Please support Links Corner    

It's not a good idea to pick up lost golfballs while they're still rolling. ~ Mark Twain
Wade Hampton GC BETA released for commentsGoto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
Ian wells

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

I have uploaded the course Wade Hampton GC to Andy for release.
I would like to ask anybody who plays the course to give feedback, no matter how simple or how detailed, good or bad. All comments will be reviewed and acted upon.

Thank you for playing the course and I hope it is enjoyable.

Ian Wells

Wade Hampton Golf Club is located on Highway 107 South, Cashiers, North Carolina and was founded in 1986. It has constantly been named in the Top 100 golf courses.

The information to make a rendition of the design in APCD was taken from Google Earth Pro and any photographs that I could find on the internet.

It was my intention to make as accurate a rendition of the course as possible, however, because of the limitations of APCD, the relative distances of holes 13,14 and 15 are not correct. (The distances of each hole are correct.)

There are four yardage discrepancies between the locations of the tee boxes and the greens as shown on Google Earth and the course card (https://clubsg.skygolf.com/courses/course/27348/Wade_Hampton_Golf_Club.html?tab=scorecard&#Scorecard ) :
Hole 8 ladies tee measures 290 yards although the card states it is 301.
Hole 15 junior tee measures 385 yards although the card states it is 377.
Hole 16 ladies tee measures 296 yards although the card states it is 301.
Hole 18 middle tee measures 519 yards although the card states it is 535.

I have no knowledge of this course other than the information available on the internet, therefore there are a number of factors that are not accurate to the real course:

OB
The OB lines indicated in APCD are based on the perceived lines of the private properties.

Greens
The accuracy of Google Earth is not good enough to replicate in detail the greens. I have therefore taken the elevations of certain points on the green and made a guess of how they interact. Any accuracy to the real greens will be totally accidental. (I believe that the greens may generate the most commnts.)

Water
The water hazard lines are my guess. (Based on no experience)

Acknowledgements:
Tom Fazio for his wonderful design of Wade Hampton Golf Club.
The Golf Tripper website http://www.golftripper.com/wade-hampton-golf-club/, which gave me my introduction to the course.
McCoist for the majority of textures used.
Daniel for his trees and plants.
Eddie for showing me how to improve the look of the grass cart paths.
The designer(s) who created the tress, plants and houses that I imported, I apologise to all that I didn't record which courses I imported them from.
All members of the Links Corner Forum for their help both directly and indirectly via posts to the forums on this course or general comments.

Last edited by Ian wells on Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:26 am; edited 1 time in total

jackdanielz100

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Wade Hampton Reply with quote

Ian,
I have only played a few holes in practice mode, but I love what I have seen so far. Great visuals & the course seems to play realistically. I am looking forward to playing a few rounds, great job!!

pmgolf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

I've only played a few holes so far, and looked at the greens on most of the rest. I'm troubled by all the difficult pin positions - especially on hole #6 (2nd par 3), I set up tournaments at LSPN and I prefer pins with minimum slope (1" of elevation change in 3' of distance). If the slope shown on the Break Line Indicator goes up much more than 3/4 of the way up on the red, then there is too much slope at that spot. One or two of those on a hole can be dealt with. I consider them wasted positions and look for more reasonable ones, but some people use some of them.

For the most part, there are enough good pins available, but there are also some pretty bad pin positions. Check out #8 on hole 18. Seriously. No one would ever select that pin. Never. It's funny the first time you see it, but take a look and think about it. You don't want to do this really great design and then have your work offset with pins like that one? It is completely unplayable - along with the 0 pin on 18. No matter how great your creation is (and it appears to be quite spectacular), it's playability can be severely limited with just a hole or two that don't have enough playable pin positions.

At a bare minimum, four good pin positions are required on every hole. Six is better. The person setting up the tournament will not want to use pins that are on the bleeding edge of a drop-off, or on the top of an "ant hill" like structure, or on the side of a severe slope - or on a false front of a green (18). Think of what you see on TV. Pro golfers don't have balls rolling back to them from 30 to 60 feet away! False fronts don't have pins set where the down-slope has already begun. Help us enjoy the fruits of your labors. Please.

I'll post a list of the overly difficult pin positions soon. Thank you for the course!

Pete

pete

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Beautiful looking course Ian, well done to you & many thanks
Regards
Pete

mashie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

The course looks stunning, absolutely beautiful and realistic. The attention to detail everywhere is evident. Love the textures and planting. I did notice on the holes where there is mud just past the width of the fairway and rough it is marked as a hazard. Maybe this was intentional but I wouldn't think of it as a hazard with a penalty shot. Also when I hit the mud with a wedge shot it bounced like it hit concrete, not like mud. I would also have to agree with pmgolf about the pins on and near slopes. Without looking too hard I found a few. This really does mar the wonderful course and makes playing using the mod difficult with these pins. Thank you for making the course and sharing with all of us.

Ian wells

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Gentlemen,
Thank you for your comments.

Pete (pmgolf) I am disappointed at the number of bad pins placed as I did take note of your advice posted in an earlier post.(Obviously I haven't been accurate enough.)
I will await your detailed list and update accordingly. I certainly do not want bad pin positions to be the reason nobody plays.

Mashie the mud is soil and therefore should not be a hazard and I will modify this for the final release. As stated above I will wait for pete's detailed comments and adjust.

Ian

WilliamK

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Agree with pmgolf. Need to move some pins.

