Please support Links Corner    

An interesting thing about golf is that no matter how badly you play; it is always possible to get worse. - Anon

Q of The Week 3: What Aspect of Course Design is The Most Important To You? View older topic :: View newer topic  

What aspect of course design is the most important to you?
Technical (attention to details and absence of flaws)
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
Visuals (pretty to look at)
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Playability (whether it is fun and interesting to play)
56%
 56%  [ 13 ]
Authenticity (for example being as accurate as possible to the real thing if a real course)
30%
 30%  [ 7 ]
Other (perhaps crowds, extras, previews, tee options, clubhouses, rich readme/attached backstory.... please specify)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 23

Adelade

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Q of The Week 3: What Aspect of Course Design is The Most Important To You? Reply with quote

What do you wish APCD designers spent more time on? What is the most important for your personal enjoyment of courses? Feel free to elaborate or state if something on the flipside is not very important in your opinion Smile Dont forget to vote in the poll too.

pmgolf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Q of The Week 3: What Aspect of Course Design is The Most Important To You? Reply with quote

It's really hard to pick one answer in the poll. I chose "authenticity", but equally as important is "playability", in case the authentic course has near-impossible-to-play features or breaks on the greens.

Not included specifically in the poll I would add "Pin Positions". A designer can choose a terrific course and do a fantastic job of re-creating it, but do a terrible job of setting the pin positions, and the course won't be worth a crap and it will not get much play! For the greatest example of that I give you "Le Golf National Version 2". Almost unplayable due to the pin placements. (check it out in Links Practice Mode with the "show all pins" option!) And sadly, it's not the only example of bad pins! (pet peeve of mine - I'll step off my soapbox now)

Pete

PinHi1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Q of The Week 3: What Aspect of Course Design is The Most Important To You? Reply with quote

I`m with pmgolf on this one. Did not cast a vote as I would say both authenticity and playability about 50/50. Smile

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Q of The Week 3: What Aspect of Course Design is The Most Important To You? Reply with quote

pmgolf wrote:

Not included specifically in the poll I would add "Pin Positions". A designer can choose a terrific course and do a fantastic job of re-creating it, but do a terrible job of setting the pin positions, and the course won't be worth a crap and it will not get much play! For the greatest example of that I give you "Le Golf National Version 2". Almost unplayable due to the pin placements. (check it out in Links Practice Mode with the "show all pins" option!) And sadly, it's not the only example of bad pins! (pet peeve of mine - I'll step off my soapbox now)

Pete

All of them are important INCLUDING pin positions as Pete says.
It's one of my pet peeves as well, especially as I also run a tour at LSPN and need to find 80 plus useable courses for Tour and Handicap rounds.

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Sir Terry Pratchett
KunkleMan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Q of The Week 3: What Aspect of Course Design is The Most Important To You? Reply with quote

To me, playability includes the layout of Blackwolf Run(River Course) and the uniqueness of Piazza Metallica.

No. 1 rule of golf-----Make sure you stay on the RIGHT side of the grass!!
Adelade

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Q of The Week 3: What Aspect of Course Design is The Most Important To You? Reply with quote

I would have wanted to make a multi-choice poll but doesnt seem possible. Yea in my mind pin positions were included under playability, but glad for any elaborations Thumb Up I agree that lots of courses out there would instantly be a lot better with a bit more attention to pins. Interesting, didnt expect quite such high ratio votes (so far) for authenticity, Im not too fussed about absolute accuracy myself, playability is king and pleasing appearance comes 2nd for me. Often willing to overlook technical flaws as long as they dont have a high risk of impacting gameplay. As a side note I sure do like informative hole previews.

Latsop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:58 am    Post subject: Q of The Week 3: What Aspect of Course Design is The Most Important To You? Reply with quote

Well, for me, I have to confess the first thing I look for is aesthetics. Then, I look for design (playability). When I say "aesthetics", I mean more of a "blending of colors". I won't name them, but some courses have great layouts, but the mismatch of colors just ruins it for me.

They can because they think they can...Virgil
Those who can do,those who understand teach...Aristotle
Jeff Shillings

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Q of The Week 3: What Aspect of Course Design is The Most Important To You? Reply with quote

It is all important. It is a computer game, so Fun & Interesting is the highest priority for me. I love the iconic real course recreations, and being Accurate & Realistic is an important criteria for those courses. I can overlook a lot of aesthetic and technical blemishes as (somewhat) l either 1. don't notice, 2. don't care. A high criteria is that the game moves good (that's a hardware limitation of mine, and hopefully soon to be remedied) and I enjoy the round.

Latsop

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Q of The Week 3: What Aspect of Course Design is The Most Important To You? Reply with quote

It's similar to choosing a girlfriend (no offense intended). First, you want to see how she looks (aesthetics), if she looks good, then you want to see how she plays, right? So, if she looks good and plays good, we got a keeper! Chair

They can because they think they can...Virgil
Those who can do,those who understand teach...Aristotle
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Forum Lobby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

New to Links? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.