WORLC CURLING CHAMPIONSHIPS

Enough of the golf talk! Use this forum for other topics but no religion or politics.
Jimbo

Re: WORLC CURLING CHAMPIONSHIPS

Post by Jimbo »

Fortunately we couldn't see it here either! This has been a disaster for both our men's and women's teams. Our women still haven't qualified for the Olympics. If China finishes in the top six then the seventh place team will get in. Right now Sweden and Switzerland look solid. Scotland lost to South-Scotland's first loss and the Koreans are better than their record. The Russians are also a solid team.
We may find ourselves in next yers "last chance" qualifying bonspiel against powerhouses like Australia, New Zealand, Turkey, Brazil and Nigeria.
I can't imagine Olympic curling without Canada.
The US looks good...the Shuster Olympic win has been the biggest development in the game. Americans love winners and the growth has been almost instant. As a Canadian I can't cheer for Shuster but his rink has been the biggest thing in curling in the last decade. Canada still has the greatest depth but you can only send one rink to the Olympics and the competition keeps getting better.
JimEvers37

Post by JimEvers37 »

Yeah, no doubt the US Mens Olympic victory has really increased the fandom here in the States but even before that Curling was one of the more watched of the Winter Olympics sports since the Vancouver Games. It is wierd how the US Men have fared reasonably well of late but the Women have not made similar gains. Can't imagine the Olympics Curling without a Canadian team (men or women) but the game has gone more global of late with Sweden, Scotland, England, Switzerland still strong on the World stage. But you watch the Scotties or Brier and know that most of those teams could probably fare pretty well in the Worlds. Another thing to consider for this year is the circumstances of this year's competitions with some of the curlers being in the bubble for almost 7 weeks away from their families, not an excuse but there have been years where Canada did not medal at the Worlds or Olympics.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Canada still (and probably always will) have the most curlers and the most depth but you can only send one rink to the Worlds or the Olympics. Granted, some of the other countries have hand-picked teams but fact is that the rest of the world is getting better-especially in the US-and, to be philosophical (because Canadians always try to see the bright side) it's better for the game.
Although they may not be the best in the world a case can be made for the John Shuster rink being the most important-because Americans started taking the game seriously.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

We just lost to Germany 6-2 while the US edged first year team Estonia 5-3 (Estonia is still winless but they're very good for a first year team) Scotland lost to Sweden 7-4 and the Swiss beat Japan 10-5.
The Swiss are still undefeated-last night they scored a perfect 8-ender against Denmark.

Right now the task for Canada is to manage to make the top 6 in order to get a spot in the Olympics-seriously. If they don't do it here then they'll have to go into the "last chance" competition against powerhouse teams like Australia, New Zealand, Spain, Brazil and Nigeria.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

WE WON!!!!!
We beat South Korea!!!

I guess we won't be getting the Number One Draft Pick,
JimEvers37

Post by JimEvers37 »

Didn't the Men have to go through Last Chance Qualifying to get into one of the Olympics competitions? I think Glenn Howard skipped the team that got them back into the Olympics but I can't find any corroborating evidence of this on the Interwebs.
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Hi Jim-that was to get into the North American Zone for the worlds...we won handily. :smile:
But that's why the US Olympic win was so important. Almost every state (including Hawaii) has a curling association and the only continent that doesn't have at least one national team in Antarctica (slightly ironic!)

Anyway the top 6 teams from this year's world championships (plus China) get automatic berths (the Canadian men barely qualified). The rest of the world will compete in a "last chance" bonspiel-details to be determined. I guess that Brazil and Nigeria will be there (the Nigerian team is based in Denver until a rink is built).

The credit (or blame :smile: ) is because of the advent of Mixed Doubles. It's really opened up the game to the world (at the expense of regular mixed curling).

Anyway after a lengthy delay due to a positive test to one or more members of the media they've just resumed play-but no Youtube or TSN for at least 2 more days. The World Curling website has graphic coverage-but it's not the same. :wallbash:
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

It took an extra end but Canada came from behind to beat Scotland. Suddenly the Olympic spot looks a lot better. The teams that are ahead of us still have to play each other. The only team that's ahead on our schedule is China and if they were to win then the Olympic teams increase to 7, since China is the host country and gets an automatic spot.
The US has a very tough schedule including Russia, Sweden and Switzerland-the three teams that are ahead of them in the standings.
It looks like 6 games could be the "bubble" number for both the playoffs and the automatic Olympic spot.
Unfortunately any ties in the standings are decided by the pre-tournament draw to the button. They don't like sudden-death elimination games...and given the delay in the draw it might be just as well this time.
JimEvers37

Post by JimEvers37 »

Jimbo,

Forgive my ignorance and/or laziness to try to figure it out myself: what is the difference between Mixed Doubles and regular mixed curling? I'll guess that regular mixed curling is a normal 4 person team composed of male and female members while Mixed Doubles is male and female on a team.

Jim
Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Jim you have it! Mixed doubles only has 2 people with 6 rocks thrown and free guards placed. The game goes a lot faster and has had a major role in introducing the game to new places. Regular mixed curling seems to have disappeared.
BTW they're coming down to the wire-I'm thinking that either Canada and/or the US will have to qualify for the Olympics.

Here's the link to the games-you can only see the action in the form of diagrams but that's all we're going to get.

https://worldcurling.org/