Please support Links Corner    

I will shoot my age if I have to live to be 105. - Bob Hope
Muirfield VillageGC 2003 by Pete Frydrak/Kevin Hill (5/2004)Goto page 1, 2  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  

How do you rate Muirfield Village Golf Club 2003??
Ace
9%
 9%  [ 10 ]
Eagle
33%
 33%  [ 34 ]
Birdie
41%
 41%  [ 42 ]
Par
13%
 13%  [ 14 ]
Bogey - Must be accompanied by an explanatory post!
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 102

cougar24

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Muirfield VillageGC 2003 by Pete Frydrak/Kevin Hill (5/2004) Reply with quote

http://linkscorner.org/courses/course.php?crz=1439

What do you think of Muirfield Village Golf Club 2003??

Unsure

Please vote in the poll.

After you vote, please leave a few comments or some feedback for the designer
about his course and why you voted the way you did.

Thanks

Thumb Up

From the readme:

Rules

Quote:
Muirfield Village Golf Club 2003
This is an update to the 2001 version done by Kevin Hill.
Kevin did a very good job in recreating this course using the APCD. After I checked with Kevin last June and found out that he was not going to update the course, I started working with it.

The biggest change is the redesign of the 17th hole. The 17th was lengthened to 478 yards. It will now play as one of the more difficult holes on the course. I was at the course last year during the tournament and spent time early one morning stepping off yardages to the bunkers. I also used an article from the Memorial Tournament magazine that had a section view of the new hole that showed the slopes of the terrain. That, along with watching hours of video tape of players playing the 17th, I think I got it pretty close.
Some of the other changes that were made:
• Updated to some of the newer textures.
• Seam Blended the bunkers.
• Replaced the player’s paths on most of the holes with rough that is mowed back to the tee areas. This is the way the course was mowed for the 2003 tournament.
• Added some bird sounds throughout the course.
• Added some rocks in the creeks in some areas.
• On the 12th hole, I moved the “back tee” to the left hand tee area. The pros play from this tee on the weekend.
I’m sure that I made some other changes but I didn’t document them at the time. I got a lot of feedback from a friend who has worked as a Marshal at the Memorial Tournament for the past 10 years. He also helped beta test the course.

Muirfield Village Golf Club has asked that this course recreation should not be used for commercial gain, so I’m adding the following EULA.
END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT
This course should be distributed freely on a non-commercial basis only. I do not grant you the right to sell or, or otherwise distribute this course in exchange for value.

Please submit any feedback about the course on the Links Corner website User Reviews Forum.
If time permits, I’ll make updates and release a future version.
Enjoy Muirfield Village Golf Club 2003,

Pete Frydrak
aka, Sixwood

Secret Should Kevin Hill be listed as a co-designer for this course?

Last edited by cougar24 on Fri May 14, 2004 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age. - Lucille ball
MainerTodd

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: Muirfield VillageGC 2003 by Pete Frydrak/Kevin Hill (5/2004) Reply with quote

I like it, though I'm not sure it's that big an upgrade over the 2001 version. To be honest, I wasn't all that fond of the textures, so I traded them in for some alternate high-res textures. I lost the 3d objects by doing so, but I think it was worth the tradeoff. Other than that, it's nice to have some seam blending on the bunkers, and (although I'm no expert on how the course "should" look) it's always nice to know that the elevations are as close to reality as they can be. I think Sixwood has done a nice job of touching up Kevin's original design, and I'm thankful for all of the work that both have put into this course. Thanks, guys!

mojo

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Muirfield Village Golf Club 2003 by Pete Frydrak (5/2004 Reply with quote

cougar24 wrote:
Hmm i also thought so, but wasn't 100% sure, because it is not the usual "teamwork" like at other courses. Anyway, it's done now
Whistle

It's 106 miles to Chicago ...
Sixwood

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Muirfield Village Golf Club 2003 by Pete Frydrak (5/2004 Reply with quote

cougar24 wrote:

Thanks for starting the poll.

I saw where Kevin is listed as co-designer. That's cool. The thought had crossed my mind a few times since it was his original design that I was updating.

