Please support Links Corner    

An interesting thing about golf is that no matter how badly you play; it is always possible to get worse. - Anon
ATI Radeon Slow FPS Graphics Fix (discussion)Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
donstallworth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: ATI Radeon Slow FPS Graphics Fix (discussion) Reply with quote

I have an HP Pavilion ze4430us Laptop. It has 512 ram & a 1.8 ghZ processor, with a RADEON IGP 320M (64mb) video card, & I'm running XP Home Edition. The first time I installed Links 2003 on this system was a few months ago, & I immediately had graphic issues such as, lines through the menu bar (in the actual play screen) & it was playing in real bad "slow motion". Someone in The Zone suggested that I go back to a previous video card driver & see if that works. Well I did that, & it worked great. I have been able to play it on this machine without having to turn off the dynamic cam (I use the Power Stroke Swing), as well I did not have to turn off any of the other graphic options that people suggested to help. I run 1024x768 32bit color on my desktop, but run 800x600 32bit color in the game's graphic options, & have not had a problem at all. Its been playing fine now for a few months, until the other day I used my factory recovery disks to reformat. When I got everything loaded back up & reinstalled the game, I had the same issues as before, so I went back to the previous video card driver again, except this time it did clear up the weird lines, but now it's still in slow motion. I have downloaded & installed all of the Windows updates available, & I do have DirectX 9.0b. My confusion comes from the fact that, what worked great before, is not working now????? Since I was able to play the game on this same machine before I reformatted, without having to turn off any of the game's graphic options, by simply going back to the previous video card driver, then why is that not working now???? Wall Bash Help

MainerTodd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: ATI Radeon Slow FPS Graphics Fix (discussion) Reply with quote

This is just a hunch, and this may not solve the problem, but it has done the trick in other cases involving slow motion on a Radeon video card. This procedure involves adding your video card manually to the Videocard.txt file for Links 2003:

STEP ONE, determine the DeviceID for your video adapter in the Dxdiag.txt file:

- Click the Start button on the lower left of your desktop, and then select "Run."
- In the "Run" box, type "dxdiag" and then click OK. The Microsoft DirectX Diagnostic Tool will start up.
- Click "Save All Information" (bottom of the DirectX box). It'll take a moment while the computer gathers the information.
- In the "Save As" box, make sure that you're saving the file to your "Desktop," verify that the file name that appears in the File name box is "Dxdiag.txt," and then click Save. (Basically, just make sure you know where you are saving the file, and what the name of the file is.)
- Now click Exit to quit the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.
- On your desktop, double-click the Dxdiag.txt file that you just saved.
- Under the "Display Devices" section, locate and note or copy the Device ID value for your video card. For example, it will look something like: 0x0177.
- Now exit out of Notepad.

STEP TWO, add the DeviceID entry for your video adapter to the Videocard.txt file:

- Open the Videocard.txt file. The Videocard.txt file is located in the following folder (where "drive" is the drive where Links 2003 is installed, probably your C drive): drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Links 2003
-Next, locate the following line in the Videocard.txt file: Vendor = 0x1002 "ATI". (This line identifies the beginning of the ATI device listing section.)
-Scroll to the end of the ATI device listing section. The last entry in this section should be the following:

0x5656 = "Mach 64"
BrokenAlphaTest
TextureOffset

-Create an entry for your video adapter at the end of the ATI device listing section, right after the lines listed above. This entry will begin with the Device ID value that you obtained above from the Dxdiag.txt file. Your entry will look something like this; however, replace "0x5654" with your Device ID and "Mach 64" with the name of your video card. (Both of those items are stored in the DXDiag.txt file.)

0x5654 = "Mach 64"
NoCopyZinVidMem

-On the File menu, click Save, and then quit Notepad.
-And you're all done! Your video card is now stored in the Videocard.txt file, and Links should recognize it automatically when you open the game.

Last edited by MainerTodd on Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:38 pm; edited 7 times in total

donstallworth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:25 pm    Post subject: [b]It Freakin Worked!! THANK YOU!!!!!!!![/b] Reply with quote

Man, bro, I tried everything, & nothing else did it. This stupid little patch in the text file worked like a charm, I can't believe it!!! I was just about to give up. The only thing I can say as possible constructive critisism is that it was a little hard to understand the instructions, but probly cause I'm stupid, lol. Thanks soooo mush pard!!!!!!

MainerTodd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: ATI Radeon Slow FPS Graphics Fix (discussion) Reply with quote

Group wave

That's awesome that you solved it. I had the same problem back when I got my latest computer, and adding my video card (also a Radeon) to the Videocard.txt file fixed everything. Glad it worked for you too!

Sorry about the instructions being a little confusing--they've been kicking around this site for a while. Whistle I don't know who wrote them originally, but they certainly are a life-saver. Anyway, it's a little late now for you, but I cleaned up the instructions to make them a little clearer. Hopefully that'll help the next time someone needs to do the same procedure.

Thumb Up

Omeba

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:20 am    Post subject: ATI Radeon Slow FPS Graphics Fix (discussion) Reply with quote

Quote:
MainerTodd Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:36 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is just a hunch, and this may not solve the problem, but it has done the trick in othr cases involving slow motion on a Radeon video card. This procedure involves adding your video card madually to the Videocard.txt file for Links 2003:

I have tried this a couple month's ago on my laptop,but it never helped I still had only gotten like 10 fps and very unplayable, so I gave up. Since this topic came up again, I went through the steps again and found that on the line I added a couple months back, in the videocard.txt file,I did not put the ending quote marks on the video card name. I did that this time and wow, 30 to 31 fps,800x600 32bit, everything at highest settings and running great.

