Please support Links Corner    

Want to play Links again but lost your CDs? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.

Winged Foot East View older topic :: View newer topic  
milwsteve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Winged Foot East Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone is planning on doing this course I know the course is pretty much much flat but I would love to see someone take this course on it would be a great addition to Links 2003.

Stuart Hatch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Winged Foot East Reply with quote

There's an invitation and challenge for you Sage Laugh Tongue

Bluenoser

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Winged Foot East Reply with quote

This, plus would be nice to see the West Course finished up.

Links - It's not about winning, it's about having fun!
milwsteve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Winged Foot East Reply with quote

I love both of these courses I would love to see the west course finished both courses would be a great addition to Links 2003

Paul44

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Winged Foot East Reply with quote

I agree also.

Paul44

The hardest shot in Golf, is the next one.
milwsteve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Winged Foot East Reply with quote

Anyone going to do this course Sage you would do a great job on this course there are plenty of photos of Winged Foot East the course is flat but would be great addition to Links 2003

sagevanni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Winged Foot East Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

OK........I'll give it a go......I have my plate kinda full right now but if no one else has dibs on it I will give it a go.......

Sage...... Smile

milwsteve

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Winged Foot East Reply with quote

Thank You Sage you will do a great job on the course.Steve

gene_golf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Winged Foot East Reply with quote

Given that a version of WF West was only available briefly to members of APCD site at that time and that the Men's U. S. Open Golf Tournament will be played at WF West not WF East next year in 2020---it makes sense that West would be best course in Links to design at this time by a talented designer and leave off WF East for later on.

This will be the club’s sixth U.S. Open, and only two other courses -- Oakmont and Baltusrol -- will have held the national championship more times. Winged Foot also hosted the 1997 PGA Championship, won in dramatic fashion by Davis Love III.
"Winged Foot offers a spectacular setting in a dynamic market, and has justifiably earned its reputation as one of the premier U.S. Open venues in the nation," said Thomas O'Toole Jr., vice president of the USGA and head of its championship committee. "And it joins an impressive lineup of future U.S. Open Championship locations that players and fans alike can eagerly anticipate."
Winged Foot was designed by A.W. Tillinghast in 1923 and hosted its first U.S. Open six years later, when amateur Bobby Jones delivered one of the biggest shots in championship history with a 12-foot putt on the final hole to force a 36-hole playoff. He won the next day by 23 shots over Al Espinosa.
The most recent trip to Winged Foot was memorable for all the wrong reasons -- not for Geoff Ogilvy winning with a superb up-and-down from below the 18th green, but for Phil Mickelson blowing his best chance ever to win the U.S. Open.
Mickelson had a one-shot lead when his drive bounced off corporate tents to the left of the 18th fairway. He went for the green and his 3-iron struck a tree and dropped straight down, his next shot plugged in a bunker and he make double bogey to lose by one. "I am such an idiot," he famously said that day.

Winged Foot also is where former USGA President Sandy Tatum offered the defining comment for the U.S. Open. "Our intention is not to embarrass the greatest players in the world, but to identify them," he said in 1974, when Hale Irwin won at 7-over 287.
Billy Casper won his first U.S. Open at Winged Foot in 1959. Fuzzy Zoeller won in 1984 in a playoff over Greg Norman, who holed a long putt across the 18th green for par. Zoeller, thinking the Shark had made birdie, jokingly waved a white towel. It only got Norman into a Monday playoff, and the next day, Zoeller won so handily that Norman waved a white towel walking up the final fairway.
Winged Foot doesn't have a history of dull moments.
The Westchester course is known for the severe slopes on the greens and deep bunkers and doglegs along the tree-lined fairways. USGA executive director Mike Davis was in charge of setting up the Open for the first time at Winged Foot in 2006. He referred to Winged Foot as a "quintessential U.S. Open golf course."
"Winged Foot offers the best players in the world a spectacular test of golf and delivers to spirited New York golf fans one of the most exciting venues in the game," he said.

sagevanni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Winged Foot East Reply with quote

Hi Gene,

Actually since both course layouts are so close together I am doing both. It's gonna take some time so bare with me. I've got all 36 holes done and am in the process of detailing. I am doing East 1st. Then will detail West.

Sage..... Smile

Captain Nemo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Winged Foot East Reply with quote

sagevanni wrote:
Hi Gene,

Actually since both course layouts are so close together I am doing both. It's gonna take some time so bare with me. I've got all 36 holes done and am in the process of detailing. I am doing East 1st. Then will detail West.

Sage..... Smile

Ooooohhh!!!! Sage. Thanks! I just came soft 3 times! ;)

How many Microsoft Programmers does it take to replace a light bulb? Just one.
However, you will be installing updates for all eternity!
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

The only thing in my bag that works is the bug spray. - Bruce Lansky