Please support Links Corner    

Swing hard in case you hit it. - Dan Marino

Shadows (dark blotches) on 3D buildings View older topic :: View newer topic  
brooks2345

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:11 pm    Post subject: Shadows (dark blotches) on 3D buildings Reply with quote

Can someone out there please tell me in simple plain English (i.e. in a short paragraph) an idiot's guide method of getting rid of black blotches and "shadows" that arise whenever I create 3D buildings - the blotches are on both the buildings and ground round them (the ones that come with Links don't have these blotches). Surely, there must be an easy way of getting rid of them?

Cheers

John Brooks Unsure

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:09 am    Post subject: Shadows (dark blotches) on 3D buildings Reply with quote

John - unfortunately I don't think a short paragraph of plain English would be sufficient to explain how to de-shadow 3D objects. It's just not that easy to explain in words.

I'd encourage you to watch some videos instead. I think DannyD created the best reference - see the sticky at the top of Designers Forum for his 3D House Tutorial, and check out videos 10, 11, and 12. Lez Marwick also has a couple videos about it in his series - see videos 49 & 50. It's basically the same technique but I think DannyD does a bit better job explaining why & how it works.

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
brooks2345

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Shadows (dark blotches) on 3D buildings Reply with quote

Thanks John. Just thought there might be a quick and easy fix. Will look at videos anyway. Horrible image attached!

Cheers

John

brooks2345

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Shadows (dark blotches) on 3D buildings Reply with quote

I know that Sage also had this problem - like walls that stayed permanently in "shadow" when he wanted them white.

Here's one short cut - I've managed to remove the shadows from the ground area around the 3d object simply by putting a ring of verts closely around it at the same height as its base - a bit like a ring of verts around a bunker.

This still leaves the walls and the roof!

Could also never understand why Links doesn't give textures in vertical format, so that all you have to do with, for example, windows and doors, is just stick them on to your object.

Cheers

John Brooks

Danny D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Shadows (dark blotches) on 3D buildings Reply with quote

brooks2345 wrote:
I know that Sage also had this problem - like walls that stayed permanently in "shadow" when he wanted them white.

Here's one short cut - I've managed to remove the shadows from the ground area around the 3d object simply by putting a ring of verts closely around it at the same height as its base - a bit like a ring of verts around a bunker.

This still leaves the walls and the roof!

Could also never understand why Links doesn't give textures in vertical format, so that all you have to do with, for example, windows and doors, is just stick them on to your object.

Cheers

John Brooks
Hi John...

Shadows are caused by 2 faces joined together at an angle pulling against each other. Like the corners of buildings, or where walls and roofs meet. The way to make the shadows go away is to separate the connections where the walls meet in the corners, so they can't pull against one another. I tried to explain that as best as I could in the video I made.

From the looks of your building, it should take no time at all to de-shadow it. I would be happy to do it for you if you like. Just let me know, and send me the crz.

Best wishes,

Dan

GIMMIE: An uneasy agreement between players who can't putt...
JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:27 am    Post subject: Shadows (dark blotches) on 3D buildings Reply with quote

John,

From your image that showed the shadows also on the ground surrounding the building, I'm guessing that means you probably just built the building in place from the plot, correct? i.e. extruding the terrain up to form the building? Instead of building it out in space somewhere off of the plot, and then moving it into the desired location on the plot? Glad you found a workaround (ring of verts) to take care of that well enough. Building off-plot would avoid that issue completely, too.

But either way, to get rid of the shadows on the building itself, you have to detach each of the adjoining panels (walls, roof, etc) from each other, like Danny described.

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
brooks2345

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Shadows (dark blotches) on 3D buildings Reply with quote

Hi John and Danny

Yep, followed the video presentation - extruded the walls to get rid of the shadows. And you're right - I just extruded up from the ground to build the building, rather than build it off site and bring it in. The ring of verts got rid of the ground shadows

Anyway, have gone ahead with Ferndown - the building is the Clubhouse which only really appears on a couple of holes, and since you don't play golf in the Clubhouse, it's no big deal.

However, I've also got Thurlestone and County Down with rows of HOUSES which are integral to the Courses to worry about..........................

Watch this space!

Cheers

John Brooks

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Swing hard in case you hit it. - Dan Marino