to put the graphics on the fairways.)

I believe the Great One may have helped RBC land DJ.

Jim
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Jim-he did curling for one year...then Don Chevrier, later joined by Doogie when his playing days were done. CBC has pretty much passed the torch to TSN and Sportsnet.
I like the TSN coverage-Vic plays the role of "new spectator" to perfection.
BTW, if you're REALLY into curling you can get netcast from the Asian playoffs.
The "Vic Rauter" of Asian curling is a former Canadian living in New Zealand named Hans Fraunloeb. He has been the only New Zealand ship to have his rink reach the podium and he's done it twice at the world seniors.
I knew him when we curled in Toronto...we actually tried to recruit him for our rink...somehow he had other plans!😆