Links Fan

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Muirfield VillageGC 2003 by Pete Frydrak/Kevin Hill (5/2004) Reply with quote

Enjoyed playing the updated Muirfield Village. No frills but good solid challenging golf. Gave it a birdie. Thanks for the update Pete!

~ Give the world the best you have and the best will come back to you. ~
Big Three

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: Muirfield VillageGC 2003 by Pete Frydrak/Kevin Hill (5/2004) Reply with quote

A much appreciated update. Muirfield has always been a good solid design, and it continues to be so with some new clothing. Having this PGA Tour venue is a definite plus. I gave it a birdie.

Big Three Cool

~ Sarcasm is just one more service that I provide ~
dw

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Muirfield VillageGC 2003 by Pete Frydrak/Kevin Hill (5/2004) Reply with quote

Add my appreciation for this update. Ever since the original 'Jack Nicklaus Unlimited Golf and Course Design' game came out for the Amiga/PC way back when, Muirfield Village has always been one of my favorite virtual courses. In fact, I still have the original JNUG manual that has a short history of the course development and a hole by hole description by Nicklaus on how he went about creating each hole. It was my first glimpse into course design philosophy. Always a fun course to play, and now even better.

Qrt

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Muirfield VillageGC 2003 by Pete Frydrak/Kevin Hill (5/2004) Reply with quote

It is indeed a nice design.

Unfortunately we have discovered a problem when playing this course online (direct connection). Suddenly, and at no particular time and place on the course, one player will get desktopped without a warning. Resuming the game doesn't seem to help either (with or without re-booting). As soon as the course has loaded, the player in question will be desktopped again, unfortunately leaving the game impossible to finish.

We have experienced this on both a host and a remote player. Has this happened to anyone else while playing this course, and how did you work around it? I think the course is much too nice to be put away because of a problem like this.

Please advice. Any suggestion will be welcome.

Help

MainerTodd

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Muirfield VillageGC 2003 by Pete Frydrak/Kevin Hill (5/2004) Reply with quote

Qrt, are you sure it's this course alone that's causing the problem? I'm thinking it might be something to do with video drivers. What video card do you have? What drivers are you currently using? Often, updating to a newer set of drivers will help solve problems like this. Several times in the past, I have had trouble with courses--both APCD and MS courses--crashing at random times. After updating my video drivers six months ago or so, I haven't had any more problems. I'm not saying that new video drivers will necessarily solve your problem, but it's certainly worth a try. I hope you are able to figure out a solution, because crashes can certainly be frustrating.

Qrt

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Muirfield VillageGC 2003 by Pete Frydrak/Kevin Hill (5/2004) Reply with quote

@Mainer Todd

Thanks for your suggestion, but I'm afraid that the video drivers are not to blame. We have experienced the incident happening on two different computers with completely different hardware setups. One is running a Radeon "something" card, and the other (mine) is running a GeForce card - with the latest drivers installed to boot.

So my theory is is that its not a driver issue. We have been playing countless other courses online, with only the 12th hole on Augusta causing similar problems sometimes during Links 2003 play.

Zip-A-Dee-Do

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Muirfield VillageGC 2003 by Pete Frydrak/Kevin Hill (5/2004) Reply with quote

I had expected a bit more from this 2k3 version. Still a solid design though. Birdie for me.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it."

Links Wow Stats: 15 Aces, 4 Double Eagles
Last Ace: Jan 06 2012 - Gooseneck Bay 2nd hole, 184yd 5-iron
Last Double Eagle: Jan 23 2008 - Sorento GC 8th, 222yd 5W
Sixwood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Muirfield VillageGC 2003 by Pete Frydrak/Kevin Hill (5/2004) Reply with quote

Thanks to all that voted and posted comments.
Thanks Chuck, for the constructive criticism on the review.
If I can find the time to sharpen my skills in using the APCD, I may do another version.
Pete Yes

Kevin Hill Orlando

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: Heyyyyyyyyy! Reply with quote

I'm back!

I took some time off from here and in the process, moved to Orlando! Life is full of changes, some better than others.

