Please support Links Corner    

My clubs are well used, but unfortunately not used well! - Jack Burrell

Elevating the terrain View older topic :: View newer topic  
ponkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Elevating the terrain Reply with quote

Hi all

Ive started a course and have the aerial photo in APCD with elevation numbers on it. I am going to elevate to get an initial approximate terrain. When I lift the vert if I want it elevated to 25 ft above sea level I have lifted the vert to 125ft ( my initial grid is 100ft up) BUT Ive noticed that the terrain is signicantly underneath the vert. How do ppl deal with this?

Many thanks

Peter

[img]http://linkscorner.org/forum/uploaded_image_files/1555169417-elevation%201.bmp[/img]

[img]http://linkscorner.org/forum/uploaded_image_files/1555169503-elevation%202.bmp[/img]

ponkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Elevating the terrain Reply with quote

oops those pics didnt work here's attempt number two

Adelade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Elevating the terrain Reply with quote

Unless you sharpen edges (not recommended to do so, it creates sharp blocky unrealistic terrain) the surface is always only going to approximate the net of verts and edges in elevation, not exact it. However theres no need to worry too much about this, as you add more and more verts later on, more densely, the surface snaps closer and closer to the verts. You simply have too sparse verts at this stage compared to how bumpy the terrain is to see accurate elevation. Try adding some more verts where terrain is especially undulated, or simply wait until later when you create verts for fairways etc.

ponkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Elevating the terrain Reply with quote

Thanks very much Adelade.

So it's the same vertically as it is horizontally; more verts = surface hugs better.

Great !

Peter

Adelade

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Elevating the terrain Reply with quote

By the way, I noticed from your screenshot that some of your edges could use some turning. Do you know of the specific method for adding verts with the terrain painter? When using that method, it automatically turns edges in a sensible way, compared to if one adds verts with the "Add Vert" command. I know you're in early stages so who cares, but I just wanted to make sure you know of the technique :) its a really helpful one. I can explain how it works if not.

ponkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:23 pm    Post subject: Elevating the terrain Reply with quote

Hi Adelade

thanks. I have used the terrain painter before and it is a very useful device. I'm just getting a rough elevation at the moment.

My order of work will be.

Use terrain painter to get the shapes for the tees, fairways, bunkers, greens, etc

put the textures in, tees, fairways, sand, green, rough.

seam blend them

extrude the bunkers and seam blend them

then fine tune the elevation

make the buildings

define the whole paths (i plan on using the setting in advanced hole path settings/general settings the one that says creatw hole boundary shape for existing terrain)

put in the tee positions and pin positions

test the course for slopes on greens

plant stuff

Does that sound right?

thanks

Peter

Adelade

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Elevating the terrain Reply with quote

Alright just wanted to make sure Thumb Up

Im the wrong person to comment on order of doing things, when I came back to APCD half a year ago I checked the APCD FAQ thread, and one of the things I was curious about was question 5:

Quote:
5) IN WHAT ORDER SHOULD I DESIGN A COURSE

Q: What order do you do the different steps in constructing a course (i.e.; layout, insert shapes, clean mesh, elevate, etc.)

Read the thread within this Forum to view how these Designer's Design :

Mike Jones
Lacy Gearheart
Art Patscheck
Jack Hartt
Guenter Kujat

I cant find any such threads, Im guessing they're too old and gone. But I believe order of business in APCD can be done in plenty different ways that are completely fine. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any recommendations about it though. One thing I can say is that I personally am intentionally leaving seam blending for last because I've heard they can mess up along the way in certain ways. I dont know that it necessarily makes a difference for everyone -shrugs-

Danny D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:28 am    Post subject: Elevating the terrain Reply with quote

ponkey wrote:
Hi Adelade

thanks. I have used the terrain painter before and it is a very useful device. I'm just getting a rough elevation at the moment.

My order of work will be.

Use terrain painter to get the shapes for the tees, fairways, bunkers, greens, etc

put the textures in, tees, fairways, sand, green, rough.

seam blend them

extrude the bunkers and seam blend them

then fine tune the elevation

Does that sound right?

thanks

Peter
No, that doesn't sound right. I'll explain...

If you create all of those shapes, such as fairways, bunkers, tee boxes etc, BEFORE you fine-tune the elevations, you are in for a ton of elevation tweaks. You will be adding MANY MANY additional verts when designing your shapes. You will be better of in the long run to add more elevation points BEFORE you finalize the shapes. Just to use one example. Most tees are flat. If you put an elevation point at all 4 corners of a tee box, then any additional verts that you add BETWEEN those 4 corners to complete the tee box will automatically be at the proper elevation when you add them. If you only place a single elev. point for a tee box, then you will have to tweak every additional one that you add later. In short, pre-setting elev. points around shapes at the correct height before you create them will already place the shape at the general height so that all of the ones you add during the shape creations will already be pre-set. Any verts that you add between other verts will set themselves at the same height when you add them...

Example, if you set 2 elevation points a hundred yards apart at 100 feet elev., then any vert that you put between those two will be automatically be the same height as the first 2. For another example, if you place two EPs 100 yards apart, one at 100 feet and the other at 50 feet and then add one exactly half way between them, then that one will automatically be set at 75 feet elev.. So any verts that are added between other verts will follow a straight line slope to the next one.

The less elev points that you start with will end up creating a lot more work later.

I know it seems like a lot of work to set those elev. points, but it will have to be done at one time or another. I find it much easier to create more elev points at the beginning. What I like to do is to follow the boundary of a shape and place an EP at every 5 or 10 yards of elev. change. Doing so already has your shape set correctly BEFORE you add the additional verts to finalize the shape.

Hope all of that made sense.

Good luck,

Dan

GIMMIE: An uneasy agreement between players who can't putt...
ponkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Elevating the terrain Reply with quote

Thanks Danny

that sounds like a very sound piece of advice. I'll def being doing it that way.

What a wonderful forum !!

Many thanks

Peter

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Want to play Links again but lost your CDs? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.