Please support Links Corner    

I've spent most of my life golfing... the rest I've just wasted. ~ Anon
Question about Joining Seam Blends Together...Goto page 1, 2  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
Danny D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Question about Joining Seam Blends Together... Reply with quote

Hello group!

I'm addressing this to McCoist, since it's his course, but anyone that can shed some light on this for me is most welcome to answer. I have came across something that is new to me, and would love some clarification.

This question has to do with seam blending. In this screenshot, I am in Links in the PRACTICE mode. I am standing on a single texture of running water and facing the shoreline. In front of me are what looks like 2 different seam blends placed edge to edge. The closest one is a blend from the running water to the rocky shore. The second one is a blend from the rocky shore to the rough. I looked at this closely in the game, and I cannot see any seams or lines where the 2 different seam blends butt against each other. I didn't think this was possible, considering you are joining together a pair of double-textured seam blended textures.

Am I reading this right, and is there a special method to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Ian wells

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Question about Joining Seam Blends Together... Reply with quote

Dan,

I have used the same method on Wade Hampton bunkers. The textures go:

Sand
    Seam blend sand to soil
    Seam blend soil to grass
    Grass

Path and Multiple Mappings are normal.

Hope this helps.

Ian

sagevanni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Question about Joining Seam Blends Together... Reply with quote

Hi Dan, Hi Ian.......I use this method when I want a distinct fringe on a green. It works for any "blended" seam blend side by side.

Thanks......Sage

McCoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Question about Joining Seam Blends Together... Reply with quote

Hey Danny , the creek texture is made with water in the middle and the bank at the sides and this is layed out as you would a path. I then used a bank texture made with the same texture I used to make the creek textures outer edges. I kind of forget as I've not used apcd for a few years. I got the idea from Rick someone that did the xilver courses. I've got the textures somewhere if you want a look at them.

sagevanni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Question about Joining Seam Blends Together... Reply with quote

Hi McCoist.....I'd love to have those textures......!!!!!!!!

McCoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Question about Joining Seam Blends Together... Reply with quote

No worries, I'll search through my computer tomorrow and find them and any other ones that are decent

McCoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Question about Joining Seam Blends Together... Reply with quote

Now I think about it you make the dirt texture 1st and keep that, then put a stream texture over the dirt without touching the dirt so it will blend its self with the dirt texture when you map it correctly.

sagevanni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Question about Joining Seam Blends Together... Reply with quote

Thanks McCoist......appreciate it....!!!!!!

sagevanni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Question about Joining Seam Blends Together... Reply with quote

What do you mean by "then put a stream texture over the dirt without touching the dirt"......?

McCoist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Question about Joining Seam Blends Together... Reply with quote

In Photoshop you need to do it. Make a dirt texture, then keeping that base you make new texture with water over the top of the dirt.

sagevanni

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Question about Joining Seam Blends Together... Reply with quote

Thanks........I'll give it a try......

Sage

Danny D

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:54 am    Post subject: Question about Joining Seam Blends Together... Reply with quote

sagevanni wrote:
Hi McCoist.....I'd love to have those textures......!!!!!!!!
Sage. The course is not locked. You can get the textures straight from the course, if you know how.

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Danny D

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:14 am    Post subject: Question about Joining Seam Blends Together... Reply with quote

McCoist wrote:
Hey Danny , the creek texture is made with water in the middle and the bank at the sides and this is layed out as you would a path. I then used a bank texture made with the same texture I used to make the creek textures outer edges. I kind of forget as I've not used apcd for a few years. I got the idea from Rick someone that did the xilver courses. I've got the textures somewhere if you want a look at them.
Thanks for the reply McCoist. I understand how to create the textures, but what I was trying to understand is how you can place 2 seam blended paths/multiples side by side and make them blend together perfectly at the edges without being able to see the straight line seam dividing the 2 seam blends. I thought at one time I tried to do that, but there was a visible line that didn't match up where they joined.

If I read yours correctly, you had a SB (seam blend) made to go from water to dirt. And then up against it, you had another SB that went from dirt to grass. So it appears that you only applied the dirt within a PATH/MULTIPLE and not by itself. When doing it that way, does it automatically match and line up the dirt textures where they join together side-by-side? Also, wouldn't you have to be careful about how you map those 2 seam blends so you don't end up getting them backwards?

Thanks again for any input, Cheers

Dan

Danny D

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:20 am    Post subject: Question about Joining Seam Blends Together... Reply with quote

Ian wells wrote:
Dan,

I have used the same method on Wade Hampton bunkers. The textures go:

Sand
    Seam blend sand to soil
    Seam blend soil to grass
    Grass

Path and Multiple Mappings are normal.

Hope this helps.

Ian
So the soil textures will match up with this method and not leave a line where the 2 seam blend soils touch?

Thanks for the response Ian, and Cheers

Dan

Ian wells

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Question about Joining Seam Blends Together... Reply with quote

Dan,

I looked again at the course in Links and there is indeed a fine line. To my eyes it looks like a natural break between the sand and the soil lip, but that is only my opinion.

At this stage of the build I will leave it as it is and review it after the comments made during the Beta testing.

Thanks.

Ian

McCoist

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Question about Joining Seam Blends Together... Reply with quote

I think itís just a case of tweaking the mappingís till they match up, I canít remember if maybe there a band of default planar dirt at the side of the path. I keep all my terrain textures default planar and do the scaling in the tga.
Edit
There is no water to dirt seam blend, the water to dirt is in the texture and that texture is path mapped. I would have to look in apcd to remember but I donít have it on my computer any more.
Edit 2 Then the path mapping is put into the multiple

Danny D

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Question about Joining Seam Blends Together... Reply with quote

McCoist wrote:
I think itís just a case of tweaking the mappingís till they match up, I canít remember if maybe there a band of default planar dirt at the side of the path. I keep all my terrain textures default planar and do the scaling in the tga.
Edit
There is no water to dirt seam blend, the water to dirt is in the texture and that texture is path mapped. I would have to look in apcd to remember but I donít have it on my computer any more.
Thanks for the reply and info. I will open your course back up and take a more detailed look at how the mappings are programmed. I may have been looking at path mappings instead of seam blends. I need a closer look. Bottom line is, I loved the way it looked and wanted to find out more about it. Nice job you did on the course. It was a pleasure to play. Thanks again for your time. Cheers

Dan

McCoist

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Question about Joining Seam Blends Together... Reply with quote

I reckon there's still more to squeeze out the old apcd. I had been working on these pot bunkers to try and get a realistic look.

sagevanni

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Question about Joining Seam Blends Together... Reply with quote

Mr. McCoist.......NOW THAT IS SOME NICE WORK...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The most realistic bunker work I have ever seen on here.......BRAVO...!!!!

grandpabruce

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Question about Joining Seam Blends Together... Reply with quote

All I can say is I am amazed at all of the brilliant work you designers do. Thank you.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Golfer (screaming): You've got to be the worst caddy in the world!
Caddy: I doubt it sir. That would be too much of a coincidence!