Please support Links Corner    

Golf is an easy game... it's just hard to play. - Anon
Adding "Pro Tip" to a hole preview. View older topic :: View newer topic  
sagevanni

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Adding "Pro Tip" to a hole preview. Reply with quote

How do you do it....?????

Sage..... Naughty

noelk

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Adding "Pro Tip" to a hole preview. Reply with quote

I don't think you can. Back in the old days we were toying with the idea of a flyover of the hole as the pro tip was playing, but as the codes were lost/inaccessible this was impossible

"For where your treasure is, there will be your heart also."

www.linksanimasters.com
sagevanni

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Adding "Pro Tip" to a hole preview. Reply with quote

Thanks Noel........How goes it....??????

Sage....... Smile

Danny D

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Adding "Pro Tip" to a hole preview. Reply with quote

sagevanni wrote:
How do you do it....?????

Sage..... Naughty
Using your graphics program, just add small text to the preview picture so it's readable.

Hope that helped,

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
noelk

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Adding "Pro Tip" to a hole preview. Reply with quote

I don't think Sage meant hole previews. I think he was asking about the pro tips which are audio. They are to be found in a lot of Links 2003 MS courses.

Your courses are looking very good Sage Thumb Up

www.linksanimasters.com
Sparky_69

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Adding "Pro Tip" to a hole preview. Reply with quote

I have a few of the original .tip files that came with the original MS courses, and I've found that if you re-name these files to match the filename of the new, updated versions of these courses, the tip files work with the new course. I've yet to figure out how to create my own audio files to work with an original course, though.

Cheers Cheers

sagevanni

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Adding "Pro Tip" to a hole preview. Reply with quote

Hi Noel.....THANKS.....!!! I think maybe I had my question was a little off. I thought there was a "text" pro tip that was able to be seen along with the actual hole preview that could be read. I thought there is a check box on the hole preview window that could be clicked to read the pro tip.

Sage.......

sagevanni

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Adding "Pro Tip" to a hole preview. Reply with quote

Thanks Sparky.......

Sage

noelk

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Adding "Pro Tip" to a hole preview. Reply with quote

Hi Sage, when you enable hole previews either in game setup or individually as you play, you see whatever the designer has put on the hole preview. Some designers have lots of info, some have very little. I did a lot of them for designers before I got into the animations.There's no extra or hidden info. I'll look for a couple of examples and post them back here: edit - found them

Or I may have misunderstood your question. Got a time lag here and I gather we're about day apart (I am writing this 12:20pm Saturday afternoon). Or did you mean making hole previews from scratch?

www.linksanimasters.com
Ian wells

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Adding "Pro Tip" to a hole preview. Reply with quote

Noel,
Those hole previews are very good and make me feel quite inadequate. I am in the process of making my hole previews for Wade Hampton and my plain and simple efforts pale into insignificance.

Ian

Danny D

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Adding "Pro Tip" to a hole preview. Reply with quote

Ian wells wrote:
Noel,
Those hole previews are very good and make me feel quite inadequate. I am in the process of making my hole previews for Wade Hampton and my plain and simple efforts pale into insignificance.

Ian
I have yet to understand how they get such fine detail work in such a small box without it being pixilated. I've tried to make small text, or dots, or circles, and it always comes out fuzzy and pixilated. Wall Bash

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
noelk

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Adding "Pro Tip" to a hole preview. Reply with quote

Ian, you should have seen my early efforts. If all the course designers compared their work to say Mike Jones or Wayne Hewitt's masterpieces, nobody would make any courses. Just do the best you can with the means at your disposal. Thumb Up Hope I'm not hijacking Sage's thread

Edit: Danny we both posted at the same time. The trick is to make them double the size whilst you are creating them, then reduce them to their actual size when you insert them into the course file. Yes

www.linksanimasters.com
gene_golf

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Adding "Pro Tip" to a hole preview. Reply with quote

noelk wrote:
I don't think you can. Back in the old days we were toying with the idea of a flyover of the hole as the pro tip was playing, but as the codes were lost/inaccessible this was impossible

There was a past post I remember by John Aherne that searched out just now when he was making Hermitage in 2009 where he came up with flyover for hole #10, but does not exist on Youtube anymore.

Then I found out this where John Aherne did this later on.
Ahernejd wrote:
A number years ago i wrote a small app that captured the stills from the game needed for the flybys. At the time it worked quite well given the limitionsns of the game but technology has moved on so much since then. Not sure if i even have it anymore.
J
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4mxwNO5lFQ&list=PLF4F690D0F33AC644&index=7

gene_golf

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Adding "Pro Tip" to a hole preview. Reply with quote

Then again with videos just found by John Aherne there is the issue as noel wrote about how to insert the video just before playing a hole. Maybe it is indeed possible here in links now. I see that Mr. Aherne used this on another course not included here in Links, Killeen Castle, but it looks as if he used this technique for his company golfgraffix. It is a real course, but the objects look as if they are Links made such as the trees along with the consistency of the textures appearance and not done by a drone flying from tee to green on the real course. Looking at hole #12 at Killeen Castle the water in creek appears to be moving, but at a consistent rate---so the issue of moving water looks to have also been solved previously before the newer golf games came out the last few years. I cannot find the old link in search history, but I do believe John Aherne also experimented with showing the effects of having rain falling here in Links.

noelk

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Adding "Pro Tip" to a hole preview. Reply with quote

Correct, John did all that. The problem was though (and has always been) that to insert things such as flyovers or new audio tips etc requires access to the game codes. You could view John's flyovers as stand alone videos, but not during the actual game. I think in the end they all got so frustrated with the limitations that other new games and designing programs were created from scratch. Links was abandoned Sad

www.linksanimasters.com
Danny D

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Adding "Pro Tip" to a hole preview. Reply with quote

noelk wrote:
Ian, you should have seen my early efforts. If all the course designers compared their work to say Mike Jones or Wayne Hewitt's masterpieces, nobody would make any courses. Just do the best you can with the means at your disposal. Thumb Up Hope I'm not hijacking Sage's thread

Edit: Danny we both posted at the same time. The trick is to make them double the size whilst you are creating them, then reduce them to their actual size when you insert them into the course file. Yes
Thanks Noel. I recall someone recently mentioning that to me a while back, but I've not made any new previews yet to find out. I notice when you reduce images in Photoshop that it offers multiple methods of reduction, like bi-cubic and such. Do you happen to know what the best option is to select the sharpest reduction?

Thanks,

Dan

noelk

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Adding "Pro Tip" to a hole preview. Reply with quote

I don't get too technical. I simply create them as .png files in Fireworks, then open them in Photoshop, reduce them and save as .jpegs at maximum resolution - 12. I do that for splash screens and flags(I think flags are .tgas or something). When I was doing the animations I remember the files were saved as 32 bit tgas. That's as technical as I get Geek Laugh

www.linksanimasters.com
sagevanni

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Adding "Pro Tip" to a hole preview. Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info people...!!!!! I think I'll just stick to regular hole previews. The ones Noel has shown are awesome......A lot of time and effort goes into those.

Sage....... Smile

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Talking to a golf ball won't do you any good. Unless you do it while your opponent is teeing off. - Bruce Lansky