Please support Links Corner    

If I were you, I'd lay off for a couple of weeks...and then quit. - Jimmy Demaret to Johnny Carson
Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004)Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  

How do you rate Quidnet Golf Club??
Ace
73%
 73%  [ 139 ]
Eagle
19%
 19%  [ 37 ]
Birdie
5%
 5%  [ 11 ]
Par
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bogey - Must be accompanied by an explanatory post!
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 189

cougar24

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

http://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=1475

What do you think of Quidnet Golf Club??

Unsure

Please vote in the poll.

After you vote, please leave a few comments or some feedback for the designer
about his course and why you voted the way you did.

Thanks

Thumb Up

From the readme:

Rules

Quote:
QUIDNET GOLF CLUB
by Jon Weinrieb

Welcome to Quidnet Golf Club, a fictional, linksland-style course set on Nantucket Island, Massachusetts. The course features 4 sets of tees ranging from 5,794 to 7,187 yards and plays to a par of 72. Thank you for downloading the course. I hope you enjoy your experience.

Quidnet is the name of a hamlet on the easternmost portion of Nantucket. There is no real golf course in Quidnet, but Nantucket Island plays home to several excellent courses, including Nantucket Golf Club and Sankaty Head Golf Club. The latter sits directly across the Sesachacha Pond from Quidnet and is visible from many of the homes in Quidnet. Like Quidnet, it is set atop a gorgeous piece of scrubby linksland rarely seen on this side of the Atlantic.

With Sankaty and Nantucket GC in mind, I crafted Quidnet out of the Siasconset/Quidnet DEM in an effort to obtain the most realistic look and feel to a course featuring both subtle and significant elevation changes. I think you will find that those moderate hills keep Quidnet GC both interesting and challenging without being unfair or repetitive. The course is straightforward but hardly a pushover. The fairways narrow and the deep grass comes in at critical points, necessitating accurate, long drives as well as sensible lay-ups and approach shots. Some strategic diagonals mixed in with the occasional blind shot require the player to call on his most sensible iron and fairway wood play in order to position the ball on the proper section of the green to avoid a difficult two-putt. Several of those blind shots can be averted by playing to the proper side of the fairway off the tee.

Despite the obvious challenges, the player will find some relief on the reachable par-4 15th, several reachable par-5s and the little par-3 16th. The hole previews, courtesy of Dexter Gresh (“Grooch”), are an excellent guide for the player and, as on most links courses, are a near necessity on certain holes. Heed the advice they provide (the pro tips are reprinted immediately below for your convenience).

PLAYER’S GUIDE & PRO TIPS:
-=edited out to save post space=-

Out (3,756; 3,469; 3,255; 3,028)
In (3,431; 3,249; 3,071; 2,766)
TOT (7,187; 6,718; 6,326; 5,794)

CREDITS:

Let me please apologize at the outset here if I forget anyone who helped me with Quidnet. I eventually kept a list of those who assisted me with the course but started late and perhaps forgot someone. If I did, I sincerely apologize. This course would be nothing without everyone who helped me.

First and foremost I must thank Rick Weathers (“Kwixilver”) and Dexter Gresh (“Grooch”). Rick did an absolutely spectacular job with the pano and Dex came in with amazing work on the tee markers, splash screen, cameo, and hole previews. They both also offered invaluable advice and testing feedback throughout the construction of the course. Thanks for all your hard work, guys. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate both the time you spent and the quality of the work you turned out.

Next I must thank Mike Jones for not only helping over the past few years understand approximately 20% of what he does with regard to the APCD but also for giving me the fabulous textures that you see on the fairways, roughs, greens and sand, as well as a number of 2D objects that adorn the course. Thank you, Mike. You’re the best in the biz.

In addition to Mike’s kind donations, several additional objects and textures were borrowed from other designers, both directly and from public downloads. These include: Wayne Hewitt, Art Patscheck, Ross Mackenzie, Mitch Sirk, Johnny Holland, and Grant Morrison. Thanks guys. I very much appreciate your work and generosity.

A huge thanks also goes out to Mick Prendergast (“Rehit”) and Andrew Jones (“Mogulbasher”). They kindly hosted the alpha and beta courses, as well as the final, at apcd-courses.com. They also offered technical advice on the APCD here and there through the process. Thanks guys.

