Please support Links Corner    



Swing hard in case you hit it. - Dan Marino
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Polls & User Reviews
($) Babylon Ridge by Mike Jones (7/2003) View older topic :: View newer topic  

How do you rate Babylon Ridge??
Ace
62%
 62%  [ 55 ]
Eagle
23%
 23%  [ 21 ]
Birdie
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Par
4%
 4%  [ 4 ]
Bogey - Must be accompanied by an explanatory post!
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 88

Author Message
cougar24



Joined: 01 Nov 2003
Posts: 7599
Location
somewhere in RF..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: ($) Babylon Ridge by Mike Jones (7/2003) Reply with quote

http://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=1317


What do you think of Babylon Ridge??

Unsure

Please vote in the poll.

After you vote, please leave a few comments or some feedback for the designer
about his course and why you voted the way you did.



Thanks

Thumb Up


From the readme:

Rules

Quote:
Babylon Ridge by Mike Jones

Welcome to the readme file for Babylon Ridge.

The course, set in the foothills of the Rocky mountains, is designed to test your skills and your nerve to the limit! After the critical success of Atlantic Point I decided to try something a little more "in your face" as regards course strategy. Many of the greens here nestle up against the edges of the lakes requiring brave and skillfull play to attack some of the more difficult pins. The hole previews will supply tips and advice as you play to help you around on your first round. After that, your own experience may be the better guide as the sound of balls splashing into the water is still fresh in your mind!

The contruction of the course has used all the new techniques that I've been learning over the past year since the release of apcd 1.5. The bunkers have an extra blend this time bringing the total number per bunker to 4. This time the outside edges of the traps are blended with a very subtle lighter shade of rough as you might expect the raised edges of the traps to be higher and slightly dryer than the surrounding grass. Most will never notice but for those that do it will be a nice effect. Both lips are blended as is the inside of the bunkers.

The textures for the course went through several incarnations before I settled on these. Having seen the movies and screen shots of Links 2004 for the xbox, I was impressed with the textures they used. Although looking quite lush and green, they still managed to convey the realistic humps and bumps of a real golf course through some subtle shading. I have tried to replicate that look and I'm very pleased with the results, I hope you like them too.

As for the reason behind the name of the course ...... I think I'll keep you guessing! :)

I've included two recorded rounds in the zip for you to play against and laugh at. "Wreck at the Ridge" and "Jones comes good" There was one mulligan in the later as icq crashed links back to the desktop mid swing............ honest!



----------------------------------------------------

Known issues - There is one slight bug in the course that I have been unable to fix regardless of the help I've had from some of the top designers in the apcd community and also not a small effort on my part. On one part of the course and only from a certain angle there is a glitch in the reflective water. Its a very small glitch but as you know I pride myself on making the courses as good as I possibly can and so any flaw no matter how small is a cause for many late nights trying to fix it. The conclusion is that, as there are no apcd errors found, that its a small bug in the rendering engine of links that gets confused when another unseen lake in the distance is slightly below the level of the lake in the foreground. There is no way to alter this without changing the character of the course as the lakes are integral to the playability. The glitch is purely cosmetic and doesn't impact playability at all. If you notice it and it bothers you, turn the graphics detail slider down to 3 in your links graphics options and it goes away completely.




Credits

I've been very fortunate on all my courses to have had the help of some of the most generous and gifted people in the world of computer golf simulations.

Daniel Fahlen, Chris Perry, Eddie Schmidt, Art Patscheck, John "Daly" Esser, Rick Weathers, Kristoffer Selberg, Wayne Hewit, Matt Woodbridge, Mike Frank, IanD, Dexter Gresh, Bill Bunning, Scott Barker, Dave Campbell, Dave Russell, Jorgen Ekroth, Fourputt (Rick Priebe), Yannick Trives, Andrew Jones, Aussie Gus, Mick Prendergast, DaveB(Golfdawg), Jim Burns, Guenter Kujat, Wolfgang B, Harry Colt (although he'll never know) All the guys at Firehead's (JP) forums and many, many more.

Microsoft, and Access before them, for giving us the fantastic links series. Also for providing simply the most powerful tool for visualisation and creation of golf courses on the computer today - the awesome APCD. Thanks guys.



