Please support Links Corner    

I play with friends, but we don't play friendly games. -Ben Hogan
How Many Links Designers out there are working on upcoming projects now ?Goto page 1, 2  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
sagevanni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: How Many Links Designers out there are working on upcoming projects now ? Reply with quote

How Many Links Designers out there are working on upcoming projects now and how many of you out there are course designers.....???

Sage...... Smile

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: How Many Links Designers out there are working on upcoming projects now ? Reply with quote

I'm a course designer who just doesn't have the time to open APCD at the moment.

I play Powerstroke and now run the European Tour at LSPN. Playing powerstroke, I find I have to play quite a bit to actually keep my swing going.

Also, I'm working on the 2019 events at the moment. I have done 44 out of the 50 events so far, and fortunately have already done the Handicap event part of the tour.

Would REALLY like to do some of the Middle East courses that are now a big part of the European Tour as there aren't many decent desert courses out there to use as replacements Whistle

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Sir Terry Pratchett
brooks2345

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: How Many Links Designers out there are working on upcoming projects now ? Reply with quote

Well, I've got a few courses like Thurlestone, St Lucia, and St Kitts, but I've rather lost interest since (a) my broken leg's returned to something like normal so I can play proper golf and (b) I was slagged off by someone I've never heard of for producing just outline courses (at least it gave people a chance to play courses that otherwise they'd never have been able to).

Anyway, given the above, from now on I just design courses for my own amusement.

Cheers

John Brooks Sad

Ian wells

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: How Many Links Designers out there are working on upcoming projects now ? Reply with quote

I am still trying to be a Links designer, and I am attempting to make a rendition of a real life course. Early days - remember Wade Hampton took 4 years - but should my initial enthusiasm continue, this course will be quicker. Not Sage quick, but quicker.
Ian

ww2marine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: How Many Links Designers out there are working on upcoming projects now ? Reply with quote

A big tip of the hat to all of you.

Bob, Clap Clap Clap Clap

Ride, ride the carousel
Reach for the golden ring
Never to end but to begin again
Life is a circular thing
grandpabruce

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:28 am    Post subject: How Many Links Designers out there are working on upcoming projects now ? Reply with quote

I appreciate all of you course designers, too!

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
Danny D

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: How Many Links Designers out there are working on upcoming projects now ? Reply with quote

Well, I guess you can consider me a designer, but I'm better at replicating than designing. I did make up a couple of fantasy courses during my learning the APCD.

I am currently working on replicating "The National Golf Club of Kansas City". I began on Jan. 1st of this year, and I work on it pretty much every day for several hours a day. I'm within a couple of weeks of starting the planting stages. I was hoping to complete it in one year, but the planting will be pretty extensive. I doubt I'll make it.

Wish me luck,

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Adelade

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: How Many Links Designers out there are working on upcoming projects now ? Reply with quote

Working on my debut fictional, about to start the planting process but Im trying to make sure everything with the library and stuff are as they should first and that I do things the right way, and then I'll playtest it before finishing fine-tuning of elevations and some other details, Im hoping it will be complete in 2-3 months but who knows. Would love to make a real course after but Im still undecided about which.

derricksummers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: How Many Links Designers out there are working on upcoming projects now ? Reply with quote

Not Worthy John
Please don't let any remarks made put you off uploading .
I don't recall any of the remarks slagging you off , they were just trying to give you what I feel was good advice at the time
I have several of your courses on my drive and I enjoy playing them so keep on doing what you are capable of doing.
At the moment I am not getting on very well with designing due to a problem with my fingers and arms getting pins and needles and then feeling numb after a short period. The later as probably worked down from the brain. It's very frustrating and I have to pack it in when it happens as my fingers and hand just wont operate the mouse.
Derrick

Eddie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: How Many Links Designers out there are working on upcoming projects now ? Reply with quote

I'm working on Pinehurst #8, current status is I'm finishing up hole 16 sloping and reshaping. I have some neat ideas and plans for textures (bunkers, waste sand and pine needles) that should set it apart from my other courses. I haven't made much progress as at times physical and other activities get in the way but I am moving forward and looking forward to the planting stage (I started but plan to replant).

I've considered starting a fictional course in a mountain setting but not positive I will complete it.

Also am laying the groundwork for Seminole Golf Club and plan on doing that next although not sure what I'll be playing in the future.

May God Bless!

ww2marine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: How Many Links Designers out there are working on upcoming projects now ? Reply with quote

Eddie wrote:
I'm working on Pinehurst #8, current status is I'm finishing up hole 16 sloping and reshaping. I have some neat ideas and plans for textures (bunkers, waste sand and pine needles) that should set it apart from my other courses. I haven't made much progress as at times physical and other activities get in the way but I am moving forward and looking forward to the planting stage (I started but plan to replant).

I've considered starting a fictional course in a mountain setting but not positive I will complete it.

Also am laying the groundwork for Seminole Golf Club and plan on doing that next although not sure what I'll be playing in the future.

May God Bless!

Eddie,

You are now in my will.

