16%
 16%  [ 14 ]
Birdie
5%
 5%  [ 5 ]
Par
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Bogey - Must be accompanied by an explanatory post!
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 87

cougar24

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Atlantic Point G.C. by Mike Jones Reply with quote

http://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=1291

What do you think of Atlantic Point G.C.?

Please vote in the poll.

After you vote, please leave a few comments or some feedback for the designer about his course and why you voted the way you did.

Thanks

From the readme:

Quote:
Atlantic Point G.C.

Welcome to the read me file for Atlantic Point G.C. Here you will find some background information on the course and its creation.

First of all I've always had a fascination with the ocean and I can't think of anything better in golf than playing a great course set on the oceans edge. In real golf this is not always possible as these places tend to be closed off or out of the price range for the majority of players. Not so with Links 2003 :) For a one of green fee you have lifetime membership of Atlantic Point G.C and I hope you have many happy rounds here. If you sneaked on without paying the green fee - shame on you, but then you probably wouldn't be bothering to read this either!

After completing ShadowLands in December I started to update a couple of my older 2001 courses, DriftWood and Kilderry to use the new features of the apcd 1.5. While I was doing that and for a change of scenery I started to work on an ocean side course inspired by the likes of Kingbarns in Scotland. After making the basic coastline I meshed in the first hole (which has turned out to be the 4th in the completed version) and did a few trials on the coastline to see if I could come up with something that looked good by using the new seam blending features of apcd 1.5. After quite a few aborted efforts I came up with a nice set of varied shades of water and then made the waves to go with them. After mapping the textures and doing some trial plantings I was very pleased with the look and decided that I would continue on to make the full course.

I wanted this course to look rugged and untamed and as such I needed to come up with a new way to do the bunkers as I didnt want to use the revetted technique that I had used on Royal County Kilderry and Northern Dunes. I wanted a sand blown look with rough faces and ragged grassy edges. Lots of experimenting then took place and the final look is something that I'm very proud off. There are many textures and seam blends that went into each bunker to create this look and although time consuming, when you see them in play I think you'll agree it was time well spent! BTW you may want to clip a towel to your bag before you play. There are no ball washers or bins to spoil the natural landscape here. Just tees, flags and you :)

The layout is strewn with bunkers, some in the fairway others off to the side - you will have to plot your way through this sandy minefield and with many of the bunkers hidden off the tee this will not be easy. If you play this course without the top cam or hole previews you will undoubtedly get a few nasty surprises!

The green complexes are undulating and tricky, after a few rounds you will start to learn the no go areas and the places to miss to leave yourself easy chips and putts.

To me, a good course will always have a little bit of mystery to it. Pins half hidden and deceptive lines off the tee make for a course that will uncover itself only slowly. Patience will be rewarded and reckless abandon punished, SEVERELY! :)

I hope you have fun discovering the ins and outs of Atlantic Point.

Last edited by cougar24 on Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:58 pm; edited 2 times in total

MainerTodd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Atlantic Point G.C. by Mike Jones Reply with quote

I don't play this course very often...probably the curse of having too many good courses for Links. But every time I do play, I love it. The whole setting is just amazing--I remember loading up the course for the first time and being blown away by the scenery. The hole design is, as usual on a Mike Jones courses, inventive and fun. You really have to think your way around this course, or you could be in for a frustrating day. There are numerous opportunities for risk/reward shots, including a classic seaside short par-4 on the front nine. A definite ace from me.

The instinct of a man is to pursue everything that flies from him, and to fly from all that pursue him.
-Voltaire
fasttrack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Atlantic Point G.C. by Mike Jones Reply with quote

Ace.

Is a poll even necessary for this course? Really?

marrich

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Atlantic Point G.C. by Mike Jones Reply with quote

fasttrack wrote:
....Is a poll even necessary for this course? Really?....

Whistle

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
AaronMyers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Atlantic Point G.C. by Mike Jones Reply with quote

fasttrack wrote:
Ace.

I'm guessing it is if it is to be tied to the "user review" section of the course listing. I believe it takes 15 votes before it appears?

Anyway, an obvious ace from me.

arsam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Atlantic Point G.C. by Mike Jones Reply with quote

ACE

This was the very first course that I downloaded anywhere. What an introduction to the world of APCD. This is still one of my all time favorites.

cougar24

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:53 am    Post subject: Atlantic Point G.C. by Mike Jones Reply with quote

fasttrack wrote:
Ace.

IMO .. yes...

At the very least it lets someone know how good/bad each course is.

I was hoping that players would add comments about the course too..

Every month I'm going to add more courses from last year.(2003)

Hope this answers your question.

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age. - Lucille ball

VegasMike

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Atlantic Point G.C. by Mike Jones Reply with quote

Pure and simple, ANY Mike Jones course rates an ACE in my book; and Atlantic Point is no exception! Cheers

"Ninety percent of the putts that are short don't go in" -- Yogi Berra
guitarget

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Atlantic Point G.C. by Mike Jones Reply with quote

Mike Jones creates computer golf courses that I want to play, again and again. I will never remove a Mike Jones course from my hard drive for lack of play. The man creates golf holes that stay in my head after the game is over. Drool

Yes, I'm catching up on my voting - is that ok? Whistle

wizard

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Atlantic Point G.C. by Mike Jones Reply with quote

Catching up as well. ACE! Thumb Up Comes in at the number 10 spot on my personal rankings.

bscott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Atlantic Point G.C. by Mike Jones Reply with quote

Other than Burn's Old Links this is the toughest MJ course to score on
for me. I love the understated stategic bunkers on this course. Ace all
the way, just brilliant.

Has anyone ever noticed the practice holes in the middle of the plot with
the Merion wicker basket like pins?

I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and my father.
Acrilix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: Atlantic Point G.C. by Mike Jones Reply with quote

This is my favourite MJ course, though they're all magnificent. Clap
Playing this again just reminds me what a fantastic game this Links 2003 really is!!!
ACE...ACE...ACE...ACE...ACE... (not my scorecard, just my opinion Laugh )

Mod 1.07 - Pro powerstroke - No top cam - No grid
APCD Designer - Margaret's Bay, Ackerton Cross, The Dustin Trophy Par 3 Challenge, Battley Peak, Anakena Beach, Mowsbury GC, Darwin Point, Elsham Woods,
Yarlswood Golf Club, Fairview GC, Upham Hall Golf Club, Masson Moor, Zeitsbergen
wizard54

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Atlantic Point G.C. by Mike Jones Reply with quote

Another masterpiece of workmanship, but I'm not a big fan of random bunkers in narrow landing areas surrounded by tall grass. A lot of Mikes courses are the most difficult I've played in links. They should be posted with with "Only for advanced players or when you're in the mood to get you're butt kicked", signs. It's a good thing they look so great. This course works great as a replacement for the OPEN courses we don't have though.

Kwixilver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Atlantic Point G.C. by Mike Jones Reply with quote

One of my all-time favorite MJ courses. Seems to play differently everytime I tee it up...but, always a challenge. And, the pano is fantastic...hehe. Mike got me started doing pano work and I've done several for him since. My wife hates him...lol.
Thanks for everything, MIke.

Rick

Xilver Series Designer - Pano Master
http://xilverdesigns.20m.com/
Xilver (something) in progress
Aviara 2010 in progress
"Don't be a prique, embrace the clique."
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Polls & User Reviews All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Golfer: That can't be my ball, caddy. It looks far too old. Caddy: It's a long time since we started, sir.