Noticed some areas in front of the greens are set to tee area.

Don't know if that was intentional or not.
Great course. One that I'll play over and over.

Witch Hollow at Pumpkin Ridge
pmgolf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Working on the pins...

Hole 1 looks fine. Hole 2: Move pins 0,2,3,7, and 13 three-to-four feet toward the middle of the green.

Hole 3: Great looking hole, by the way, but a lot of slope and drop-offs. I did some screen prints and PaintShopPro work.

Here is the first:

The area outlined in red is the area for reasonable pins. Outside it is doubtful except for pin 0. To be inside the area, the bottom of the pin stick needs to be in it. Pins 2,3,12,14,15,16 are in that area. Several others are close and would only need to be moved a little.

Pin 0:

To be able to use pin 0 you would need to move it to where the aiming stick is.

I'm continuing to work but let me know your thoughts, Ian. Thanks!

Pete

pmgolf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Hole 4:

Pins 5,8,3,7 and 0 need to move back to the red line. They are on a slope.

Pin 6:

Move pin 6 to the aiming stick. It is on the edge of a drop off. There needs to be a 3 foot buffer between the pin and the drop off.

Pete

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

When I'm working on pins, I change the green texture to this grid

I then scale it so its at a usable size and create a table in Word so I can note down all the pins and move any that need to be moved.

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Sir Terry Pratchett
guitarget

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Just checked the location of the actual course - this place is way off the beaten path! Thumb Up

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst." - Sam Snead
pmgolf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Stephen Sullivan wrote:
When I'm working on pins, I change the green texture to this grid

GRID

I then scale it so its at a usable size and create a table in Word so I can note down all the pins and move any that need to be moved.

That went right over my head, understanding-wise, Steve! I'm not working inside the APCD. How do you get those numbers into the grid that's on the green?

Pete

ALSO: Here is a file of shots and putts on holes 5 and 6 for Ian so you can see what players are up against and why we're going to all this trouble.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dlndtg6a2zozucg/WadeHampton%20Recorded%20Shots%20Holes%205-6.zip?dl=0

gator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:58 am    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Just finished a very enjoyable round on Wade Hampton. The course is gorgeous, the colors of the trees were outstanding.

I did notice some floating tree foliage from the 2nd and 4th tees:

Also, on the 4th green looking back towards the tee this cutout looks out of place:

Otherwise, great job Ian!

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Pete

I change the green texture to the grid texture, then scale the texture so the numbered grids are about 3-4 foot across. Then I validate and save and load it in Links. I then make a note of each pin and move any that are on too steep a slope. It's very tedious, but I prefer all my pins to be usable not impossible.

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Sir Terry Pratchett
pmgolf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Hole 5 (storms coming in here - thought I better post at least one hole)

Pins 7 and 17 back to red line, Pins 0, 10 and 1 back to their red line, 3, 9 and 14 up, pin 5 back.

Pete

gene_golf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:57 am    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Again the discussion of unfair pin locations. I can only presume that this is slope related and not that a pin sitting close behind a water hazard to shoot over with a long iron or such is not the factor where a designer chose to make that a difficult pin. Just my thought here, but a difficult pin because of slope should be categorized that way by designer and a general thought among players would be that in the harshest of settings might only go as firm/fast ignoring the challenging settings. Those should be applied to the easy or moderate pin locations as designated by the designer to make a round challenging. I remember playing Augusta and one version warned that playing under course designer suggested settings might make for unexpected results. True that as firmness and speed are set to maximum hardness no matter where pin location is on a green.

Ian wells

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

WilliamK
Thank you for the nice comments. The areas before the green should all be fairways. I will check and correct for final release.

pmgolf
Thank you very much for your detailed comments. These are exactly what I need. All your comments will be incorporated in the final release.

Guitarget
It's a lot easier to get to on Links!

Gator
When I play the hole I do not see the floating trees. I play with the settings for Close-up. I have suffered with floating trees because of the limitations of APCD seeing objects at a remote distance. It is extremely difficult to correct as in APCD they are not shown as floating.
It may be better to add a note to the Readme explaing that the course only plays in Close-up mode. On the 4th green I have no idea what that is. I will try and correct it for the final release.

gene_golf
Please let me know of any pin settings that are not correct and I will adjust accordingly.

Thank you all for your comments

Ian

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Hi Ian - congrats on the beta release! I haven't had a chance to check it out yet - unfortunately haven't had much time for anything Links lately...

I did notice this article today about Wade Hampton finishing up a renovation - doesn't sound like much of anything major, the addition of a new back tee on #9 was the only thing I noted that might interest you - but it did have a few photos that you might like seeing.

http://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/wade-hampton-reopens-following-11-month-renovation-project

Thumb Up

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
pmgolf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

Ian, I'll be posting more soon. Finishing up a brief interruption - family obligations.

Pete

Ian wells

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Wade Hampton GC BETA released for comments Reply with quote

John,
I looked at the link but couldn't see anything about a new tee on the 9th? The course is laid out in accordance with the Google Earth image of 3/9/2017, so any re-design over the last 12 months will not be included. I do not intend to change the design for final release until July so if you see any details please let me know. I will check Google Earth before I release the final.

pmgolf
Family is far more important. As stated above I will be updating the course in July, but will be dependent on receiving all of your comments.

Thanks again for the comments.

Ian

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Corner All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  

New to Links? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.