Please support Links Corner    



If I were you, I'd lay off for a couple of weeks...and then quit. - Jimmy Demaret to Johnny Carson
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner
Any advice on using Google Earth as a starter? View older topic :: View newer topic  
Author Message
mickydavies



Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Posts: 170
Location
Fleet, UK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Any advice on using Google Earth as a starter? Reply with quote

I have reached the age where I have time to kill and have had a few goes at designing previously, but haven't had the patience OR the time to get anywhere. I see lots of references to designs using Google Earth as a start point, but can't find anything specific about using it. The course I want to design is called Mountain Ash. It is in the Welsh valleys and is incredibly hilly so if Google Earth would help with elevations that would be a great help to start. Does anyone have any advice about this?

View user's profile Send private message
Stephen Sullivan



Joined: 01 Nov 2003
Posts: 1491
Location
Nottinghamshire, England

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Any advice on using Google Earth as a starter? Reply with quote

Micky

Take a look at Lez's videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esldq_re4KI&feature=youtu.be

AND

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3nsAF4s6mY&feature=youtu.be


"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Sir Terry Pratchett
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Danny D



Joined: 02 Dec 2015
Posts: 639
Location
SE Missouri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Any advice on using Google Earth as a starter? Reply with quote

mickydavies wrote:
I have reached the age where I have time to kill and have had a few goes at designing previously, but haven't had the patience OR the time to get anywhere. I see lots of references to designs using Google Earth as a start point, but can't find anything specific about using it. The course I want to design is called Mountain Ash. It is in the Welsh valleys and is incredibly hilly so if Google Earth would help with elevations that would be a great help to start. Does anyone have any advice about this?
Hi Micky... I took a look at Mountain Ash Golf Club on Google Earth, and you should not have any problems setting the elevations using Google Earth as a reference. The Google Earth images are sharp enough that you should be able to use them as an overlay to create the course.

I volunteered to help designers get started by creating a plot with the overlay on it, and sized to the correct dimensions. If you are serious about creating that particular course, I would be happy to do that for you.

It will be a flat plot with the Google Earth images on it that you see when viewing it from Google Earth. It will be up to you do set the elevations yourself and lay out the rest of it. Another thing to consider is what you would use for the panorama.

Let me know if you want to give it a go, and I will get with you to give you some pointers and help get you started.

Cheers

Dan


MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
View user's profile Send private message
mickydavies



Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Posts: 170
Location
Fleet, UK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Any advice on using Google Earth as a starter? Reply with quote

Thanks very much guys. Bit scared by your note Dan. I will have to make a real effort... I will get a bit of prep done and will be in touch when I think I can ask some questions that won't waste your time. (And the panorama will be a challenge)!!!

View user's profile Send private message
Danny D



Joined: 02 Dec 2015
Posts: 639
Location
SE Missouri

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Any advice on using Google Earth as a starter? Reply with quote

mickydavies wrote:
Thanks very much guys. Bit scared by your note Dan. I will have to make a real effort... I will get a bit of prep done and will be in touch when I think I can ask some questions that won't waste your time. (And the panorama will be a challenge)!!!
OK Mickey. If there's anything you don't understand about the process, don't hesitate to ask.

Best wishes,

Dan


MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
View user's profile Send private message
brooks2345



Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Posts: 286
Location
Southampton, England

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: Any advice on using Google Earth as a starter? Reply with quote

Hi Mickey

The way that Danny D does it is exactly the way I work. You can download Google Earth picture of your course, save it to a file then use Photoshop to create a 1024x1024 24-bit TGA texture file.

Then use this to create your course, expanding the file to create holes that agree exactly with the hole lengths (use the measuring tape icon for this). .

Easiest way to get the elevations is to use the elevation feature in Google Earth hole-by-hole, then just fill in slopes between holes.

You do this LAST, after creating greens, tees, fairways, water hazards and bunkers, then seam blends, then planting. You then swap what's left of your file for rough,

Mountain Ash should be a doddle.