I have yet to download the new 2003 updates to Muirfield, but it sounds pretty good. I never was good enough to figure out those bunker edges and stuff like that. I'm glad that some people still play the course as old as it's getting. I'm surprised that no one else tried to re-create it. It was a lot of work (for me anyway).

That's fine (me being listed as a co-designer). I think everyone knows that anyway. I'm not that picky about it.

*For those having issues with the 2003 version crashing, I might have an idea for you. I had a similar problem with the 2001 version crashing. That's why I came out with version 2.0 a few days after the first version. It turned out that because most of the creeks were connected (and very, very long), and all the same texture....some video cards had trouble calculating the reflections (or something like that). I broke up the creek into smaller creeks by putting another water texture under some bridges where they wouldn't be seen. It seemed to clear up the lockups.

If the 2003 version changed the water textures to a single texture, that may need to be fixed to keep it from crashing so much. Just an idea.

Anyway, for those of you visiting Orlando in the near future, I started a website with detailed (sortable) golf info for this area. www.everygolflocation.com. I couldn't find any source around here that had all of the courses, so I did it myself. I'm planning on adding more cities in the area, but I just got the site up.

Ok, enough about me, have fun!

Kevin Hill (Still a Buckeye!)

Sixwood

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Heyyyyyyyyy! Reply with quote

Kevin Hill Orlando wrote:

*For those having issues with the 2003 version crashing, I might have an idea for you. I had a similar problem with the 2001 version crashing. That's why I came out with version 2.0 a few days after the first version. It turned out that because most of the creeks were connected (and very, very long), and all the same texture....some video cards had trouble calculating the reflections (or something like that). I broke up the creek into smaller creeks by putting another water texture under some bridges where they wouldn't be seen. It seemed to clear up the lockups.

If the 2003 version changed the water textures to a single texture, that may need to be fixed to keep it from crashing so much. Just an idea.

Thanks for the info, Kevin.

Sixwood

Dwg30

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Muirfield VillageGC 2003 by Pete Frydrak/Kevin Hill (5/2004) Reply with quote

I also have been having the crashing problem also. My video card is 128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800. As far as I know, all my drivers are up to date. I had the problem on earlier releases and on the current release of Muirfield also.

Del Gremmels

Zep

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:47 am    Post subject: Muirfield VillageGC 2003 by Pete Frydrak/Kevin Hill (5/2004) Reply with quote

Many thanks to Sixwood for the 2003 update. I'd love to see others pick up the torch and update many of the great 2001 courses if the original designer has lost interest. Just list the original designer a co-designer. I bet most of them would be happy to see their baby with new clothes.

I loved the updates. I'll be playing along with the pros here every year until a better game or version comes out. Thumb Up

VegasMike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Muirfield VillageGC 2003 by Pete Frydrak/Kevin Hill (5/2004) Reply with quote

I was wavering between giving Muirfield Village a Birdie or an Eagle; so I replayed it and compared it to the GBC version. It compares quite nicely with the GBC version (a stock course designed by Brian Silvernail and Scott Chesney, two of the top designers of courses for the JN series), especially since it has the full course layout as opposed to the single hole windows of GBC. As a result, I scored it an eagle.

"Ninety percent of the putts that are short don't go in" -- Yogi Berra
shootindartz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Muirfield VillageGC 2003 by Pete Frydrak/Kevin Hill (5/2004) Reply with quote

Course is challenging on hard and fast greens as slopes do not allow ball to quit rolling. Layout appealing, play on slow greens and less than moderate pin positions unless you like tanking a 25 foot second or third or forth putt.

Surrender

martinchill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Muirfield VillageGC 2003 by Pete Frydrak/Kevin Hill (5/2004) Reply with quote

just played this course again after having watched The Memorial this weekend, and i noticed that Tiger was 14/14 for fairways hit on sunday - and i was 13/13 on the 'same course'.

anyone explain that?

;)

wizard54

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Muirfield VillageGC 2003 by Pete Frydrak/Kevin Hill (5/2004) Reply with quote

This is a course just begging for another update. There are at least 4 greens without any areas suitable for pin placement and the sharp edges and elevations can affect play. The greens play fast IRL, but trying that on this version doesn't work well.

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Polls & User Reviews All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Want to play Links again but lost your CDs? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.