Please support Links Corner    

My clubs are well used, but unfortunately not used well! - Jack Burrell
slowing as course grows View older topic :: View newer topic  
sagevanni

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: slowing as course grows Reply with quote

Does anyone else have this problem.....Eddies Harbour Town Golf Links HD is 205 megabytes. My current course is 42 megabytes and my APCD as a whole is becoming slow in it's response time. Slow planting verts, slow panning.......slow everything. I'm working with a brand new loaded comp. Does anyone have these issues...????

Captain Nemo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: slowing as course grows Reply with quote

Not APCD relate but you never know? I had a similar problem with several courses when playing a season recently (as I played a course. graphic redraws were getting slower and slower). My problem was old hard drive had less than 20% free space. Removed some little used programs and moved my course copies to my backup drive and I was good to go, but that should not be a problem with a new machine and those terabyte drives.
Sounds like Windows 10 ..... all over again! Puke Puke

How many Microsoft Programmers does it take to replace a light bulb? Just one.
However, you will be installing updates for all eternity!
Ian wells

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:35 am    Post subject: slowing as course grows Reply with quote

Sage,
I use a laptop which is not particularly high spec and have no problems at the 50MB range. My current course is at 130MB and if I have three views open and 2D objects on in each view the laptop struggles.

I have found that opening the course with just the top view is fine. Then I select the area I want to work on and render that selection, then open the three views. So far no problems with crashing.

It is not the ideal way to work on the course, especially when I was stupid enough to incorporate the panorama in my design, but I find it workable.

Hope it can help you.

Ian

MrMoggie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: slowing as course grows Reply with quote

Ian

Apologies if I've misunderstood.

If you have the panorama showing in APCD and it's slowing things down, why can't you simply set the panorama to 'None' in the course properties and remove it?

Steve

Ian wells

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: slowing as course grows Reply with quote

Steve,

If one uses a panorama then it would be better to turn it off ( and the sky) while working on APCD, should you have slow response times.

On Wade Hampton I don't use a panorama. The actual panorama of Wade Hampton was one of the main reasons for starting the course and I didn't believe that I could get a equivalent panorama to the original. Therefore, I am trying to build the local terrain into the course.

After earlier posts regarding a problem I was having, I now know that Daniel would, probably, be able to make one from the photos on the internet. (Knowing the quality of Daniels panoramas it would have been a far better solution.)

Ian

brooks2345

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: slowing as course grows Reply with quote

Hi Sage

It all depends on what you've got in your APCD file when you're working on it. If there's a pano, switch it off. If there's loads of planting, set your display to no 2d objects. That will reduce file size to something manageable.

Cheers

John Brooks

Eddie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: slowing as course grows Reply with quote

Hi, as the course grows APCD will tend to slow down just a little, it's been my experience that 'shapes' is a real resource hog and slows APCD down too much. Here's my usual setup and I'll turn display tools on and off as needed.
I'd recommend designing with this.

Another tool I use if I need to see shapes but don't need to see the whole course is 'box select' and 'render selection'

I hope it helps someone, Have fun!

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them. - Harry Tofcano