Please support Links Corner    

Want to play Links again but lost your CDs? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.

How do YOU play Links? View older topic :: View newer topic  
Still Linksing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: How do YOU play Links? Reply with quote

I posted this same question March 24th, 2001. Reading through the old thread, things may be a little different today.

I play virtual tournaments. That's all I play. Totally enjoy trying to win every tournament. At the end of the season I hope to beat some of my previous records. I never get bored. Love it!

How do YOU play Links?

aka Viper
pmgolf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: How do YOU play Links? Reply with quote

I play LSPN tournaments (The World Tour), and I highly recommend them! Punk Thumb Up

Pete
(World Tour Director)

ppease

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Career Mode Reply with quote

I play along with the U.S. PGA Tour using Links Career Mode.

Phil
Jeff Shillings

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: How do YOU play Links? Reply with quote

Over the last 20+ years... started playing online in MPlayer/Zone days (addiction level). When that died out I played LSPN online tours, popping in/out of that site for several years. Maybe it's time to pop back in and see what's happening there. Online name - TexAgs. The last several years I play offline. I like to play Elite, but pro is ok as well. I don't play as often or as good as I used to, but that's ok. I figure I'll always tinker around with the game until the day I die.
Yes

PinHi1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: How do YOU play Links? Reply with quote

As ppease does I play along with PGA Tour using Links Career mode and when not doing that will occasionally play a course that have not played before or some time ago just for relaxation. Yes

Adelade

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: How do YOU play Links? Reply with quote

By virtual tournaments do you mean Career mode or something else?

2/3 of the time I play Career mode on semi-realistic pga tour seasons I made myself with my favourite courses all over the world. Simulating a couple match events per season. The other 1/3 I spend playing individual rounds on courses I've never tried before for discovery. Thinking Im gonna play alongside the real majors this year as well, otherwise the PGA tour sticks too much to monotonous or unvaried course styles for my liking, at least compared to what the best of the Links course library offers. Thats just my own taste though

Still Linksing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: How do YOU play Links? Reply with quote

Adelade wrote:
By virtual tournaments do you mean Career mode or something else?

Yes, Career Mode. In older Links versions it was called Virtual Tournament, still stuck on the old terminology. Laugh
It was much simpler but worked well.

aka Viper
2PuttJeff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Playing Links Reply with quote

I have played Links ever since the game was introduced, but have never actually played in an online tournament. When I used to play Links 2001, I enjoyed playing in the "virtual tournaments" against a field of PGA tour pros and that was a lot of fun. That is one aspect of Links 2003 I miss since that version doesn't have the virtual tournament feature. I also like to play the game on the "panorama" setting, except close to the pin. Thumb Up

Jeff Shillings

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Playing Links Reply with quote

2PuttJeff wrote:
I have played Links ever since the game was introduced, but have never actually played in an online tournament. When I used to play Links 2001, I enjoyed playing in the "virtual tournaments" against a field of PGA tour pros and that was a lot of fun. That is one aspect of Links 2003 I miss since that version doesn't have the virtual tournament feature. I also like to play the game on the "panorama" setting, except close to the pin. Thumb Up

Interesting, I've played forever, but was always drawn to the live action and never played the virtual tournaments (or Career Mode), but i see they have a large following here. I'll take a closer look at them.

Pano view, Normal (not Close) when close to the green.

Ninja

Still Linksing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Playing Links Reply with quote

Jeff Shillings wrote:
Interesting, I've played forever, but was always drawn to the live action and never played the virtual tournaments (or Career Mode), but i see they have a large following here. I'll take a closer look at them.

It's great fun. Once you set it up so the tournament scores challenege you how you want, there is always competition to be had against the AI scores and yourself. I set it up so if I play very well, I win the tournament. The ideal situation would be to win every tournament of the season but this will never happen.
Here I was after 8 tournaments, finished top 5 every tournament with 3 wins. Best start ever. Coming into tournament 9, I'm thinking I'll try and stay top 5 all season, that would be great! So I hit tournament 9, just cannot put together a decent round in any of the 4 rounds. Finish 20th. Depressed, now got to get it together next tournament to stay out of any potential slump after such a great start to the season.