----------------------------------------------------


Website features

I have a recorded round and saved shot section at my web site www.mikejgolfdesign.com so please e-mail me your greatest rounds, best shots, lucky bounces etc to mj@mikejgolfdesign.com and I'll post the best of them up for other players to share.
I'll also be running competitions on my site from time to time for anyone that buys my courses, so keep a look out for them. If you want to use the textures from this course on your own design please give me a mail and I'll be happy to pass them on to you.



---------------------------------------------------



If you have any comments please drop me a line at mj@mikejgolfdesign.com or visit my web site at www.mikejgolfdesign.com.

Babylon Ridge is ONLY available through www.apcd-courses.com . If you have received this course through any other means you are in probably in possesion of an illegal copy please mail me with where you got the course so I can look into it further.

Thanks for taking the time to read this far and I hope you have many happy rounds at Babylon Ridge.


The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age. - Lucille ball


...
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
guitarget
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:05 pm    Post subject: ($) Babylon Ridge by Mike Jones (7/2003) Reply with quote

Babylon Ridge is on the standard play rotation around here since I got it. As with all MJ courses, you have to think your way around, but I prefer that. I can't wait to buy Rugged Dunes.

binkyt



Joined: 22 Dec 2003
Posts: 424
Location
Patterson Heights, PA, USA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: ($) Babylon Ridge by Mike Jones (7/2003) Reply with quote

I recently bought all 9 of Mike's 2K3 courses at once. I'd give them all aces, except for this one. Of course, the APCD work is perfect, as is to be expected, but this is the one course out of all of his that just doesn't grab me. The layout just is not as interesting as his others, the challenge not as great. Over the long haul, this course will naturally be compared to Crystal Pines (due to the mountain setting, and some other similarities), and CP just crushes it.

Mind you, I'm not trashing the course - I still gave it an eagle based on technical merit and playability, plus Mike's usual great hole previews - but you just expect the guy to hit a homerun everytime out. That's probably not fair, but it's the way it is.


View user's profile Send private message
Albie



Joined: 01 Nov 2003
Posts: 2335
Location
St. Mary's, Maryland

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: ($) Babylon Ridge by Mike Jones (7/2003) Reply with quote

Ace. Anything with Mike Jones' name on it is an Ace.

Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart !

Life is a Series of Choices, Decisions and Consequences !

Deciding not to choose, is still making a choice !

Failing to Plan, is a Plan to Fail !

Those That Judge, Don't Matter. Those That Matter, Don't Judge !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ICQ Number
Markeymark



Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Posts: 84
Location
Hawaii

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: ($) Babylon Ridge by Mike Jones (7/2003) Reply with quote

I don't care for the mountain background (brown, out-of-focus hills, hard to tell distance.) I also noticed what might have been a less than perfect seam blend on the front nine, but I'll have to play it again to make sure.
Other than that, this course is a clear Ace. The landscape and feel are simply great.


View user's profile Send private message
MainerTodd



Joined: 01 Nov 2003
Posts: 3951
Location
Washington, DC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: ($) Babylon Ridge by Mike Jones (7/2003) Reply with quote

Another ace.

It's surprising that this course seems to have gotten so much less attention than MJ's other courses. It's a shame, too, since I think it's one of his most appealing. The dark textures give it a different look than many of his other courses--richer and even more natural, if that is possible. Every one of Mike's courses is a masterpiece in its own unique way; it's really astonishing how he is able to master so many different types of courses.


The instinct of a man is to pursue everything that flies from him, and to fly from all that pursue him.
-Voltaire
View user's profile Send private message
Sisyphus



Joined: 07 Nov 2003
Posts: 1353
Location
Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: ($) Babylon Ridge by Mike Jones (7/2003) Reply with quote

MainerTodd wrote:
Another ace.

It's surprising that this course seems to have gotten so much less attention than MJ's other courses. It's a shame, too, since I think it's one of his most appealing. The dark textures give it a different look than many of his other courses--richer and even more natural, if that is possible. Every one of Mike's courses is a masterpiece in its own unique way; it's really astonishing how he is able to master so many different types of courses.


Yep. I have all his courses and though this is probably his least
talked-up, it's still one of my favourites to play. Don't know why that
is - just appeals to me.
MT, it seems by your recent postings that you've finally managed to
purchase some MJ courses - I hope them all - in which case you
have a lot of hours of pleasure ahead. Congratulations.


Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?