Bob,

Ride, ride the carousel
Reach for the golden ring
Never to end but to begin again
Life is a circular thing
brooks2345

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: How Many Links Designers out there are working on upcoming projects now ? Reply with quote

Derrick

It wasn't you! And I've got a lot of good advice from your posts over the years. Hope your fingers recover soon.

Cheers

John Brooks Smile

Duck Hook

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject: How Many Links Designers out there are working on upcoming projects now ? Reply with quote

I have a few courses on the go, but am currently suffering from APCD burn out and haven't opened it in well over six weeks or links for that matter.
I go through these cycles where I just can't be bothered.

T

Matt_Henry

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject: How Many Links Designers out there are working on upcoming projects now ? Reply with quote

I still poke around in the APCD every now and again. Unfortunately my files for PGA West Palmer got corrupted so it will never see a final release. I had a version of SilverRock about 25% completed too but lost that file in a crash. That kind of took the wind out of my sails. I had gotten a lot further detailing the holes along the mountain and adding custom 3D too.

Been working sporadically on a couple of courses that I play in real life. Not sure I'll ever release publicly.

All that said, Links is still the best golf game period.

Adelade

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:03 am    Post subject: How Many Links Designers out there are working on upcoming projects now ? Reply with quote

Matt_Henry wrote:
lost that file in a crash. That kind of took the wind out of my sails.

Hope all of us designers know about the ctrl+S "trick" when APCD freezes up Smile Maybe it wouldnt have solved your problem but I often see people talk about APCD crashes being so frustrating, and maybe I've just been blessed but... Despite me having various crashes, it has basically never bothered me because of how pressing Ctrl+S (shortcut for Save) when it starts freezing up solves the problem. Just remember to rename saves frequently in case you like having the ability to go back and undo what youre working on.

Danny D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: How Many Links Designers out there are working on upcoming projects now ? Reply with quote

Adelade wrote:
Matt_Henry wrote:
lost that file in a crash. That kind of took the wind out of my sails.

Hope all of us designers know about the ctrl+S "trick" when APCD freezes up Smile Maybe it wouldnt have solved your problem but I often see people talk about APCD crashes being so frustrating, and maybe I've just been blessed but... Despite me having various crashes, it has basically never bothered me because of how pressing Ctrl+S (shortcut for Save) when it starts freezing up solves the problem. Just remember to rename saves frequently in case you like having the ability to go back and undo what youre working on.
Good tip Adelade! Not Worthy We learn not to work on anything for too long in the APCD, because it will most certainly end in a freeze-up, and a loss of all the work you had done since you started the session that you were working on when it crashed. I think most of us are aware of the Ctrl+S trick. I use it myself, and in most cases it has saved it.

I have not figured out what makes it freeze, but I suspect the program must be limited in how many functions it can perform before it runs out of either memory, or file overuse. Seems like after a few hundred vert turns or creations, it locks up pretty fast. It's very easy to spend a couple of hours deeply involved in something you're working on, without thinking about saving, and then have it crash. You have to stay aware of that at all times.

I've had 2 types of crashes. The simple harmless type, like the ones you described where a quick Ctrl+S saves it, and one other freeze-up where it did NOT save the work. It ended up DOUBLING the size of the CRZ file I was working on, which corrupted it, making it useless.

I had worked one night for about 4 hours, and was doing simple saves, and waiting for the end of my nightly session before I did a SAVE AS. Even though I was saving periodically, and exiting, and restarting periodically, I had not done any SAVE AS functions. it crashed and corrupted that file I was working with. Needless to say, I lost all 4 hours that night. A valuable lesson learned. Wall Bash Sad So I started doing SAVE AS more often, and restarting the APCD more often. I started my present course on Jan. 1st this year, and have been doing a SAVE AS about every 2 hours. I am currently on my 365th SAVE AS file. That translates into roughly 700 hours of work, so far.

That's a lot of work and determination for a game, but the self satisfaction and reward we feel for ourselves to be able to shape a flat, one thousand square yard plot into a realistic looking golf course, using little sticks and pictures, is one hellava great feeling in the end, don't ya think? Smile

Cheers Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Adelade

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: How Many Links Designers out there are working on upcoming projects now ? Reply with quote

Corrupted files yea that sounds awful, at least its good to know that can happen.

ponkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: New course Reply with quote

Hi
Im working on Royal Porthcawl.
It's hosted the British Senior Open twice in the last few years and the British Amateur Championship.
I fell in love with it this summer when i played it.

Peter

Danny D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New course Reply with quote

ponkey wrote:
Hi
Im working on Royal Porthcawl.
It's hosted the British Senior Open twice in the last few years and the British Amateur Championship.
I fell in love with it this summer when i played it.

Peter
SWEET! Thumb Up Keep us posted on your progress...

Dan

Strong4W

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: How Many Links Designers out there are working on upcoming projects now ? Reply with quote

I haven't been around for a while, with work, family, and other obligations. I started two courses about a year ago, while simultaneously trying to decipher APCD, with no tangible results. My 1st attempt looks like Microsoft's initial renditions on 5 1/4 floppy disks! LOL The learning curve is so steep, and I've been discouraged at proceeding further until I can competently master basic tasks that are prerequisites for producing a playable course.

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Want to play Links again but lost your CDs? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.