Please support Links Corner    

Real golfers don't cry when they line up their fourth putt. - Anon
Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004)Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  

How do you rate Quidnet Golf Club??
Ace
73%
 73%  [ 139 ]
Eagle
19%
 19%  [ 37 ]
Birdie
5%
 5%  [ 11 ]
Par
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bogey - Must be accompanied by an explanatory post!
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 189

JW

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

Wow -- 2 bogeys. I must be twice as special.

Crabcakes and football!! That's what Maryland does!!
geikie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

60 Ace votes.
16 Eagle Votes.
3 Birdies.
0 Par

And you mention a few bogie votes?

JW, let it go. I think everyone knows those two votes are not someone's true opinion, but maybe those are.

I just don't see why you need to comment over two low votes out of so many votes while most designers don't get half the votes on a poll you seem to have.

I haven't see a number of these people who voted for your course on the forums on a regular basis vote for and write things on other courses- so you have people coming out to vote. Be glad.

I still think this is an eagle course and cannot believe the comments I got for just saying a lot of it was too much mike and that I did not change the rating for that, I did not see the playability, some bunker issues, etc... and gave this an eagle. People got all over me. You stated no one got on me directly because my vote was not an ace. Guess again. Prospect and others were like, "Dude I can't believe you did not vote an ace."

You know, I am not sure which is worse, you taking the time to write about two stupid little bogie votes or me taking the time to point that out.

JW, its a great course, let it go. So what if you have two bogie votes. What's the big deal. You worked hard and it shows and you put out a great course. 60 Aces. I think you should be happy over the 60 votes and thankful for that, and not worry about 2 bogie votes.

Anyway.

^~^~^~^^~^~^^~^^~^~^^~^~O~^~^^~^~^~^~^~^^~^~^~^
GEIKIE
Pro Click since 2001
Scoring average 66
Designer NO | Tournaments NO | Career Mode NO
JW

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

Geikie -- it's a joke (and one that has nothing to do with you). We all always joke about the bogey man. We know they're not real votes. It's a joke. This has nothing to do with you at all so settle yourself down. Talk about letting it go. Sheesh.

MainerTodd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:43 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

JW, I wish I had another vote, so I could boost you up to three bogeys. Then it could be thrice as nice...

Happy

The instinct of a man is to pursue everything that flies from him, and to fly from all that pursue him.
-Voltaire
geikie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

JW,

Be that as it may, as some here understand this is just a joke and you were only continuing the joke by your response, I am only pointing out that others who do not spend the amount of time here as the regulars do - may see this as yet another reason not to take the time to write mini reviews, or even vote.

So while I understand this seems to be an ongoing joke to you few, I think others see this as a reason not to get involved and state opinions.

In truth, because I felt I had to defend myself so much over one opinion about your course, I do not intend to write any more opinions about your courses so we can call a truce. Surrender But I do intend to do so for others. I even went as far as to remove all my other opinions on this thread just to get away from this ganging up.

Even Crusader, who is well known and well respected was leary about posting your course at #49 in fear of the response his opinion may receive. That said, he did need to come in and somewhat defend his opinion in the end. Guys came in and said basically, how can you rate this #49? Because it was his opinion. Had Crusader not been so well respected I am sure the likelyhood of scaring someone off would be evident.

So while you see this as a joke, I fear others see this as an excuse not to write anything they deem would be controversial and so we miss out on many people's opinions. So while you state this has nothing to do with me, I disagree. I want to see a forum where people can post their opinions and not get totally bashed for them.

Recently, vivo rated a course that she felt had an unfair shared green and stated part of her reason for her rating was because she had to putt through a second pin to the proper pin for that green. And while I would not change the rating due to a particular shot, this was one of her reasons to justify her rating. So I can then take it as I want. vivo stated the reason, and i can reject that reason yet continue to see what other factors were used to base the opinion and rating.

If someone would have come and slammed vivo for stating the birdie rating was due to one particular shot, then maybe vivo would be less motivated to write anything more in the future.

So fine, a long understanded running joke about bogies. I just feel comments made not only satisfy the persons who rated the bogie and promotes them to continue rating those bogies in the future, but intimidates future mini reviews and takes out the motivation from others to want to get involved in writing anything. So yes, I think that concerns all.

Sorry, just my opinion.

GEIKIE
Pro Click since 2001
Scoring average 66
MainerTodd

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

Geikie, I think you're making too much of this. I don't think you understand what JW meant. He doesn't see the voting as a joke. Rather, the appearance of the "bogey man" is a running joke here at LC: every time a really good course comes out, it almost invariably gets at least one bogey, and the mysterious bogey man never explains why he voted that way. That's all JW meant...and in my opinion you're being unfair for criticizing him over this. Your point is well made, but it really has nothing to do with the "bogey man."

The instinct of a man is to pursue everything that flies from him, and to fly from all that pursue him.
-Voltaire
Chad

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

voting was easy: ACE design, Jon! sorry i didn't have time to make the cameo logo and splash for you. it looks like grooch handled that no problem. Thumb Up

good luck with future designs. are you still thinking of Congressional or has that project been shelved?

Definition of Boring: Radio Golf
JW

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

Thanks Chad -- I'll catch you on the next one.

Giekie -- Drop it already dude. Crusader and I had a nice public discussion and no one got riled up. Everything is fine -- it's called intelligent debate. It's healthy.

I've also explained every way I know how why you for jumped on -- if you'd not deleted your posts and taken your ball and gone home, you'd see clearer.

