Strange happenings here

If you have issues accessing any part of Links Corner this is the forum for you.
Adelade

Re: Strange happenings here

Post by Adelade »

Unless Im completely wrong, it slightly hurts most sites financially to use an adblocker, since then you dont show up in the market statistic for how many people view their ads. Not noticeably so as one single person alone I dont think, but people add up. With many adblockers you can very easily click to disable them on a particular site, for example by clicking its icon top right in the browser. Its a very simple little thing one can do to support a site if one finds the ads tolerable enough :smile: I certainly dont mean to say I think everyone should avoid using adblockers, especially not if having trouble accessing pages...Its everyone's own rightful decision if you ask me, ads suck in my opinion but they do significantly help running the internet after all. I just mean to inform :smile:
Finished Courses - Main: Amedal (fictional), Nine Bridges (real)
Other: Austin, Sheshan, Kauri Cliffs, Le Golf Nat. Updates: Whirlpool, Royal Lytham, Royal St George's, Chicago, Chambers Bay, Munchen Nord E
Working on: 2 fictional courses + a couple things...
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

It's almost certain to be some sort of malware/adware that has been accidentally installed, maybe bundled in with some other download. Very common, and phones are getting targeted just as much as laptop/desktop machines these days. Just a few weeks ago, my wife had the same sort of problem. Click on certain links and she would get redirected to ads for various things. We never did track down how she got that, but it's likely you have something similar.

And the creators are getting sneaky with how these work. They sometimes don't start to work until a certain perios of time has passed. Days. That way, you don't associate the download you made (for example) 5 days ago, with the new ads that started popping up today.

BTW... while I do have an adblocker on my laptop browser, I disable it for this site, as well as some others. Seems onl yfair, the hosting for our courses are free, so is the help and advice on these forums. So if I can replay that in some small way by allowing adverts, then I do. :thumbup:

Cheers, AJ
AJ Allen

Post by AJ Allen »

Adelade wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 4:49 pm Unless Im completely wrong, it slightly hurts most sites financially to use an adblocker, since then you dont show up in the market statistic for how many people view their ads. Not noticeably so as one single person alone I dont think, but people add up. With many adblockers you can very easily click to disable them on a particular site, for example by clicking its icon top right in the browser. Its a very simple little thing one can do to support a site if one finds the ads tolerable enough :smile: I certainly dont mean to say I think everyone should avoid using adblockers, especially not if having trouble accessing pages...Its everyone's own rightful decision if you ask me, ads suck in my opinion but they do significantly help running the internet after all. I just mean to inform :smile:
Yes, indeed it does. I am a web designer by trade, as well as run and design my own sites. I have used Adsense for many years, and seen the decline in payments since Adblockers came on the scee. As an example, one website of mine used to bring in about us$500 a month. With the same amount of traffic it would be lucky to make $75 a month now. So yeah, income is way down with Adsense. And some people have a sense of entitlement... it is their RIGHT to browse the internet, get free help, information, downloads, but how dare the webmaster ask that they see a few ads to help pay the bills.People like that really annoy me.

Cheers, AJ
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

This ad is full page and blocks my progress to the page I was going to, plus it logs me off of this site, both of which are a major intrusion into my internet use! Ads are one thing, redirecting you to another page and stopping your progress to the site you were going to is another. And logging you off your site is still another! Give me justification why I should allow this to happen. I'm blocking the sucker! Don't tell me you wouldn't too!

Pete
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Seems to me to indeed be strange, given that you seem to be the only one affected. Have you, by any chance, restored to a date prior to this happening?
No matter where you go, there you are.
Andy
Site Admin

Post by Andy »

pmgolf wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 5:59 pm This ad is full page and blocks my progress to the page I was going to, plus it logs me off of this site, both of which are a major intrusion into my internet use! Ads are one thing, redirecting you to another page and stopping your progress to the site you were going to is another. And logging you off your site is still another! Give me justification why I should allow this to happen. I'm blocking the sucker! Don't tell me you wouldn't too!

Pete
I'm 100% sure that this issue is nothing to do with Google Adsense but I do agree that it is unacceptable for you and you need to get to the root of the problem. Hope you succeed. :thumbup:
GoBucks

Post by GoBucks »

Have you had any luck resolving this issue Pete? Inquiring minds want to know. :smile:
No matter where you go, there you are.
pmgolf

Post by pmgolf »

It is resolved. The blocker worked.

Pete
FOOOOORE!

Post by FOOOOORE! »

It's called "redirection" and 100% due to something else you clicked on or installed. It can be difficult to get rid of sometimes, even with anti-virus , ad-blockers, etc. installed. I would start with a tiny, free utility called WhatInStartup. There is no installer with it, you just create a folder, put it there, and run it. It shows you every single program that starts up when you run Windows, and you look it over for anything suspicious. You can disable things from starting up; I also use it to NOT have legitimate software I installed start up with all their little tag-alongs, like "update checkers", "online agents", and whatever else they call themselves. You'd be surprised what actually starts with your system when you boot up. A couple of other useful utilities can be found there too.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/what_run_in_startup.html

(and I mean -tiny-, 73KB!)