Please support Links Corner    

It's not a good idea to pick up lost golfballs while they're still rolling. ~ Mark Twain
Looking to Upgrade PC - Graphics Card Question View older topic :: View newer topic  
Stuart Hatch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Looking to Upgrade PC - Graphics Card Question Reply with quote

Advice please on a graphics card and its compatability with Links. I'm going to have to upgrade my PC in the immediate future and was wondering whether anyone has any experience of using the GeForce GT-710 1GB gaming card with Links. In short - does it work?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Danny D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to Upgrade PC - Graphics Card Question Reply with quote

Stuart Hatch wrote:
Advice please on a graphics card and its compatability with Links. I'm going to have to upgrade my PC in the immediate future and was wondering whether anyone has any experience of using the GeForce GT-710 1GB gaming card with Links. In short - does it work?

Any thoughts gratefully received.
Hi Stuart. My assumption is that you are referring to a DESKTOP computer, and not a LAPTOP.

I just asked Google which NVidia card was better, the GT series, or the GTX series. Here was one answer.

-------------------------------------------
"The GT series are entry-level GPUs that are typically found in workstations. They're used for low-level graphical work.

The GTX series are performance GPUs for gaming and graphically-intensive work."
------------------------------------------

From everything I read, the GTX would be a better card for Links.

I'm still using a GTX-670 from a few years ago, and it works perfect with Links on an Ultra-wide 3440x1440 monitor. It runs Links2003 at 1600x1200 resolution. I was using Windows XP, but a few months ago upgraded to Windows 7, 64 bit. I've not had a single issue with any GTX cards and Links. My advice would be to go with a GTX model over a GT...

Good luck,

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Adelade

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Looking to Upgrade PC - Graphics Card Question Reply with quote

While Links is kinda "low level graphical work" by todays standard, Dannys recommendation is probably a good one. Dont take my word to mean much as Im no expert on the matter and Im just speculating, but based on some GPU benchmark lists, Id be quite surprised if the 710 wasnt strong enough to run Links fine (compatibility is a separate question). If you dont forsee yourself using the machine for tasks more demanding graphically, spending more or a lot more money for a powerhouse GPU just for Links could be a waste.

I dont know how its like where you live vs where I do, but when my dad bought a computer that turned out to be too underpowered for what he wanted to use it for, the store was happy to let him switch to another of their models even though it was opened and tested.

pmgolf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Looking to Upgrade PC - Graphics Card Question Reply with quote

This is what I got and it works great with Links, 1680 x 1050 to fill my 23" screen. It was pretty cheap, if you can find one.

EVGA NVidia GeForce GTX 750Ti Superclock w/G-SYNC Support 2GB GDDR5 128bit

Pete

grandpabruce

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Looking to Upgrade PC - Graphics Card Question Reply with quote

I have the GTX 980, and it works fantastic in Links.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
Stuart Hatch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Looking to Upgrade PC - Graphics Card Question Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys, that's given me a better idea. Thanks. Thumb Up

Captain Nemo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Looking to Upgrade PC - Graphics Card Question Reply with quote

A little late to the party, but I have an HP Gaming PC with a GForce GTX1050 Ti, and Links loaded and ran with just a couple of minor tweaks, Still have not got around to following the detailed instructions for running max rez (sounded really complicated) so on my 28" monitor I am running a lesser resolution but the graphics look great anyway,

How many Microsoft Programmers does it take to replace a light bulb? Just one.
However, you will be installing updates for all eternity!
Latsop

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Looking to Upgrade PC - Graphics Card Question Reply with quote

I guess it's one of those "you get what you pay for" deals. Your card is about $35 bucks, and scores 681 points. Looking at the list, I'd say the GT 1030 at $60 bucks with a score of 1,624 wouldn't be bad, or the GTX 1050 for $120 bucks and a score of 2,819 would be nice if you want to spend that much. Personally, I have the GTX 1080 with a score of 7,909, but that would be Overkill to just play Links. Here' a link to the list... Thumb Up

PassMark

They can because they think they can...Virgil
Those who can do,those who understand teach...Aristotle
Captain Nemo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Looking to Upgrade PC - Graphics Card Question Reply with quote

Latsop wrote:
I guess it's one of those "you get what you pay for" deals. Your card is about $35 bucks, and scores 681 points. Looking at the list, I'd say the GT 1030 at $60 bucks with a score of 1,624 wouldn't be bad, or the GTX 1050 for $120 bucks and a score of 2,819 would be nice if you want to spend that much. Personally, I have the GTX 1080 with a score of 7,909, but that would be Overkill to just play Links. Here' a link to the list... Thumb Up

PassMark

Latsop, You are an oldtimer here so you are well aware that when you post you should identify who's post you are responding to. I know it wasn't me as my card was rated 3519 & price was n/a. However, others may be confused.
Cheers CN

How many Microsoft Programmers does it take to replace a light bulb? Just one.
However, you will be installing updates for all eternity!
Latsop

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Looking to Upgrade PC - Graphics Card Question Reply with quote

Captain Nemo wrote:

Latsop, You are an oldtimer here so you are well aware that when you post you should identify who's post you are responding to. I know it wasn't me as my card was rated 3519 & price was n/a. However, others may be confused.
Cheers CN

Hey Captain, sorry about that. Smile Yeah, I can't believe it's been nearly 15 years I signed up here! Oh My I was responding to the original post. So, you've got the card with "Max Q Design" ? What's that mean? I don't know if you noticed, but just below that is the "regular" 1050 ti at 3244 and $140 bucks. That would be good choice too, I think.

They can because they think they can...Virgil
Those who can do,those who understand teach...Aristotle
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Members Tech Forums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Is my good friend in the rough, or is the b*&#*$d on the green? - James Bond