You create these mini-dramas in your head so just move on and leave me alone. Thank you.

geikie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:58 am    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

JW

Fine. You win. I'll just shutup. What do I care.

GEIKIE
Pro Click since 2001
Scoring average 66
IanD
LC Past President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:48 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

I think the duel between you two can be let go for now please... whoever decides to post next, please, ensure it isn't intended for the other. This may be the best healthy direction to take in any disagreement.

JW

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

Thank you Ian. Apologies for any disturbance.

Scientist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

ACE..............(it's beyond me how 2 could vote this a bogie or worse)

I'd rather have a full bottle infront of me than a full frontal labotomy.......
chuck147
Official LC Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

Fantastic course in every way. Beautiful, fun, interesting, great APCD work and lots of extra's. Couldn't be better! Easy ACE vote for me! Thumb Up

Be cool!
Skeggy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

A definate Ace... This is a thinking mans course.. It doesnt pay off to go blasting down the fairways.. and you need to know where on the fairways its safe to land the ball . I've had many a well struck ball roll off into the rough...

This will certainly stay on my hard drive and will be visited on mainy occasions

freddy101

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

one of the best
go dude
all the way
ACE
freddy

Albie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

Just got around to playing this. Been away from the computer a lot recently.

ACE ! Clap Clap Clap

Thanks JW.

Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart !

Life is a Series of Choices, Decisions and Consequences !

Deciding not to choose, is still making a choice !

Failing to Plan, is a Plan to Fail !

Those That Judge, Don't Matter. Those That Matter, Don't Judge !
Cyclone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

Eagle. Some of the greens seemed more imaginary, like they involved changes to the landscape to get the desired effect. That doesn't change the fact that the course plays extremely difficult. I took a few mulligans on the back nine while doing some wind-related experiments, and happened to overshoot a par 4 green on the first shot three consecutive times in those experiments (I finally took a chance at it and ended up scoring par...that angered me greatly Chair). The planting is very well done, and I ran into a snag on 18 because my tee shot landed not very far from a tree that blocked access to the green; I was fortunate to save a par on this hole. Also in regards to imaginary situations, the wind kept my tee shot short of the green on 16...that rock wall is impossible to climb with anything other than a loft wedge, which I fortunately had in my bag. It adds a nice touch of beauty to the course, but that doesn't make it better...I prefer a natural rolling surface, nothing like a rock wall in the way. So no Ace from me for this one, though still a difficult course and one I will be keeping.

Cyclone

Acquired Links 2001: Christmas 2000.
Acquired Links 2003 Championship: August 9, 2004.
-----
"His nerves. His memory. And I can't remember the third." - Lee Trevino on the three things that go as a golfer ages.
arnydgreat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

Yes, i was one of the 5 people to give this a birdie.
However, its my fault, not JW's that i didnt rate it higher.
I just dont see the fascination you all have with links-style courses. I dont think they look interesting, and i dont think they are interesting to play for me.
But with that said, i must say that JW did a magnificent job of creating one of these courses. For a links-style course, this is so well done, JW has shown tremendous apcd talent here, and deserves an eagle or ace for his apcd work.
As you all know by now, when a course does not have the playability i like in my game, i do not rate it higher than birdie, but this is not a knock on JW, he did supberb. He has all the right to be pissed at my birdie rating.
I would love to see the others who rated this birdie and bogie (insane and hopefully a joke as you say JW) to have the balls to say who they are and why they rated it like this.
JW, you have created a course here that most on the forum will love and play a million times, good job.

ITS GREAT TO HAVE FRIENDS ALL OVER THE WORLD THRU THIS FORUM!!!!
Cyclone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

I want to know who gave it that bogey...it wasn't THAT bad. Tongue

Cyclone

Acquired Links 2001: Christmas 2000.
Acquired Links 2003 Championship: August 9, 2004.
-----
"His nerves. His memory. And I can't remember the third." - Lee Trevino on the three things that go as a golfer ages.
Nate Dogg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

Ace all the way. Magnificent course in every regard. And it was free to boot! Punk

Sort of reminded me of a few other courses, like Royal Country Kilderry and Prairie Dog, but still had its own unique character which made it stand out. Yes

I personally like the pano a lot and think it fits the course well. The course is very well designed with a lot of strategy mixed with some target golf and is very enjoyable to play. Some of the fairways are tight but in most cases there is a "safer" route...and I enjoy the risk-reward aspect of many holes. Accuracy is way more important than power here. I love the greens--they are very well designed and fairly sloped--they are a bit small, but I guess I don't mind as I have a good chipping game. Devil

Who cares if the textures are from Mike Jones--I'm using Mike's 2001 textures from Pacific Breaks and I think they look great in my course. Clap The textures and planting look very good, the hole previews are excellent, the bunkers look superb, and there is great attention to detail, e.g. sounds (a lot of them are the same ones I'm using for my course, like the crow and the dogs Naughty ) and planted objects like the lighthouse, cranberry bog, steps, sand-filled divots in the tee box, etc.

So to sum it up...outstanding job JW. Not Worthy Thumb Up

P.S. So now we have two "bogey-men" in this forum??? Unsure Laugh

Champ Classic, No Grid, Close-up, Top Cam Only

It takes a lot of balls to golf like I do!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Polls & User Reviews All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to:  

Golfer: Do you think my game is improving? Caddy: Oh yes, sir! You miss the ball much closer than you used to.