Please support Links Corner    

If I were you, I'd lay off for a couple of weeks...and then quit. - Jimmy Demaret to Johnny Carson
Edge lines View older topic :: View newer topic  
sagevanni

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Edge lines Reply with quote

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to solve this....????? I have tried everything I know having to do with edges, textures, seams........

[url][/url]

Thanks.......Sage...... Smile

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Edge lines Reply with quote

Might be worth reducing the number of edges and verts in that section

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Sir Terry Pratchett
Danny D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Edge lines Reply with quote

sagevanni wrote:
Hi all,

Does anyone know how to solve this....????? I have tried everything I know having to do with edges, textures, seams........

Thanks.......Sage...... Smile
If you figure it out, please enlighten me. Unsure

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
sagevanni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Edge lines Reply with quote

Not many verts or edges........

Ian wells

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Edge lines Reply with quote

Hi Sage,

I, too, await being enlightened. Dunno (The seam looks very good) Clap

Ian

sagevanni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Edge lines Reply with quote

Hi Ian.......thanks

To all others......

It is stumping me.......I have seen this in other courses I have done but not to this extent. I 1st noticed it way back when I did my 1st rendition of Cypress on some bunker lips. It was so slight I never really gave it any thought. Now this is just gross....!!!!! If I find a solution I will surely share.

Sage......

Smile

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Edge lines Reply with quote

Have you tried having all the edges running in the same direction before you do the blend?

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Sir Terry Pratchett
sagevanni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Edge lines Reply with quote

Hi Stephen,

I just did a test bunker having all edges in same direction. Same issue. I also check an area where I have elevation change along a lake shore and the same issue is there also........Has to be something in the database.

Will keep investigating......

Sage...... Smile

McCoist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Edge lines Reply with quote

I'm sure this is just a thing that happens, we need acrillix to clarify

sagevanni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Edge lines Reply with quote

Still waiting on possible solution.......I have nothing......

Sage....... Smile

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Edge lines Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure this is just a quirk of the rendering engine that tends to highlight the mesh sometimes. Seems to be most prevalent in areas of the mesh with accentuated elevation change (like around bunkers) and where the texture gets stretched a bit and shadowed.

I ran into this a long time ago when I was getting familiar with APCD. I posted a very similar image and the consensus was there was not much that could be done aside from softening elevations and/or playing with edges and verts in the area. I didn't have much luck with edges (like you) so concluded that trying to minimize the texture shadowing by adjusting vert elevations was the best way to minimize it and make it less noticeable.

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
sagevanni

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Edge lines Reply with quote

Hi John,

Many thanks........Best explanation yet........seems VERY plausible.....

Sage...... Smile

brooks2345

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Edge lines Reply with quote

Hi Sage

I second Stephen Sullivan - I always make sure my verts run in the same direction, AND I try to keep the distance between the top and bottom of seams minimal, AND I make sure that the edge count for each vert is set to zero. Otherwise you could have a program problem.

Cheers

John Brooks

Danny D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Edge lines Reply with quote

JWGriffinGCA wrote:
I'm pretty sure this is just a quirk of the rendering engine that tends to highlight the mesh sometimes. Seems to be most prevalent in areas of the mesh with accentuated elevation change (like around bunkers) and where the texture gets stretched a bit and shadowed.

I ran into this a long time ago when I was getting familiar with APCD. I posted a very similar image and the consensus was there was not much that could be done aside from softening elevations and/or playing with edges and verts in the area. I didn't have much luck with edges (like you) so concluded that trying to minimize the texture shadowing by adjusting vert elevations was the best way to minimize it and make it less noticeable.

John
I came to the conclusion that it has everything to do with the angle the light is hitting it. I was noticing it on some custom tees someone had made. On some of the tees, the lines didn't show at all, while on one or two of them, the shadows showed. Another example that I saw was some small wooden barrels someone had made for trash containers on the tee boxes. Almost all of them looked perfect, but a couple of them had the lines that showed really bad. The only difference I saw was the angle the light was falling on the surface of the objects. I have some of those showing on a steeple on top of my clubhouse, but only from one side of one steeple where the light falls on it from at an angle. I would bet that if Sage, as an experiment, would rotate the area, or change the angle so the sun falls on it differently, those lines will go away. Doing that test should prove if its the light angle.

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
sagevanni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Edge lines Reply with quote

Thank you all for your input.......much appreciated.....

Sage...... Smile

sagevanni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Edge lines Reply with quote

On a side note.......

It would have been nice if the guys who modified the game would have also modified APCD........being able to change the sun direction would be nice.......

Sage...... Smile

Danny D

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Edge lines Reply with quote

sagevanni wrote:
On a side note.......

It would have been nice if the guys who modified the game would have also modified APCD........being able to change the sun direction would be nice.......

Sage...... Smile
You can always rotate the entire plot. The sun stays stationary. Smile But you dare not do it on a course that's well underway, because any movement of the entire plot, will require a readjustment/recentering of all PLANARS Scared

Did you try latching on to all of the verts covering that area, and tilting or rotating them around, to see if you could make the lines go away? Just make a copy of your last saved CRZ, (so you don't muck up your last save file), and then open the copy in APCD and play around with it. When you're done, don't save it, just close it out and delete it...

Cheers

Dan

sagevanni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Edge lines Reply with quote

Hi Mr. "D",

Tried rotating........No go.......thanks for the suggestion....

Sage..... Smile

Adelade

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Edge lines Reply with quote

It can show up on 2d objects as well? That sounds strange. The pattern is the same?

Danny D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Edge lines Reply with quote

sagevanni wrote:
Hi Mr. "D",

Tried rotating........No go.......thanks for the suggestion....

Sage..... Smile
Well, thanks for the test. At least we now know it's not the light angle! Erm

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Golfer: Well, I have never played this badly before! Caddy: I didn't realize you had played before, sir.