Please support Links Corner    

Make your views count - make sure you vote in the Player's Choice polls.
Wade Hampton GC BETA released for commentsGoto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
Weeler

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Ian.....I sent you a PM recently, just in case you haven't checked.

Thanks

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Ian wells wrote:
John,
I looked at the link but couldn't see anything about a new tee on the 9th?

Hi Ian - about halfway down the article:

"The project has also seen tee levelling, the creation of a new putting green and short game area close to the clubhouse, and improvements to the practice tee staging area. All cart paths have been replaced and reshaped to improve drainage and player access. A new back tee has been added on the par four ninth hole."

I agree it would be tough to properly add a new tee if you don't have an updated aerial to work from. Just saw the article and immediately thought you might like to see it.

Thumb Up

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
Ian wells

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Wheeler,
I don't understand what has happened I am certain that I sent you a reply PM but I cannot find it. My apologies
I am happy and grateful to receive any and all comments. The difference in water colors was to differentiate between flowing water and still(ish) water. I will change the running water to reflective and see how it looks better.

John
My apologies. I must be blind. Thanks for sending the article and I will be checking Google Earth for an update.

Ian

gene_golf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Here is a different site describing the Wade Hampton course and it lists different lengths for holes than Golf Tripper site. Hole #9 is listed as playing 442 yards. https://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/wadehamptongc/index.htm

pmgolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Hole 6 is where the real problems begin. There are some pins where the slope is fairly reasonable, but the area isn't big enough for a pin placement. Where the pin is placed, you need to take into consideration 3 feet from the pin in all directions. A six foot wide circle. That allows enough real estate for a player to stop his ball near the pin with an excellent shot. From 150 yards, a circle with a radius of 12 inches (2 foot circle) is too small a target to be reasonable, and that's what hole 6 offers with most pins. The elevation changes too drastically within a short distance. The green rises four feet going from front to back which makes things very difficult. Based on what I saw, there are only 3 playable pin positions on the hole - all of them at the front of the green (0,1 and 7).

Hole 6 Left

Hole 6 Right

It's a deal-breaker. I wouldn't want to play the course with that green as it is. But you can keep some of those pins that are only playable under the softest and slowest conditions if that's your thing - just smooth the green enough so there can be a half-dozen or so pins that are playable at all speeds.

Pete

pmgolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

I found 3 problem pins on Hole 7.

Hole 7 Pin 9

Move the pin 11 feet to where the aiming stick is.

Hole 7 Pins 10 and 3

Move Pin 10 to the right 6 feet where the yellow aiming stick is. Move Pin 3 back 15+ feet to where the red and white aiming stick is.

Pete

pmgolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Hole 8:

Hole 8 Pin 1

Move Pin 1 back toward Pin 3.

Hole 8 Pin 8

Move Pin 8 toward Pin 17

Hole 8 Pins 12, 0, 11 and 6

Move all 4 pins to the area indicated by the aiming stick.

Pete

pmgolf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Hole 9:

Hole 9 Left

Hole 9 Right

The bottom of the Pin sticks need to be inside the red-outlined area (grid color red).

Pete

gene_golf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

pmgolf wrote:
Hole 9:
Hole 9 Left

Hole 9 Right

The bottom of the Pin sticks need to be inside the red-outlined area (grid color red).
Pete

This post reminds me of what was said about pins at recent US Open for holes #13 and 15 on Saturday---that they were about a yard too close to edge of green making them unplayable under conditions that worsened as day went on. Provided that pins stayed in same spots at Wade Hampton spreading them out to most reaches of the greens---is there a maximum playing condition where these would be acceptable to play just as for a real course? The way the talk has gone so far seems to be that pin locations by the standard set up has to be such as to make them eligible for even the firmest/fastest conditions to be played.

gene_golf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

It's a deal-breaker. I wouldn't want to play the course with that green as it is. But you can keep some of those pins that are only playable under the softest and slowest conditions if that's your thing - just smooth the green enough so there can be a half-dozen or so pins that are playable at all speeds.

pmgolf also wrote above concerning hole #6. If pins were not moved or green flattened, what would be the maximum settings that supposedly bad pin locations should be set up to play under?

pmgolf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

gene_golf wrote:

pmgolf also wrote above concerning hole #6. If pins were not moved or green flattened, what would be the maximum settings that supposedly bad pin locations should be set up to play under?

If pins were not moved or green flattened then the green would be just as it is right now, right? And I said I wouldn't want to play it. If you want to know the maximum conditions for playing it as it is now - you play it.

You're awfully good at criticizing, Gene. Why don't you take over working with these pins. See how easy it is to make the course playable for a majority of players. I'll gladly pass it on so you can apply your expertise.

Pete

gene_golf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:29 am    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

pmgolf wrote:
gene_golf wrote:

If pins were not moved or green flattened then the green would be just as it is right now, right? And I said I wouldn't want to play it. If you want to know the maximum conditions for playing it as it is now - you play it.

You're awfully good at criticizing, Gene. Why don't you take over working with these pins. See how easy it is to make the course playable for a majority of players. I'll gladly pass it on so you can apply your expertise.

Pete

Pete or pmgolf, Seeing as you came up with your standards---it makes sense that you might elaborate on each and every pin position for every green on the course as presently exists now the most harsh condition in which they might be played is my feeling. That would make for full knowledge that Ian wells could utilize when he does any further work on moving pins or leveling out areas on the greens at Wade Hampton.

gene_golf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Pete or pmgolf where you wrote of bad pins on hole #7 as 3 and 10--- these were listed as playing only as moderate by Ian Wells.

pmgolf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Gene_Golf: "it makes sense that you might elaborate on each and every pin position for every green on the course as presently exists now the most harsh condition in which they might be played is my feeling."

It may make sense to you, pal, but I don't have time to do the pins and explain everything to you. Sorry.

Pete

Ian wells

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Mashie,
I am starting to update the course for final issue and I have looked at the properties for the Soil (Mud) and can't find any problems.

Can you help me by explaining where exactly it is when you "did notice on the holes where there is mud just past the width of the fairway and rough it is marked as a hazard."? (I only need one location.)

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Ian

mashie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Ian,

Hole #18, right side of fairway. Right of the single bunker about 185 yards from the green. There is fairway, then rough, mud, and soil. Both mud and soil say you are in a hazard when you hit into them. On the hole preview it's the single bunker on the right side of the fairway midway between the markings for 300 and 452 on the hole preview. BTW, the hole preview for #18 comes up when you're playing hole #12. There may be other holes with this hazard problem but this is the one I noticed it on.

Ian wells

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Thank you mashie. I found and resolved the problem.
Ian

pmgolf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:32 am    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Hole 10:

The area enclosed by red is much more suitable for pin positions. Spread them out all over the area.

Hole 10 Pin 1:

Pin 1 is on too much of a slope. The aiming stick is on as close a place as I could find.

Pete

pmgolf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Pilgrim Trails Hole 1:

I thought it might be helpful to see an example. This is the first green on a Mike Jones course. The pins are set in places that are reasonably level, and they don't have to be evenly spread out. Players putt across slopes to get to the pins, but the pins are not set on slopes or on the very edge of slopes.

Pete

pmgolf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Hole 11 all pins.

All pins on hole 11 are acceptable!

Hole 12 all pins:

All pins are acceptable. Hole 10 would be "difficult" because getting to that pin requires more risk. Pin 9 would be "Moderate", and Pin 1 would be "Easy". Less risk required to get to them. Risk needs to be accounted for in addition to slope.

Pete

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Corner All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to:  

Golfer: Do you think my game is improving? Caddy: Oh yes, sir! You miss the ball much closer than you used to.