Please support Links Corner    

I was three over. One over a house, one over a patio, and one over a swimming pool. - George Brett

Links starts in "practice" mode, but crashes for "New Round" View older topic :: View newer topic  
Latsop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:05 am    Post subject: Links starts in "practice" mode, but crashes for "New Round" Reply with quote

Anybody ever have that problem? Links starts up just fine in practice mode, but when I select "new round", it crashes. Erm

They can because they think they can...Virgil
Those who can do,those who understand teach...Aristotle
Armand

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Links starts in "practice" mode, but crashes for "New Round" Reply with quote

Latsop, it could be a corrupt player or course. I think the quickest, simplest way is to edit the registry. I believe you're savvy enough to start the registry editor and make these changes, but if you need detailed steps, let me know.

Clear the following registry entry (that is, double-click it in the right pane of registry editor and delete the value, rather than deleting the key name) and see if Links then starts a new round:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Links 2003\NewGame\Course

Take note of the value before you delete it. If Links starts a New Game, then that course is corrupt and should be deleted/re-downloaded.

If Links still doesn't start a new game, then try clearing the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Links 2003\NewGame\Player0/Name

Again, take note of the player name and if Links starts, then that player is corrupt and needs to be deleted and/or recreated.

Hope that helps.

Latsop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Links starts in "practice" mode, but crashes for "New Round" Reply with quote

Hmmm...I don't see player name. I created a player before I installed the patches (2,5 and 7). I don't remember if I played a few holes in "practice" or "New Round", tho.

Edit: After selecting "practice", before playing a course, I tried to create a "New" player and it crashed. I tried to "edit" my player and it crashed. But if I select "practice">"begin play> course loads up, my player is there, everything is fine.Laugh

(looks like I played Kauri before I installed patches?)

Here's a pic of my registry.

Here's a screenshot of the "practice" folder. Definitely has more entries. (including my player)

Latsop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Links starts in "practice" mode, but crashes for "New Round" Reply with quote

Hmmm...seems to have something to do with the NVIDIA patch 7. I uninstalled/reinstalled Links, applied all patches (2,5,7) before I created a player, and everything seemed fine except I didn't have my native screen resolution available in graphic options.

Sooo, I reinstalled patch 7 again, and my resolution 1366+768 was available, but after changing it, the game only loads in "Practice" again.

So, I'll uninstall/reinstall again, but only apply patches 2 and 5, and try to "edit the registry" to get my native screen, and see how that goes! Stuck Tongue

Latsop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Links starts in "practice" mode, but crashes for "New Round" Reply with quote

Okay, got it fixed...this was weird. Apparently, there's TWO final 7 patches! Laugh

I passed on the NVIDIA Final 7 patch, and did the regular Final 7 patch and all is well. My bad...didn't know there were two. Thanks for the input Armand! Thumb Up

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Members Tech Forums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Mulligan: invented by an Irishman who wanted to hit one more twenty yard grounder. -Jim Bishop