Many thanks as well to the Ape -- Dave “DLunatic” [anyone know his real last name? I believe the FBI is after him]. Luni worked on the cranberry bog texture and also graciously hosted the beta forum. Like Mick, Dave and John Pineda (“Firehead”) provide another fantastic golf COD site. There ya go, Ape. One more read me for ya. 

I would also like to express my appreciation to Art Patscheck (“Crow357”) for helping me many times to understand what I consider to be our very own “weapon of mass destruction” -- the APCD. Although I’ve been fairly self-sufficient for a while now, there was a time when I knew little (I still do compared to most of these guys) and Art answered many questions and wrote a helpful book that helped me to decipher the morass that is the APCD. I hope that Art’s hand allows him to return to designing soon so that we may all enjoy more of his top-shelf work.

Chuck Clark and Pat Auge (“Prospect”) also assisted me in various stages of the design with some general help and thoughts on course designing. Thanks guys.

Thanks also to the great team of alpha and beta testers: Pat Auge, Wayne Hewitt, Lars Rudbeck, Chris Cline (“Kodiak 5150”), Kelly (“Kmancpbh”), Sodbuster, Bob (“KC Jammer”), and Lance. Thank you all for your constructive feedback. It was instrumental in shaping the course.

JD did nothing.

FINAL NOTES:

Just as a small word of warning and apology, the Quidnet .CRZ picked up a bug somewhere along the line whereby all the grass objects decided to try and render shadows. They do not actually render any shadows but they think they do, so the .SHA file is larger than I would like (it is about 14MB -- nothing crazy but not as tidy as it is supposed to be). There is nothing I can do about this and have tried every trick in the book and enlisted the help of the best and brightest out there; to no avail. Other courses have been afflicted with this annoying bug, such as Chuck Clark’s gem, Prairie Dog. It is not a big deal and frankly the only time you should detect it is the very first time you play the course. Links will take a little time to build the shadow file. Once that is done the first time out, you should not notice much at all. I am sorry for any inconvenience. Such is life with the APCD.

You will also find a recorded round in the zip file. I played Elite Click in B/F/F conditions with custom hole locations (6 easy; 6 moderate; 6 difficult). Have a go against me and see how you do. Considering how little I played while the course was under construction, you should be able show me around the course!  But then again, it is my course.

Well, that’s about it. Good luck everyone and enjoy your stay on Nantucket. I truly hope you have a great experience here. It was a pleasure to build for everyone.

--Jon Weinrieb

Last edited by cougar24 on Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:22 am; edited 1 time in total

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age. - Lucille ball
kevin tee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

Easiest vote I ever cast for a non-MJ course...ACE!! Design and planting are fantastic, pano is a perfect seamless match, hole previews are exceptional and I love the cranberry bogs!

If you have not downloaded it, go get it. If your not a member at apcd-courses, join and then download.

Thanks Jon for a job very well done.

marrich

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

A C E! This is one of the very best courses available. Jon put all his efforts into Quidnet, and it sure shows. A real beauty. Punk

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
mashie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

ACE, rivals the best of any course yet designed!

Fourputt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 5:57 am    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

Ace!! Thumb Up It doesn't get any better than this.

Rick - Champ RTS (No grid) Mod only
Curt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

Definite ACE. Get it now!!!!!!!!!! Clap Thumb Up

My designs:
Edgbaston Golf Club - released August 2006
Wentworth West OWGC08 - released October 2008
Sisyphus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

Ace all the way.
Depending on personal taste, there may be courses out
there as good but there are none better.

Bill

Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?

T.S. Eliot (Choruses from "The Rock)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WassupDawg

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:12 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

Definitely an ace. The design, textures, pano are all the best I've seen yet. Very realistic and a lot of fun to play. Challenging, but not unfair. My new #1! Yes

CobraPro

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

excellent course, excellent layout...incredible experience...loved every hole...i TRIED to find something wrong...an couldn't . One of the best course to date...in my top 5 of all time for sure...great job JW...well deserving of an Ace !!

Last edited by CobraPro on Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Robie - Champ RTS , no grid.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gary c

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

An ACE!!!!

Great texture work and planting, I especially like the bunker seam blending, it has a hazy look to it.....nice touch.

A gorgeous looking course, thanks to Jon for sharing.

Gary

Palm-Aire C.C., Pompano Beach, FL
RicDS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

So when is this knock-out of an ACE production going to be available locally (i.e. LC)?

apdog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:22 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

It's probably an ace, but I gave it an eagle because of one flaw _ I hit it short on the par-3 16th _ just short about 40 feet from the pin. I could find no way to get it on the green short of hitting it backwards _ it kept hitting the board wall in front and bouncing back to the same spot.

