Windows 10 games list

Enough of the golf talk! Use this forum for other topics but no religion or politics.
Still Linksing

Re: Windows 10 games list

Post by Still Linksing » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:47 pm

The thing of interest with the Simbin games, again, like PGA 2000, it was an update that killed AA for all of the games for everyone. The games did initially run perfectly on Win 10.
Some people are so dedicated to promoting Win 10, can't wait to see what happens when an update kills their fav game! :laugh:
aka Viper

pmgolf

Post by pmgolf » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:53 pm

Still Linksing wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:47 pm
Some people are so dedicated to promoting Win 10, can't wait to see what happens when an update kills their fav game!
I'd rather de-mote Windows 10! I've got a OEM installation disk for Windows 7 (64-bit Home Edition) that I can't get to load because it doesn't have any keyboard/mouse support when it starts (System Builder Edition). Paid $100 for it to use with my new desktop build. Wanted to dual boot with Windows 10.

Pete

Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:10 am

pmgolf wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:53 pm
Still Linksing wrote:
Some people are so dedicated to promoting Win 10, can't wait to see what happens when an update kills their fav game!
I'd rather de-mote Windows 10! I've got a OEM installation disk for Windows 7 (64-bit Home Edition) that I can't get to load because it doesn't have any keyboard/mouse support when it starts (System Builder Edition). Paid $100 for it to use with my new desktop build. Wanted to dual boot with Windows 10.

Pete
You mean the Win 7 install doesn't give you mouse/keyboard support on your hardware?

If that's what you did mean and you are using a USB keyboard/mouse, it's one of the big issues with Win 7 and new hardware. USB ports won't work on the new motherboards under Win 7.
Win 10 really sux. It's all about controlling your options and the hardware manufacturers are buying into it.
I looked to build a Win 7 supported PC but parts are already too hard to come by so had to just go ahead and build a Win 10 system.
aka Viper

Danny D

Post by Danny D » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:53 am

Still Linksing wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:10 am
pmgolf wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:53 pm
Still Linksing wrote:

Pete
You mean the Win 7 install doesn't give you mouse/keyboard support on your hardware?

If that's what you did mean and you are using a USB keyboard/mouse, it's one of the big issues with Win 7 and new hardware. USB ports won't work on the new motherboards under Win 7.
Win 10 really sux. It's all about controlling your options and the hardware manufacturers are buying into it.
I looked to build a Win 7 supported PC but parts are already too hard to come by so had to just go ahead and build a Win 10 system.
Makes me glad that I just built a new used system. :laugh: It's a powerhouse, and only cost a few hundred bucks. At least it will still run the older games & software. :thumbup:

Dan

Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:11 pm

Win 10 1909 is out now.
Not a major update but the question will still probably need to be asked, what will it break??? :dunno: :laugh:
aka Viper

Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:40 am

Just a final Links 2000 update on this thread.

Links 2000 appears dead on Win 10 unless someone can perform miracles.
I will at some point try 2000 using a Win 7 VM on my Win 10 machine. I did in the past try 2000 in a Win XP VM and it didn't work. I will be installing both Win 7 and XP VM's at some point on my Win 10 PC and will try and run Links 2000. I'm hoping a Win 7 VM may give some success. No idea when that will be, won't be soon, too many other things to do. If I find 2000 runs through a VM on Win 10 I'll post back.

With much work, I've found most old games still run fine on Win 10 but very few old games are a straight forward just install and play. You need to fix things that don't work properly as they do under other operating systems.

Golf games are the exception unfortunately, Win 10 is really trying to wipe them out.

Win 10 sucks, stick with Win 7 if you can.
aka Viper

pmgolf

Post by pmgolf » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:11 pm

I admit, I don't know anything about VM's, but on the PC I just built I have Windows 10 when the SSD is the first boot device, and Windows 7 when the 1st boot device is my Seagate Firecuda 1 tb Hdd/SSD. I select the 1st boot device using the BIOS. (I had to buy a new copy of Windows 7 and they're still available) They both work fine, and Links 2003 runs on both of them.

Pete

Still Linksing

Post by Still Linksing » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:15 pm

pmgolf wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:11 pm
I admit, I don't know anything about VM's, but on the PC I just built I have Windows 10 when the SSD is the first boot device, and Windows 7 when the 1st boot device is my Seagate Firecuda 1 tb Hdd/SSD. I select the 1st boot device using the BIOS. (I had to buy a new copy of Windows 7 and they're still available) They both work fine, and Links 2003 runs on both of them.

Pete
If Links 2000 works on a VM I'll post instructions for people on what to do with a VM.
Links 2003 runs great on everything including Win 10. It's a straight forward install and play.
Right now for Links 2003, the biggest benefit are the newest graphics cards and the ability to run FXAA with them. For Links 2003, a new PC, Win 10 is a good option. The biggest issue are Win 10 updates as they can take out an old game at any time. Many of the games that once worked with Win 10 were wiped out with updates somewhere along the line. As Win 10 moves forward, more and more old software stops working.

Win 10 updates can create issues even for some of the new software and games. One of the Win 10 updates caused issues with AA and stuttering in many racing sims, including some of the current titles. The issues are still there and will never be officially fixed neither by Microsoft or the game developers. It's crazy stuff but this is how it is now.
aka Viper