Please support Links Corner    

New to Links? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.
not saving View older topic :: View newer topic  
GaryRebozo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: not saving Reply with quote

I can play links 2003 perfectly on my windows 10 PC...but it will not save shots or rounds. I purchased my copy from the links country club site. I had windows 7 at that time and remember it saving stuff. The file is there in My Documents with folders for saving things...but when you try to save in game...not even a pic of the course, it's name or anything else shows. What is wrong? Not being able to save your good shots really brings down a great golf game.

pmgolf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: not saving Reply with quote

I expect that you'er going to have to describe in detail what happens when you try to save in order for anyone to be able to help you. Do you click on "Record Round" before you start the round? How do you save a shot? I know, but do you?

Pete

Danny D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: not saving Reply with quote

GaryRebozo wrote:
I can play links 2003 perfectly on my windows 10 PC...but it will not save shots or rounds. I purchased my copy from the links country club site. I had windows 7 at that time and remember it saving stuff. The file is there in My Documents with folders for saving things...but when you try to save in game...not even a pic of the course, it's name or anything else shows. What is wrong? Not being able to save your good shots really brings down a great golf game.
I've heard some folks complain about Microsoft hiding your files in a (please forgive me if I'm wrong) virtual store or something of that nature. Your saved shots may be stored there. I'm sorry, but I can't tell you anything about finding them. I'm sure one of the other guys will...

Good luck,

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
GaryRebozo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: not saving Reply with quote

pmgolf wrote:
I expect that you'er going to have to describe in detail what happens when you try to save in order for anyone to be able to help you. Do you click on "Record Round" before you start the round? How do you save a shot? I know, but do you?

Pete

I was not aware of a "record round" option. I must have overlooked that. I do know how to save a shot. it comes up as an after-shot action. However, when you hit save shot or save round....even the most rudimentary things do not show in the box. The course name, hole number, etc. Whether it saves or not....it is highly unusual for that info not to show up. I will look for the "record round" option....but surely....it should at the very least....save a round. I do not know why "ALL" the info is there, but does not show up in the after-shot box. The folders were put into "My Documents"....but why....if the game does not save them there? I can do instant replays, so I know that data is saved....even if temporarily. Also it does save my ongoing stats....birdies, greens in regulation, etc.If it is windows 10.....why does it save overall stats and not great shots, and the middle of a round?? I find that very strange. anyway,I hope I detailed what happens, and thanks for your reply. I would appreciate any help I can get......GaryRebozo.

gator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: not saving Reply with quote

To Danny D's point, check out the fourth post in this thread, linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33715, where Armand provides a way for you to determine where Links is placing files depending on several variables assuming you allowed Links to install to its default location.

The way to avoid the virtual store from taking over placement of files on your PC is to install Links to a location other than where it wants to go by default, as example 'C:\Links 2003'.

Danny D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: not saving Reply with quote

GaryRebozo wrote:
I was not aware of a "record round" option. I must have overlooked that. I do know how to save a shot. it comes up as an after-shot action. However, when you hit save shot or save round....even the most rudimentary things do not show in the box. The course name, hole number, etc. Whether it saves or not....it is highly unusual for that info not to show up. I will look for the "record round" option....but surely....it should at the very least....save a round. I do not know why "ALL" the info is there, but does not show up in the after-shot box. The folders were put into "My Documents"....but why....if the game does not save them there? I can do instant replays, so I know that data is saved....even if temporarily. Also it does save my ongoing stats....birdies, greens in regulation, etc.If it is windows 10.....why does it save overall stats and not great shots, and the middle of a round?? I find that very strange. anyway,I hope I detailed what happens, and thanks for your reply. I would appreciate any help I can get......GaryRebozo.
Hi Gary...
Since I don't know how experienced you are, and by some of the comments you made, for the sake of this discussion, I'll assume you are new with Links2003...

A few tips about saving things. (before I say more, know that I have no idea where Windows 10 stores the files that you create. Once again, your saved files might be going to Windows 10 Virtual Store, and Links won't be able to find them. If that is the case, you need to fix that before anything else. You can't replay them if Links can't find them.)

Saving Replays

Links does NOT automatically save rounds or shots that you make. You must initiate the saves manually, and then you can replay them later when you finish the round.

To RECORD a round, you must select RECORD at the PLAYER SUBMIT screen as you are starting a round. Be aware that when recording, you cannot use mulligans or gimmies.

To save a shot, as soon as you make the shot, you must manually select the SAVE SHOT option BEFORE you hit continue. You must then name the saved shot. Once it is saved, you can go back later replay it.

THINGS TO REMEMBER
If someone sends you a RECORDED ROUND, or a SAVED SHOT that you want to watch, be aware that you must have the course it was recorded from to be able to replay or view them. You must also place the files in the correct folders on your hard drive so Links can find them, so once you learn where these files are being stored, make a note for future reference...

To view SAVED SHOTS.
Start Links2003
Select PLAY GOLF
Select VIEW SAVED SHOTS. (all of your saved shots will show up in the box, if they are stored in the proper places on your hard drive.)
Select one to view the course and shot information. If it's RED, you don't have the course and can't view it.

To view a RECORDED ROUND
Start Links2003
Select OPTIONS
Select COURSE MANAGER

See picture below...

Hope this helped.

Good luck,

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Armand

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: not saving Reply with quote

Saved games and shots should be in the My Documents locations, but you could check in the following hidden folder:
C;\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Links 2003

I wouldn't expect to see them there, but .....

You may also want to check here to be thorough:
C:\ProgramData\Links 2003

Failing that, just make sure you have hidden files showing and then search your hard drive for *.SHT and/or *.REC.

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Members Tech Forums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

It's not a good idea to pick up lost golfballs while they're still rolling. ~ Mark Twain