Good luck and cheers

John Brooks


View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Danny D



Joined: 02 Dec 2015
Posts: 639
Location
SE Missouri

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Any advice on using Google Earth as a starter? Reply with quote

brooks2345 wrote:
Hi Mickey

The way that Danny D does it is exactly the way I work. You can download Google Earth picture of your course, save it to a file then use Photoshop to create a 1024x1024 24-bit TGA texture file.

Then use this to create your course, expanding the file to create holes that agree exactly with the hole lengths (use the measuring tape icon for this). .

Easiest way to get the elevations is to use the elevation feature in Google Earth hole-by-hole, then just fill in slopes between holes.

You do this LAST, after creating greens, tees, fairways, water hazards and bunkers, then seam blends, then planting. You then swap what's left of your file for rough,

Mountain Ash should be a doddle.

Good luck and cheers

John Brooks
I already have a plot laid out for him with the yardages already set up, and ready to start setting the elevations. Yes

I decided recently that when I create an overlay for someone, I will send it to them as a CRZ plot, pre-sized to accurate yardages and ready to go...

It is ready for him to load up, should he decide to take it on. All he has to do is ask me to send it to him. Smile

Dan


MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
View user's profile Send private message
Adelade



Joined: 03 Jul 2007
Posts: 69

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Any advice on using Google Earth as a starter? Reply with quote

How high resolution did you make it?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Strong4W



Joined: 28 Feb 2018
Posts: 9
Location
Washington, D.C.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Any advice on using Google Earth as a starter? Reply with quote

Danny, you're saying to set the elevations at the tail end of the design process, which makes sense. Can I assume that adjusting verts in a periodic grid-like pattern would work well for even course coverage, and filling in the voids as you describe as a fine tuning task?

Regards

Kevin


If you want to run with the big dogs, get off the porch!
View user's profile Send private message
Danny D



Joined: 02 Dec 2015
Posts: 639
Location
SE Missouri

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Any advice on using Google Earth as a starter? Reply with quote

Strong4W wrote:
Danny, you're saying to set the elevations at the tail end of the design process, which makes sense. Can I assume that adjusting verts in a periodic grid-like pattern would work well for even course coverage, and filling in the voids as you describe as a fine tuning task?
No, I didn't say to set ALL the elevations at the end of the process. At the END of all of the construction work, the elevations should already be close. All you need to do to finalize it, is to go over every green, bunker, bunker lip, tee box, fairway edges and so on (all play areas) and fine tune them using Google Earth...

Setting the entire plot elevations are the very first step once you apply the overlay to the plot and size it. Go to GE and retrieve elevations from all over the entire course, mark them on your overlay, pop a vert into every one of them, and lift or lower each one to the GE measurements. The more spots that you create and elevate, the more accurate the entire plot will be. When all elevations are to your liking, THEN you start laying out the course. With the land all set to proper elevations at the beginning, all of the rest of the land will already be close, as you create your fairways and greens etc... Then, when your course is complete, go over each area and fine-tune them.

I'm going to be typing up a tutorial soon on how this process is done. I will post it for the new designers that are not yet familiar with the process. Look for it within a couple of days. Hopefully it will clear up your questions.

Best wishes,

Dan


MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
View user's profile Send private message
Danny D



Joined: 02 Dec 2015
Posts: 639
Location
SE Missouri

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Any advice on using Google Earth as a starter? Reply with quote

Adelade wrote:
How high resolution did you make it?
The maximum resolution for an overlay picture is 4096x4096. The APCD can accept one that large. However, the overlay MUST be deleted from your course before you do a validate & save, and play it with Links2003. The maximum texture size that Links will render is, unfortunately, 1024x1024. Sad

Dan


MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
View user's profile Send private message
Strong4W



Joined: 28 Feb 2018
Posts: 9
Location
Washington, D.C.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Any advice on using Google Earth as a starter? Reply with quote

Thank you Danny. I gotcha. I already have an aerial overlay completed courtesy of the video series by Lez, and after reviewing #25, I see I misinterpreted something, but all is good now. I think I'll get elevations of the course perimeter, and then rough plot the fairways, center of greens, and fill in open areas. Thanks for the assist.

Regards

Kevin


If you want to run with the big dogs, get off the porch!
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
 

New to Links? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.