Please support Links Corner    

When I die, bury me on the golf course so my husband will visit. ~ Anon
How much longer is Links 2003 gonna be around...???Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: How much longer is Links 2003 gonna be around...??? Reply with quote

Duck Hook wrote:
Hardware is my biggest issue. I've never been able to get Links to run in win 7 on my Alienware platform and will be soon upgrading to a new win10 machine so who knows??
While my old Vista dinosaur soldiers on I'm safe and I do have a win xp machine mothballed in case too!
Other than that, I'll be around at least till my old mate Indiana John releases Kenfig Golf Club, so that'll be like forever!!!! Laugh Smile

T

Laugh

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Not much new to report, unfortunately. Much too busy this summer with other things. Hope to get back to it this fall & winter.

Glad to see you might be taking a crack at Tara Iti. Drool

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
Duck Hook

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: How much longer is Links 2003 gonna be around...??? Reply with quote

JWGriffinGCA wrote:
Duck Hook wrote:
Hardware is my biggest issue. I've never been able to get Links to run in win 7 on my Alienware platform and will be soon upgrading to a new win10 machine so who knows??
While my old Vista dinosaur soldiers on I'm safe and I do have a win xp machine mothballed in case too!
Other than that, I'll be around at least till my old mate Indiana John releases Kenfig Golf Club, so that'll be like forever!!!! Laugh Smile

T

Laugh

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Not much new to report, unfortunately. Much too busy this summer with other things. Hope to get back to it this fall & winter.

Glad to see you might be taking a crack at Tara Iti. Drool

John

Hey mate
Thumb Up

Redskin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: How much longer is Links 2003 gonna be around...??? Reply with quote

I've been playing this game for a very long time. I helped Jerry Garlish run a Links tour on AOL --- too many years ago to remember. I'll be here to close the door and turn the lights out.
Jim

Don't worry about temptation. As you grow older, it starts avoiding you.
--Old Farmer's Almanac
ww2marine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: How much longer is Links 2003 gonna be around...??? Reply with quote

Redskin wrote:
I've been playing this game for a very long time. I helped Jerry Garlish run a Links tour on AOL --- too many years ago to remember. I'll be here to close the door and turn the lights out.
Jim

Jim,

Before you do please check and make sure you didn't lock me in.

Bob,

Ride, ride the carousel
Reach for the golden ring
Never to end but to begin again
Life is a circular thing
Duck Hook

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: How much longer is Links 2003 gonna be around...??? Reply with quote

Duck Hook wrote:
Hardware is my biggest issue. I've never been able to get Links to run in win 7 on my Alienware platform

T

Well wouldn't you know it. After gator went out of his way to offer some great advice and point me in the right direction I'm finally able to run links in Alienware after nothing more than few clicks of the mouse.
As i said to gator, after 8 years I don't know whether to laugh or cry.... Laugh

Thanks gator!

T
Thumb Up

gator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: How much longer is Links 2003 gonna be around...??? Reply with quote

Todd,

Glad those links helped you out! Alienware, even though it is a 'gaming machine', has had a problem with Links (and probably plenty of older games) for a long time now.

Happy to be of assistance.

2PuttJeff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Hope That Links 2003 Sticks Around For a Long Time Reply with quote

I just got back into playing Links 2003 after having a 10-year break and it has been so cool to get back into the game. I did to play an online golf game that was called "WGT Golf," but I didn't like it as well as Links. After reading the comments of the great Links golfer community, I sincerely believe that Links will be around for a long time.

Jeff Thumb Up

rollej

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:01 am    Post subject: How much longer is Links 2003 gonna be around...??? Reply with quote

I will play as long as I can get the computers to work….

Roland Johansson
Göteborg, Sweden

RTS Elite
Courses played: 660 , Rounds played: 3267
Max64

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: How much longer is Links 2003 gonna be around...??? Reply with quote

Duck Hook wrote:

Well wouldn't you know it. After gator went out of his way to offer some great advice and point me in the right direction I'm finally able to run links in Alienware after nothing more than few clicks of the mouse.
As i said to gator, after 8 years I don't know whether to laugh or cry.... Laugh

Thanks gator!

T
Thumb Up

What was the fix? Alienware from what I can make out had the same issue with Links I pointed out in my Members tech forum post. Disabling USB devices should fix it. Just curious what you did???
I know I 've read a lot of workarounds on Alienware for games not working but they all amount to this one same problem I've outlined.

