Please support Links Corner    

Golf is a fascinating game. It has taken me nearly forty years to discover that I can't play it. ~Ted Ray
Question About Adjusting Ball Roll Distance in Sand... View older topic :: View newer topic  
Danny D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Question About Adjusting Ball Roll Distance in Sand... Reply with quote

Hi guys...

I recently played Wayne Hewitt's, Crooked Creek course, and noticed that the sand was somehow programmed to allow the ball to roll around like it was on bare ground. I like that concept because it keeps a player from getting a ridiculous and unrealistic 70 or 80 degree slope lie in a steep bunker.

Even though I liked the concept, I personally thought the roll was a little unrealistic for sand.

Here's a saved shot to show how the ball rolls. You'll need Crooked Creek to be able to view it. http://users.isp.com/dannyd/sandputt.SHT

If I want to do that to my bunkers, does anyone know if this sand texture was adjusted to roll like it does using the Links Extender? If so, could it be tweaked back a bit so as not to roll quite as much?

TIA,

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Question About Adjusting Ball Roll Distance in Sand... Reply with quote

Yes, it is custom terrain properties using Links Extender. See Lez Marwick's video #62.

Agree that the effect was overdone in Crooked Creek - it got a bit like pinball at times - but also agree that it is a nice concept to avoid the awkward lies on slopes of bunkers.

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
Danny D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:35 am    Post subject: Question About Adjusting Ball Roll Distance in Sand... Reply with quote

JWGriffinGCA wrote:
Yes, it is custom terrain properties using Links Extender. See Lez Marwick's video #62.

Agree that the effect was overdone in Crooked Creek - it got a bit like pinball at times - but also agree that it is a nice concept to avoid the awkward lies on slopes of bunkers.

John
Thanks John. I was not aware of any videos that covered the Links Extender, and I thought I had viewed every one of Lez' video's at least twice. I'll take a look. Perhaps the first time I watched it, it didn't click in my brain.

Best wishes,

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Duck Hook

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Question About Adjusting Ball Roll Distance in Sand... Reply with quote

Apparently it's a real mongrel of a thing to work with and not very easy to get the desired effect, so I've heard.
It was created initially so they could add custom course conditions for Augusta I think?

Good luck Dan
T
Thumb Up

Danny D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Question About Adjusting Ball Roll Distance in Sand... Reply with quote

JWGriffinGCA wrote:

John
Yup, it didn't click in my brain. Now that I've viewed video 62, I remember seeing the Extender. But that was at a time when my mind was a complete blur from trying to absorb other things, and after watching it the first time I determined that the Links Extender was nothing I would be dealing with for a while. Now that a "while" has past, and I have a better understanding of the APCD, it actually made sense this time.

I have a test installation of APCD that I use to experiment with on functions that are new to me, so when I actually put them to use on my course, I'll know what I'm doing. In doing it that way, there's less of a chance of hosing the APCD installation that I've used since I started my existing course.

Thanks again for the tip JW. If I get the sand set the way I think works better, I'll make the settings known...

Dan

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Talking to a golf ball won't do you any good. Unless you do it while your opponent is teeing off. - Bruce Lansky