Just like real golf! Sometimes you're real happy with yourself, sometimes really annoyed at yourself. Nerves, pressure, it's all there! Thumb Up Laugh Laugh Laugh

aka Viper
Danny D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: How do YOU play Links? Reply with quote

I have been playing Links online only, with my golfing buddy and good friend Grandpa Bruce, whom I met online in ladder matches on Kali way back in the dial-up days. We have played 1 or 2 rounds a day, 6 days a week, for almost 20 years. Bruce was diagnosed several years back with Agent Orange affliction from back in his Viet Nam days, and has been getting progressively worse over the years. His greatest joy to look forward to every day was our online rounds of golf. I vowed to stick with him until he could no longer play. He has recently reached the point to where he had to give it up. I've not played for a couple of weeks now, other than to test my new course. I do miss him and the game.

Lets all say a little prayer for Bruce and wish him peace and comfort thru these troubled times. May God bless my friend, Bruce Wallace.

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: How do YOU play Links? Reply with quote

Danny D wrote:
I have been playing Links online only, with my golfing buddy and good friend Grandpa Bruce, whom I met online in ladder matches on Kali way back in the dial-up days. We have played 1 or 2 rounds a day, 6 days a week, for almost 20 years. Bruce was diagnosed several years back with Agent Orange affliction from back in his Viet Nam days, and has been getting progressively worse over the years. His greatest joy to look forward to every day was our online rounds of golf. I vowed to stick with him until he could no longer play. He has recently reached the point to where he had to give it up. I've not played for a couple of weeks now, other than to test my new course. I do miss him and the game.

Lets all say a little prayer for Bruce and wish him peace and comfort thru these troubled times. May God bless my friend, Bruce Wallace.

Dan

This was very much how I played online with my friend Mick Lenton from 1998 until 2013, when health issues made it difficult for him to play. A brain tumour took him in July 2014 Sad

I now play exclusively at LSPN and run the European Tour there.

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Sir Terry Pratchett
Captain Nemo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: How do YOU play Links? Reply with quote

Where possible I like to play along with the weeks PGA Tourney. I use my virtual foursome. Me, Larry the Lagger. Bob the Basher, and Bent Brent (the guys I played with in real life for many many years). I compare our scores to the real score and see how we do. If I cannot match up the courses then that weekend, each day I just choose a course I like, and we play Big Buck Skins a MOP I created.

How many Microsoft Programmers does it take to replace a light bulb? Just one.
However, you will be installing updates for all eternity!
grandpabruce

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:58 am    Post subject: How do YOU play Links? Reply with quote

Thanks, Dan. Some days are better than others, but none are real good anymore. I still go by my motto, in my signature.

Bruce

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
KunkleMan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: How do YOU play Links? Reply with quote

grandpabruce wrote:
Thanks, Dan. Some days are better than others, but none are real good anymore. I still go by my motto, in my signature.

Bruce

Thank you for your service. We couldn't be playing this game without fellows like you. Clap Clap

No. 1 rule of golf-----Make sure you stay on the RIGHT side of the grass!!
Still Linksing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: How do YOU play Links? Reply with quote

And here is how we played Links back in 2001!
You'll notice LC added a hit counter to the base of the page since the other flashback topic I posted. We were all watching that thing back then.
You'll also see I was hoping for a Career Mode, remember, we were playing Links 2001 at the time of the thread. The Career Mode of course came in Links 2003.

aka Viper
Still Linksing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:41 am    Post subject: How do YOU play Links? Reply with quote

Adelade wrote:
2/3 of the time I play Career mode on semi-realistic pga tour seasons I made myself with my favourite courses all over the world. Simulating a couple match events per season. The other 1/3 I spend playing individual rounds on courses I've never tried before for discovery. Thinking Im gonna play alongside the real majors this year as well, otherwise the PGA tour sticks too much to monotonous or unvaried course styles for my liking, at least compared to what the best of the Links course library offers. Thats just my own taste though

Sent you a PM regarding courses.

aka Viper
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Golfer: Do you think my game is improving? Caddy: Oh yes, sir! You miss the ball much closer than you used to.