Please support Links Corner    

Follow-through: The part of the swing that takes place after the ball has been hit, but before the club has been thrown. ~ Henry Beard

New Installation View older topic :: View newer topic  
mashie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: New Installation Reply with quote

I've installed Links 2003 on a new Win 10 computer. It runs using the intel integrated graphics but doesn't find the graphic card. How can I force it to recognize the NVidia card?

guitarzan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: New Installation Reply with quote

The sticky at the top of this forum should help you, it did for me. Links 2003 doesn't seem to recognize Nvida cards when you have integrated graphics.

mashie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: New Installation Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Followed the instructions but Links is still not recognizing the Nvidia card.

Still Linksing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: New Installation Reply with quote

I don't think anyone has ever managed to get Links to recognize the graphic card. Links always defaults to the integrated graphics.
I've never been in this situation but everyone else I am reasonably certain never found a way to get it to work. Been a few threads about it over the years.

aka Viper
Adelade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: New Installation Reply with quote

I got my laptop to play Links with Nvidia card instead of the Intel one. Took some work and I dont remember with 100% certainty what exactly did it, but I know the dgVoodoo2 from that thread, http://linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34271, was necessary for me. Just not sure if it was necessary to get it to recognize the card in the first place or just to solve significant graphical glitches. Im 100% sure my Links is using the Nvidia one anyway. Sounds like you already tried it though mashie? :/

By the way mashie, you have a private message :)

Armand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: New Installation Reply with quote

Can you disable the on-board graphics through the BIOS (or elsewhere), thus forcing the computer to use the nVidia card for everything?

mashie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: New Installation Reply with quote

Armand wrote:
Can you disable the on-board graphics through the BIOS (or elsewhere), thus forcing the computer to use the nVidia card for everything?

I was thinking the same thing, but I'm not sure how to do it and don't want to tinker with something I'm not really familiar with.

Armand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: New Installation Reply with quote

How about disabling the Intel graphics in Device Manager?

mashie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: New Installation Reply with quote

That's a good suggestion, I'll take a look at that. I tried opening the NVidia control panel but was unable as it said it wasn't being used for the visual device. When I checked in device manager it shows that it's operating properly. Any idea how to work around this??

Danny D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:17 am    Post subject: New Installation Reply with quote

mashie wrote:
That's a good suggestion, I'll take a look at that. I tried opening the NVidia control panel but was unable as it said it wasn't being used for the visual device. When I checked in device manager it shows that it's operating properly. Any idea how to work around this??
Don't take this as factual, but as Armand mentioned, I heard somewhere that you disable the graphics in the BIOS. Unsure

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Armand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: New Installation Reply with quote

I was doing a quick online search to copy-paste instructions and ran across a (potentially) critical step in using the nVidia card instead of the on-board graphics .... is your monitor connected to the nVidia output ports?? I don't see how the computer would display anything on your monitor using the nVidia card if the monitor isn't connected to it, but please be sure it is.
Yes

It really is in your best interest to disable the on-board video in your BIOS. If your computer is using the on-board graphics for anything, it will reserve/use some of your RAM, which would be undesirable for best computer performance. I'm guessing there would be little or no impact to Links, but it could negatively impact other games/software.

If you are disabling through the BIOS, you need to find the right section and setting in the BIOS screen. Once you do, though, it's a very simple change/toggle to disable the on-board graphics.

This link gives general instructions on both methods:
https://itstillworks.com/disable-integrated-graphics-card-5946380.html

mashie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: New Installation Reply with quote

Thanks Armand,

The monitor is not connected to the video card output. Looks like I have to get an adapter for a DVI output. This may be the answer.

Thanks again for everyone's response, this place is the best for help.

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Members Tech Forums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

These damn Axis weapons don't work! - Sgt Sneaky Bastage AKA Axe R.I.P.