Baby Punk

Still, a great course.

dg

VegasMike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:33 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

kevin tee wrote:
Easiest vote I ever cast for a non-MJ course...ACE!! Design and planting are fantastic, pano is a perfect seamless match, hole previews are exceptional and I love the cranberry bogs!

If you have not downloaded it, go get it. If your not a member at apcd-courses, join and then download.

Thanks Jon for a job very well done.

For me as well, it's an easy vote for an ACE; and I've only seen the screenshots! As you said, everything looks (pardon the pun) PICTURE PERFECT!

"Ninety percent of the putts that are short don't go in" -- Yogi Berra
JW

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:46 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

apdog wrote:
It's probably an ace, but I gave it an eagle because of one flaw _ I hit it short on the par-3 16th _ just short about 40 feet from the pin. I could find no way to get it on the green short of hitting it backwards _ it kept hitting the board wall in front and bouncing back to the same spot.

Baby Punk

Still, a great course.

dg

Sorry you didn't like the wall, dg. I realize everyone has different likes and dislikes on hole design. But, respectfully, I do not see it as a flaw. It is a defense to an otherwise simple little hole that plays a mere 130. Watch the British this week at Troon and you'll see guys having the same issue at the Postage Stamp -- taking 3 to get out of a steep-faced trap, playing sideways out of greenside and fairway bunkers. St. Andrews has a wall against a hole, MJ did it on Kilderry on a short par 3, so these types of things are out there. If it fronted a 470-yard par 4 or was 25 feet high, that's one thing but as I see it, it is a penalty for missing an easy shot. You play one sideways, chip up and take your bogey. It's not like you cannot get away -- you just have to go sideways.

Crabcakes and football!! That's what Maryland does!!
granite00

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

JW wrote:
apdog wrote:

Still, a great course.

dg

Sorry you didn't like the wall, dg. I realize everyone has different likes and dislikes on hole design. But, respectfully, I do not see it as a flaw. It is a defense to an otherwise simple little hole that plays a mere 130. Watch the British this week at Troon and you'll see guys having the same issue at the Postage Stamp -- taking 3 to get out of a steep-faced trap, playing sideways out of greenside and fairway bunkers. St. Andrews has a wall against a hole, MJ did it on Kilderry on a short par 3, so these types of things are out there. If it fronted a 470-yard par 4 or was 25 feet high, that's one thing but as I see it, it is a penalty for missing an easy shot. You play one sideways, chip up and take your bogey. It's not like you cannot get away -- you just have to go sideways.

JW, I couldn't agree more!

Aloha,
granite00
Fourputt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

apdog wrote:

Baby Punk

Still, a great course.

dg

The answer is.... Don't be short here. Laugh I took one look at that wall and set up one click farther back than I thought I needed, just for insurance. Chipping from the back fringe is pretty easy. This course is designed to keep one on the ball and thinking about club selection and aiming point on every shot, and this hole is no different. Go for a back pin on this hole, and don't mess with a front one... or take your medicine like a man when you miss. Surrender

Rick - Champ RTS (No grid) Mod only
NO-PUTT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:58 am    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

ACE!! Clap Clap Clap

"I haven't had this much fun since I dropped a banana down my pants and someone turned a monkey loose."

www.linksanimasters.com
strat~man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

.................bogey because of the blue and maize flags...........damn wolverines........ Whip

................................................ Laugh ..........................................................

just kiddin'...........ACE all the way..............a really fun course to play JW

Soundclick.....
Myspace.....
dazedcat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

Not to be redundant but.................stone cold ace.

Regards;

"Yo, bartender, Jobu needs a refill." -- Eddie Harris
Kirsche

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Quidnet Golf Club by Jon Weinrieb(7/2004) Reply with quote

without a doubt...

...an ACE. Everthing is fantastic. Great playability, beautiful textures, planting and pano. This enters my top ten for sure, allthough I don´t like the cranberry bogs. It nearly looks like you have forgot to assign a texture. I know they exist and have seen pictures of them but they don´t fit to the rest of the landscape. Sorry, only my 0,02 $.

Apart from that, one of the best ever. Clap Clap Clap

Greetings
Dietmar

http://home.arcor.de/dietmar.kirschner/
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Polls & User Reviews All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to:  

A "gimme" can best be defined as an agreement between two golfers...neither of whom can putt very well. - Anon