Please support Links Corner    

Real golfers never strike a caddie with the driver. The sand wedge is far more effective. ~Huxtable Pippey
Royal Lytham and St. Annes 2004 by Bill BunningGoto page 1, 2  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  

How do you rate Royal Lytham and St. Annes 2004??
Ace
56%
 56%  [ 81 ]
Eagle
36%
 36%  [ 53 ]
Birdie
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Par
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Bogey - Must be accompanied by an explanatory post!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 144

Andy
Links Corner Admin
Links Corner Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Royal Lytham and St. Annes 2004 by Bill Bunning Reply with quote

http://www.linkscorner.com/courses/course.php?crz=1460

What do you think of Royal Lytham and St. Annes 2004
by Bill Bunning
??

Unsure

Please vote in the poll.

After you vote, please leave a few comments or some feedback for the designer
about his course and why you voted the way you did.

Thanks

Thumb Up

From the readme:

Rules
Quote:
Changes from the 2001 version include tweaking the course, new textures, seam blends, lots of bunker work, 3D buildings, and reworking the panorama. One know issue is the fact that crowds planted in the grandstands sometimes appear floating outside the grandstand from a distance but close up appear correctly planted. My e-mail is bunz28@mchsi.com.

Hope you enjoy the course.

Bill Bunning

Last edited by Andy on Mon Jul 05, 2004 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

MainerTodd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Royal Lytham and St. Annes 2004 by Bill Bunning Reply with quote

Easy vote for me, an ace all the way. I really liked the old version, and this one is a solid improvement. The textures look terrific, and the bunkers are amazing: I think that's the best texture I've seen so far for sod bunker walls. If the train noises had accompanied me on every hole, I would have found them a bit distracting, but since (from what I can tell) they only pop up on a few of the holes, it's actually a nice touch, and helps add to the realism. In short, a terrific update to an already great links venue.

The instinct of a man is to pursue everything that flies from him, and to fly from all that pursue him.
-Voltaire
fasttrack

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Royal Lytham and St. Annes 2004 by Bill Bunning Reply with quote

I course I've played IRL, watched Sevvy win The Open there twice so I'm a little biased - but it is a really strong recreation of an absolutely fantastic and classic golf course. The original 2001 version was an ace for me - this one too. However.....................

It looks a little too green for me. My memories of Lytham are of the fairways (in the summer at least) having a more 'parched', browner look about them. But I'm being a little pedantic probably. Also, the 17th IRL is a very tough par 4. The original re-created this fairly well. The new version seems a little easier. Or maybe I'm imagining it. Has it been changed in anyway?

Links Fan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Royal Lytham and St. Annes 2004 by Bill Bunning Reply with quote

Awesome recreation, Bunz. A definite Ace. Thanks for sharing it with us!!
Thumb Up Not Worthy Thumb Up Not Worthy

~ Give the world the best you have and the best will come back to you. ~
Zip-A-Dee-Do

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Royal Lytham and St. Annes 2004 by Bill Bunning Reply with quote

Scored an ace with this one. Lovely rendition, Bill. Very nice details and very accurate.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Links Wow Stats: 15 Aces, 4 Double Eagles
Last Ace: Jan 06 2012 - Gooseneck Bay 2nd hole, 184yd 5-iron
Last Double Eagle: Jan 23 2008 - Sorento GC 8th, 222yd 5W
BPC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Royal Lytham and St. Annes 2004 by Bill Bunning Reply with quote

fasttrack wrote:
It looks a little too green for me. My memories of Lytham are of the fairways (in the summer at least) having a more 'parched', browner look about them.

Could we please not bring up memories of Royal Lytham & St. Annes?

Laugh

Easy ace, ace if there ever was one, ace all the way, ace if the cup were 2 inches....et al.

Clap

I know a fine thing when I see it. For the same reason no one ever pointed a telescope at the sun.
MainerTodd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:37 pm    Post subject: Royal Lytham and St. Annes 2004 by Bill Bunning Reply with quote

BPC, we don't mind you sharing personal photos, but what kind of ballet pose is that? Your left foot is much too flat.

The instinct of a man is to pursue everything that flies from him, and to fly from all that pursue him.
-Voltaire
fasttrack

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Royal Lytham and St. Annes 2004 by Bill Bunning Reply with quote

Actually, that guy (his name escapes me) has developed some notoriety over here these pass few years. Something of a 'serial streaker'. Don't know what his story is, but he's done the World Snooker Championships, some big football matches and famously casually strolled across Centre Court at Wimbledon once - during a ladies match no less - with the words "New Balls Please" written over his chest.

Anyway, sorry for that.......back to the golf.