Thanks MainerTodd for posting those instructions.

O

Mailman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 12:03 pm    Post subject: ATI Radeon Slow FPS Graphics Fix (discussion) Reply with quote

Might be worth making this one a sticky

donstallworth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: ATI Radeon Slow FPS Graphics Fix (discussion) Reply with quote

To all of you who may try this "fix" for your slow motion problem, be sure that you install the Links 2003 patch Version 1.02 before you go through these instructions. This is very important, as I went through the "fix" first & then installed the patch, & the patch screwed it back up again, so I had to uninstall everything again & re-do it all over again in the proper order. It is also very important that you type in the exact text in the exact manner in which the instructions say!! Good luck!!!!!! Punk

Big Three

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: ATI Radeon Slow FPS Graphics Fix (discussion) Reply with quote

Mailman wrote:
Might be worth making this one a sticky

I second that idea. Thumb Up This post seems to come up every week or two and anyone could point them to the sticky. Or the person may not need to post at all.

Even though I have a Nvidea card, when I see a post like this I know what the problem is, but I don't know the instructions to fix it since I never had to do it. So for example, if I saw the post I could just give them a url to the sticky.

Big Three Cool

~ Sarcasm is just one more service that I provide ~
Big Fat Frosty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: ATI Radeon Slow FPS Graphics Fix (discussion) Reply with quote

ya when don mailed me i sent him here coz i didnt know that this fix worked for all radeons i thought it was just for the 9600 released after links came out ive posted it on mine now anyone having probs doing thisfix just mail me your Dxdiag.txt and your Videocard.txt ill edit the links videocard.txt and mail it back
so ya make it sticky and call it ATI Radeon SLowGraphics Fix
Ninja

Resistance is Character Forming
donstallworth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: ATI Radeon Slow FPS Graphics Fix (discussion) Reply with quote

Man, you guys are all a bunch a heros!!! I love Links, & I was soooo close to throwing in the towel. Been playing fine now several days!!! Thanks again so much fellas!!!! Clap

Scotty
Links Corner Admin
Links Corner Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: ATI Radeon Slow FPS Graphics Fix (discussion) Reply with quote

Big Fat Frosty wrote:
ya when don mailed me i sent him here coz i didnt know that this fix worked for all radeons i thought it was just for the 9600 released after links came out ive posted it on mine now anyone having probs doing thisfix just mail me your Dxdiag.txt and your Videocard.txt ill edit the links videocard.txt and mail it back
so ya make it sticky and call it ATI Radeon SLowGraphics Fix
Ninja

Good idea Frosty. I made this a sticky and edited the title of the thread. I hope donstallworth doesn't mind.

MainerTodd

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: ATI Radeon Slow FPS Graphics Fix (discussion) Reply with quote

Thanks, Scotty!

Thumb Up

Scotty
Links Corner Admin
Links Corner Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: ATI Radeon Slow FPS Graphics Fix (discussion) Reply with quote

MainerTodd wrote:
Thanks, Scotty!

Thumb Up

Thank You for posting the fix. Thumb Up Clap

Big Fat Frosty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: ATI Radeon Slow FPS Graphics Fix (discussion) Reply with quote

heres a thought
could same fix apply to some of the nvid fx series Links issue's??
(or other vcards/controller issues released since links 2k3)
Ninja

Resistance is Character Forming
One Iron

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: ATI Radeon Slow FPS Graphics Fix (discussion) Reply with quote

Big Fat Frosty

Thatís a very good question. I looked at my VideoCard.txt file and found no nVidia FX series cards listed. Currently running 53.03 drivers and DirectX9.0b on a Gforce4 MX420.

The reason I ask is I just purchased a new FX5900XT and it should arrive Monday or Tuesday this coming week.

I know that Mailman bought the same card about a week or two ago and reported no problems.

Rehit

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: ATI Radeon Slow FPS Graphics Fix (discussion) Reply with quote

the game saw my 5950 Ultra without any problem.
i have never had a problem with an Nvidia card...

apcd-courses.com
Leader of the "clique"
always Rehit
One Iron

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: ATI Radeon Slow FPS Graphics Fix (discussion) Reply with quote

Rehit

Thanks for your response. I just got a little concerned when I didnít see the FX series cards listed in the VideoCard.txt file. I guess maybe they get rebuild during the driver install or when I launch the game the first time after the new drivers are in.

roger farr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: thank you!!! Reply with quote

Thanx for that little gem I can now play super fast with my radeon 9200 series card! Clap

Tim Scott

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: ATI Radeon Slow FPS Graphics Fix (discussion) Reply with quote

The game immediately recognized my ATI 9800XT running Catalyst 4.3 Beta drivers during setup....

Marilyn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: ATI Radeon Slow FPS Graphics Fix (discussion) Reply with quote

Wow! I have spent about 12 hours today trying to figure out why I couldn't get more than a 2-7 frame rate in Links with my new Radeon 9200SE card (just installed with a new motherboard). Scared Then I discovered this post, followed the instructions, and voila! I'm getting a frame rate of 31 plus and all is well. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! Clap Clap Clap

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Members Tech Forums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  

Why am I using a new putter? Because the last one did not float too well. - Craig Stadler