Duck Hook

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: How much longer is Links 2003 gonna be around...??? Reply with quote

Hi Max

I did exactly what was said in this thread:
http://linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30766

Basically disabled what is called the USB input device and rebooted.
Links has worked good as gold ever since.

What I normally use on the PC works as normal. The usb ports I use for flash drives and external drives etc all function as normal.

I thought I might have to be continually enabling and disabling the device but so far I've been able to leave it disabled with no worries... Dunno

Cheers
T
Thumb Up

EDIT:

Just discovered your thread was the second on the list provided to me by gator. The first one worked so I didn't check it out.

Um, what exactly does this thing I disabled do?

Max64

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: How much longer is Links 2003 gonna be around...??? Reply with quote

Duck Hook wrote:
Hi Max

I did exactly what was said in this thread:
http://linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30766

Basically disabled what is called the USB input device and rebooted.
Links has worked good as gold ever since.

What I normally use on the PC works as normal. The usb ports I use for flash drives and external drives etc all function as normal.

I thought I might have to be continually enabling and disabling the device but so far I've been able to leave it disabled with no worries... Dunno

Cheers
T
Thumb Up

EDIT:

Just discovered your thread was the second on the list provided to me by gator. The first one worked so I didn't check it out.

Um, what exactly does this thing I disabled do?

I had a quick skim, yes, same thing as I posted it appears. True cause I don't know if anyone knows but I have found over the last several months something in the USB aspect of Windows has stopped many, many games working for likely thousands of users and still does. I've kept track and it happens everywhere for all sorts of games and on all sorts of PC's. Alienware and Links are in particular two bitter enemies where this problem is highly common.

I only skimmed the thread so not sure what you did exactly. Disabling a USB HID device something will now not work but if it isn't affecting anything you normally do or use, doesn't matter. This is what needs to be done to run the game and once done the game will run perfectly.

Duck Hook

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: How much longer is Links 2003 gonna be around...??? Reply with quote

FYI this is exactly what I did:

In devices and printers right clicked on the PC icon, selected properties.
Clicked on hardware, in the list of device functions that comes up the one right at the bottom is called USB input device. Clicked on that, it's telling me it's located at port_#0001.Hub_#0006. Clicked on properties, clicked on change settings, selected disable device and rebooted.

Tried every usb port with my mouse and they all worked. A couple of times there was some hesitation but every port worked. So, dunno?

T

Redskin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: How much longer is Links 2003 gonna be around...??? Reply with quote

ww2marine wrote:

Before you do please check and make sure you didn't lock me in.

Bob,

Bob -- I'll make the rounds of all open and closed doors -- with my trusty flash light. ;)
Jim

Don't worry about temptation. As you grow older, it starts avoiding you.
--Old Farmer's Almanac
Pinseeker33

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: How much longer is Links 2003 gonna be around...??? Reply with quote

Links 2003 is still the best most realistic easiest to play golf game around and I will keep playing it until they cart me over to the incinerator.

Pete Clap

grandpabruce

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: How much longer is Links 2003 gonna be around...??? Reply with quote

I echo the posts by those who will play this silly game until we can no longer play.

Last edited by grandpabruce on Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
RobV

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: How much longer is Links 2003 gonna be around...??? Reply with quote

Still playing Friday nights with friends and family... 3somes, 4somes, sometimes 5!

BIG thanks to the course designers who are still creating new courses for us to play!

I will play until I cannot play any longer!

Danny D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: How much longer is Links 2003 gonna be around...??? Reply with quote

grandpabruce wrote:
I echo the posts by those who will play this silly game until we can no longer play.
Until the cows come home, right pard? Smile

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
grandpabruce

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: How much longer is Links 2003 gonna be around...??? Reply with quote

Danny D wrote:
grandpabruce wrote:
Until the cows come home, right pard? Smile

You got it. Smile

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
tomdawson

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: I love Links 2003 Reply with quote

I have been with links since the beginning. I hated it when access sold it to Microsoft, but Microsoft did make some improvement. I only wish they were as loyal as access was. I love the game and will not quit as long as I can play and make it work on my computers

mistermike40

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: How much longer is Links 2003 gonna be around...??? Reply with quote

I've been playing since 1991 (Links: The Challenge Of Golf for DOS), purchasing each new course (on floppy disc) as they became available. Don't play as much anymore but - now retired - I'm starting to get back into it.

I remember the screen load times for Pinehurst on my first computer (a 386SX)... if that didn't deter me 27 years ago, nothing will stop me from playing Links 2003 now :)

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

Is my good friend in the rough, or is the b*&#*$d on the green? - James Bond