Laugh

Links Fan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Royal Lytham and St. Annes 2004 by Bill Bunning Reply with quote

He looks a little like Dave Feherity from the neck up, doesn't he?

~ Give the world the best you have and the best will come back to you. ~
Frank C

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: An Ace Reply with quote

Not the nude guy, the course. A great time playing this course. Narrow fairways took from my score and some weird bounces on the greens went the wrong way. A feeling like you were really there playing golf.

I give the nude guy a double bogey.

fasttrack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: An Ace Reply with quote

Frank C wrote:
I give the nude guy a double bogey.

Laugh Laugh Very good.

Frank ......wait till the re-worked 2005 version of "The Nude Guy" comes out. I heard he's been practically living down the gym.

Frank C

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: oh my!! Reply with quote

really?

question... When you say 2005 version. Does that mean it will require a new game? Or will we be able to play it and 2005 versions in 2003? I heard that 2003 would be the last version of the game.

Big Three

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: oh my!! Reply with quote

Frank C wrote:
really?

question... When you say 2005 version. Does that mean it will require a new game? Or will we be able to play it and 2005 versions in 2003? I heard that 2003 would be the last version of the game.

Mr. Rogers wrote:
Can you say sarcasm boys and girls. I thought you could.

Frank C -

They are just making a joke about the picture.

Sarcasm wrote:
I hear that at least they will be using custom textures on the nude guy

BTW - This is a great course. Ace through and through. If you haven't downloaded - what are you waiting for?

Big Three Cool

~ Sarcasm is just one more service that I provide ~
fasttrack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: oh my!! Reply with quote

Frank C wrote:
really?

Big Three, I think you'll find that the response from Frank was 'in the same spirit' of having a bit of fun.

Surely? Erm

Sarcasm wrote:
I hear that at least they will be using custom textures on the nude guy

Big Three, I like your idea of using your alter-ego to say stuff for you. I must try that. Funnily enough, my alter-ego is called 'sarcasm' too. Small world! Laugh Laugh

Frank C

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: naked as a jay bird Reply with quote

Who knows? If a guy can put an eagle in a tree at Eagle Mountain, why not a nude in the crowd at Royal Lytham? It could start a whole new trend.

I am 66 years young and I enjoy games like Links. I have arthritis and using the mouse is good for my hands. I was a playtester for Talonsoft at one time. I tested War games like West Front and Rising Sun. The company went into a different direction, and stopped producing war games, but West Front, East Front, etc still lives because of clubs that share scenarios. The Blitz, etc are active and will continue to be active. The same can be said for Links. People will continue to make courses and add to the game. Just a few thoughts.

Dave L

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Great Games Reply with quote

Frank C wrote:
I was a playtester for Talonsoft at one time. I tested War games like West Front and Rising Sun. The company went into a different direction, and stopped producing war games, but West Front, East Front, etc still lives because of clubs that share scenarios.

Wow - I just got a bigger hard-drive and was considering re-installing West Front & East Front. Never played Rising Sun, though.

Great games live on, don't they? Thumb Up

As for Links - if we keep getting new versions of old 2001 courses as good as this version of Royal Lytham & St Annes, then this version of Links will live for a long time.

Frank C

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 2:40 pm    Post subject: World at War Reply with quote

Talon released a final version of their popular war games that i mentioned. I think it was called World at War or World in Flames or something like that. The expansion pacs for West Front, East Front and Rising Sun were added also. You may be able to find it if you are interested. I helped write some of the Rising Sun player's guide. I am also a character in a scenario for Rising Sun.

Fourputt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Royal Lytham and St. Annes 2004 by Bill Bunning Reply with quote

Ah....hem..... Back to the topic.

This is a great updating to the original RL&SA. By some miracle I managed to make it around for 18 holes and only hit one of the fairway pot bunkers. And I still managed a birde 4 on the hole. Clap Finished at -6 with afew ups an d downs on the back nine.

Ace from me. Thumb Up Punk

Rick - Champ RTS (No grid) Mod only
thekennyman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:26 am    Post subject: Gr8 Job Bill Reply with quote

Its so great i deleted your first course after playing 9 holes, and that was one of my favourites, this one so good it's up there with the P2P courses. As for it being too green, thats the old UK weather, a wet or dry month can change a course alarmingly. Anything from lush green to a burned up brown. I just think its a great course, and an excellent rendition of a classic 18 holes.

Thanks very much for this Gem Bill, OldKenny.

still trying to ace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 6:15 am    Post subject: Royal Lytham and St. Annes 2004 by Bill Bunning Reply with quote

The only reason I voted the way I did was because of all the noise on the whole course, very distracting and annoying to say the least.

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Polls & User Reviews All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them. - Harry Tofcano