Please support Links Corner    

A "gimme" can best be defined as an agreement between two golfers...neither of whom can putt very well. - Anon

Seam Blends Problem View older topic :: View newer topic  
brooks2345

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Seam Blends Problem Reply with quote

Normally, seam blends are a doddle to do - just put in a continuous edge of verts round a green or fairway or whatever, new mapping/path/ multiple and ... hey presto!

However, I have a problem where there is not a continuous edge - this is where I have sand, foam and sea - and it stretches right across my .crz file.
The 2 blends I need are sand/foam and foam/sea. Whenever I try to seam blend, APCD just comes back with a bog standard error message along the lines "Could not analyse selected geometry - mapping calculation failed".

Anybody want to point me in the right direction?

Cheers

John Brooks Sad

sagevanni

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Seam Blends Problem Reply with quote

Make sure your ends are square and in most cases flat. Also make sure the verts are equally parallel to each other near the ends........you can always move the verts if need be after the seam is done.

Sage.......I can send you a screen shot if need be.

sagevanni

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Seam Blends Problem Reply with quote

Ends

In between

Just play with the verts till it works

TimBoch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Seam Blends Problem Reply with quote

I had to do something similar on Infamous Golf Course. Just play around with the verts and you will usually get it to calculate the path.

I sure miss designing courses.

Tim Boche
Dwan Golf Club, Infamous Golf Course, Hazeltine National Golf Club (assistant designer), Desert Valley/Woodland Trail/Desert Valley Tournament Edition, Faribault CC (beta), Hyland Greens (beta), Double Eagle (beta), King's Walk (beta), Interlachen CC (still planning)
brooks2345

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:50 pm    Post subject: Seam Blends Problem Reply with quote

Thanks very much Sage and Tim - works fine!

Cheers

John Brooks Clap

derricksummers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Seam Blends Problem Reply with quote

Thumb Up John there is a very simple way to create a Bay as follows

Your seam blend path needs to be neat and have sections that are square or oblong. If you don't or if you miss a bit of texture from a segment the mapping with fail like you mentioned
n your pic there is no blend between the surf in the bay and the ocean.
Hope this is of some help
Derrick

brooks2345

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Seam Blends Problem Reply with quote

Thanks Derrick - after I squared up, the only problem I then had was to ensure that there were no segments which had "doubled up" (i.e. where the blend segment in fact was over a number of verts). I've just loaded Carlyon Bay (it's unprotected), so if you look at the foam/sand and foam/sea, you'll see what I mean.

Cheers and thanks for your help.

John Brooks

Danny D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:29 am    Post subject: Seam Blends Problem Reply with quote

derricksummers wrote:
Thumb Up John there is a very simple way to create a Bay as follows

Your seam blend path needs to be neat and have sections that are square or oblong. If you don't or if you miss a bit of texture from a segment the mapping with fail like you mentioned
n your pic there is no blend between the surf in the bay and the ocean.
Hope this is of some help
Derrick
Hiya Derrick,. Sorry to butt in, but I think it was Sage that posted the picture of the bay. You stated that there was no blend between the surf and the bay. I believe that is incorrect. The surf IS the seam blend. Sage does seam blends a little differently. Sage stretches his seam blends out all up and down the coast and into little coves, such as what you see in his pic, but he makes sure they are a single oblong square at each end. A seam blend will actually work like that. The problem doing them like that comes into play when you use them on playable surfaces where a golfer may have to hit from. It can cause all kinds of incorrect lies, depending on what those blended properties are...

Cheers

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
derricksummers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Seam Blends Problem Reply with quote

Thumb Up Hi Danny ,John and sage, Thanks for the replies it's a case of
the old grey matter still in the stone age.I do everything the old way.
Alas all good things come to an end, and it's with a heavy heart that I have
decided to pack in with designing, due to the problem I mentioned in an
earlier post regarding the numbness and pins and needles I keep getting
in my arms and hands. Just trying to play the piano is hopeless after about 10 minutes,my fingers just go numb and it's the same using the mouse.
My doctor can't find any cause for it and says it could be pressure on a
nreve in my kneck, but as I am only on O.A.P paying for treatment is a problem.
I have enjoyed every minute of the many years I have been a member of
Links and I hope to keep in touch with things. If I try to play a course after about hole 6 I have to pack it in and its very frustrating
It took ages just doing this post so to all my old friends take care and carry on the good work with designing
Derrick.
Surrender

Still Linksing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:42 am    Post subject: Seam Blends Problem Reply with quote

derricksummers wrote:
Thumb Up Hi Danny ,John and sage, Thanks for the replies it's a case of
the old grey matter still in the stone age.I do everything the old way.
Alas all good things come to an end, and it's with a heavy heart that I have
decided to pack in with designing, due to the problem I mentioned in an
earlier post regarding the numbness and pins and needles I keep getting
in my arms and hands. Just trying to play the piano is hopeless after about 10 minutes,my fingers just go numb and it's the same using the mouse.
My doctor can't find any cause for it and says it could be pressure on a
nreve in my kneck, but as I am only on O.A.P paying for treatment is a problem.
I have enjoyed every minute of the many years I have been a member of
Links and I hope to keep in touch with things. If I try to play a course after about hole 6 I have to pack it in and its very frustrating
It took ages just doing this post so to all my old friends take care and carry on the good work with designing
Derrick.
Surrender

Wish you all the best and thanks for the courses you released over the years. Thumb Up

aka Viper
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

I'll always remember the day I broke ninety. I had a few beers in the clubhouse and was so excited I forgot to play the back nine. -Bruce Lansky