T.S. Eliot (Choruses from "The Rock)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nate Dogg



Joined: 01 Nov 2003
Posts: 3726
Location
Upstate NY

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: ($) Babylon Ridge by Mike Jones (7/2003) Reply with quote

Sisyphus wrote:
MainerTodd wrote:
Another ace.

It's surprising that this course seems to have gotten so much less attention than MJ's other courses. It's a shame, too, since I think it's one of his most appealing. The dark textures give it a different look than many of his other courses--richer and even more natural, if that is possible. Every one of Mike's courses is a masterpiece in its own unique way; it's really astonishing how he is able to master so many different types of courses.


Yep. I have all his courses and though this is probably his least
talked-up, it's still one of my favourites to play. Don't know why that
is - just appeals to me.
MT, it seems by your recent postings that you've finally managed to
purchase some MJ courses - I hope them all - in which case you
have a lot of hours of pleasure ahead. Congratulations.


I think he "won" the whole MJ course collection by correctly answering Mike's trivia question in this thread:

http://www.linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15366&start=0

MikeJ wrote:
There's a golfing related 'ate' that Ben Hogan used to swear by. First one who gets the correct answer wins my p2p courses


MainerTodd wrote:

one more try: rotate

or supinate

MikeJ wrote:

Supinate - Ding Ding! Clap

Well done, check your pm's


Another nice gesture by Mike, although some would still try and claim he's a greedy pig. Laugh

As for BR, it's not my favorite MJ course, don't really know why--but it's still a fun and interesting layout with of course flawless APCD work and is aesthetically pleasing--reminds me of Utah--and it's nice to see a Mountain course from Mike (along with Crystal Pines). As are all the rest of his courses, this one is still an easy Ace. Thumb Up






Champ Classic, No Grid, Close-up, Top Cam Only

It takes a lot of balls to golf like I do!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MainerTodd



Joined: 01 Nov 2003
Posts: 3951
Location
Washington, DC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: ($) Babylon Ridge by Mike Jones (7/2003) Reply with quote

Yes, I am indeed the recipient of an unexpected act of charity. As one might guess from the shrine I have set up in my room, Mike is now my own personal god. Naughty

Since I had only previously bought MJ's first four courses, I am now slowly working my way through the newer ones. Not a bad way to spend my evenings!


The instinct of a man is to pursue everything that flies from him, and to fly from all that pursue him.
-Voltaire
View user's profile Send private message
Sisyphus



Joined: 07 Nov 2003
Posts: 1353
Location
Nova Scotia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: ($) Babylon Ridge by Mike Jones (7/2003) Reply with quote

Sorry, I missed that.
How fortunate that you can now participate in such a cornucopiate.
'nuff.


Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?


T.S. Eliot (Choruses from "The Rock)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cougar24



Joined: 01 Nov 2003
Posts: 7599
Location
somewhere in RF..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:35 am    Post subject: ($) Babylon Ridge by Mike Jones (7/2003) Reply with quote

MainerTodd wrote:
Yes, I am indeed the recipient of an unexpected act of charity. As one might guess from the shrine I have set up in my room, Mike is now my own personal god. Naughty

Since I had only previously bought MJ's first four courses, I am now slowly working my way through the newer ones. Not a bad way to spend my evenings!


Congrats Mainer.. Clap

Btw, you forgot the Not Worthy Not Worthy Not Worthy 's after the word "God".
No No


Laugh

Secret some of us call him "God" because he shapes his courses in a magical way...almost like who he's named after did a billion moons ago..

Not Worthy


The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age. - Lucille ball


...
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wizard



Joined: 19 Dec 2005
Posts: 564
Location
Michigan U.S.A.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: ($) Babylon Ridge by Mike Jones (7/2003) Reply with quote

Ace! There isn't a M. Jones course out there that's anything but.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Acrilix



Joined: 14 Sep 2006
Posts: 2286
Location
Bedford, UK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: ($) Babylon Ridge by Mike Jones (7/2003) Reply with quote

Ace. I really think there should be a voting option above ace, simply called MJ. Not Worthy

Mod 1.07 - Pro powerstroke - No top cam - No grid
APCD Designer - Margaret's Bay, Ackerton Cross, The Dustin Trophy Par 3 Challenge, Battley Peak, Anakena Beach, Mowsbury GC, Darwin Point, Elsham Woods,
Yarlswood Golf Club, Fairview GC, Upham Hall Golf Club, Masson Moor, Zeitsbergen
View user's profile Send private message
wizard54



Joined: 21 Mar 2004
Posts: 86
Location
Portland, Oregon

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: ($) Babylon Ridge by Mike Jones (7/2003) Reply with quote

I agree that this course deserves an ace based on it's looks and Mike's always "The best" technical mastery," It is beautiful. Not Worthy I'm not sold on the design though. While it doesn't stray into fantasy, it is chalk full of Mike's Devil "Gotcha" type design. Good tee shots that are kicked off of overly sloped fairways into deep rough and onto severe slopes, leaving your next shot from a hanging lie in the deep stuff, over water to a small green with water on three sides and sloping so severely away from you that you're thanking providence that there is deep rough behind the green to keep your ball dry. When almost every shot on every hole is trying to be the hardest shot on the course it just becomes tedious to play. Be sure to hit every (narrow) fairway and every tiered and lumpy green here, because scrambling probably ain't gonna happen. Be within ten feet of the pin and on the right side of it or you will have your share of 3 putts.
It is a great course to use for a major championship where a lot of the players would be complaining about how the course is setup anyway. I know that it's a thin line between cleverly deceptive and overly penal. On this one it seems the latter to me. Wall Bash Eagle


View user's profile Send private message
Jerry Garlisch
Course Manager


Joined: 01 Nov 2003
Posts: 3992
Location
Sun City Center, Fl 33573-6654

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: ($) Babylon Ridge by Mike Jones (7/2003) Reply with quote

wizard54 wrote:
I agree that this course deserves an ace based on it's looks and Mike's always "The best" technical mastery," It is beautiful. Not Worthy I'm not sold on the design though. While it doesn't stray into fantasy, it is chalk full of Mike's Devil "Gotcha" type design. Good tee shots that are kicked off of overly sloped fairways into deep rough and onto severe slopes, leaving your next shot from a hanging lie in the deep stuff, over water to a small green with water on three sides and sloping so severely away from you that you're thanking providence that there is deep rough behind the green to keep your ball dry. When almost every shot on every hole is trying to be the hardest shot on the course it just becomes tedious to play. Be sure to hit every (narrow) fairway and every tiered and lumpy green here, because scrambling probably ain't gonna happen. Be within ten feet of the pin and on the right side of it or you will have your share of 3 putts.
It is a great course to use for a major championship where a lot of the players would be complaining about how the course is setup anyway. I know that it's a thin line between cleverly deceptive and overly penal. On this one it seems the latter to me. Wall Bash Eagle


Yes, BUT it is a course that you do not go out on and play blind. It takes a few rounds of practice to learn those nuances. Kind of IRL golf. Thumb Up So IMHO that does not deter it from receiving an ACE rating. Clap

Jerry


God grant me the SERENITY to accept the shots I miss, the COURAGE to never give up and the WISDOM not to throw away my clubs in the water.

KISS Tours www.kisstours.com

Links Corner Course Manager
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail ICQ Number
bobbytatfla



Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: ($) Babylon Ridge by Mike Jones (7/2003) Reply with quote

i've been playing Mike Jones courses for many years,and think he is
about the best there is at APCD! however, when i try to order one of
his courses now, i'm redirected to, apparently, his new business website.
i cannot find a way to order from this website.
can anybody shed some light on this development for me ?
thanks in advance.


View user's profile Send private message
Ted H.



Joined: 26 Jul 2008
Posts: 31

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: ($) Babylon Ridge by Mike Jones (7/2003) Reply with quote

bobbytatfla wrote:
i've been playing Mike Jones courses for many years,and think he is
about the best there is at APCD! however, when i try to order one of
his courses now, i'm redirected to, apparently, his new business website.
i cannot find a way to order from this website.
can anybody shed some light on this development for me ?
thanks in advance.


All of Mike Jones' courses are now at the apcd-courses site. I've bought two of them myself in the last week.

http://www.apcd-courses.com


View user's profile Send private message
bobbytatfla



Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: ($) Babylon Ridge by Mike Jones (7/2003) Reply with quote

thanks, TedH, !

View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Polls & User Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
 

Golfer: Do you think my game is improving? Caddy: Oh yes, sir! You miss the ball much closer than you used to.