Please support Links Corner    

I'll always remember the day I broke ninety. I had a few beers in the clubhouse and was so excited I forgot to play the back nine. -Bruce Lansky
Old Course Conversion IssueGoto page 1, 2  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
aussiedave187

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Old Course Conversion Issue Reply with quote

Having just reinstalled Links after many many years of being in the wind i'm just curious to know why i cant convert a bunch of the courses that are on the original Links 2003 installation CD (Disk 2) they are CVT files which for the life of me back in the day i do remember converting them to the right format, i tried the course converter but they do not recognize these files even though the converter you apparently need is also on the original disk, so basically my question is are these files dead and useless and unable to be converted, any help is appreciated other than that the game is still as good as it was back in the day Clap

loner
Links Corner Admin
Links Corner Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Old Course Conversion Issue Reply with quote

This should help.

https://www.linkscountryclub.com/links-course-converter

aussiedave187

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Old Course Conversion Issue Reply with quote

i will give that a crack but i'm pretty sure that's exactly what i did when trying to convert the first time, thanks for the advice will update this shortly to let ya know if it worked or not :)

aussiedave187

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Old Course Conversion Issue Reply with quote

Yeah nothing changed whenever i try to direct the converter to pick up the CVT files it don't show anything seems as though it's only able to detect CRX files, I've tried everything possible i'm assuming there is no other solutions & from what i can gather all those files i'm trying to convert are the VGA Tour courses & LS courses i need to play in the season i am just starting, if nothing else can be done about these files can i buy the courses anywhere as a pack..

For some reason it wont even start the decompress part of the deal & i'm stumped to why...

gowoods

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Old Course Conversion Issue Reply with quote

Here you go - very good deals on all courses & course packs.

https://www.linkscountryclub.com/proshop

loner
Links Corner Admin
Links Corner Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Old Course Conversion Issue Reply with quote

I'm surprised that the;

How to Convert using the Full Installer

Section didn't work. It's been many years that I've used a course converter...sorry.
I'm sure someone else will know how.

aussiedave187

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Old Course Conversion Issue Reply with quote

Yeah same here i'm surprised myself, guess I'll just set up a season with what i already have, got over 1750 courses on CD's from back in the day aint gonna worry about the 20 odd courses i need, maybe someone will know why the conversion aint working sometime, cheers for the help anyway blokes....

Andy
Links Corner Admin
Links Corner Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Old Course Conversion Issue Reply with quote

As I understand it, the .CVT files are used by the program CRX2CRZ which is also on Disc 2.

However, you need to have the correct .crx files for each course before you can attempt the conversion.

aussiedave187

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Old Course Conversion Issue Reply with quote

the correct crx files i don't understand what you mean by that, if the files that i got off disk 2 are CVT's how am i supposed to have the crx files just out of curiosity....

gator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Old Course Conversion Issue Reply with quote

You would have had to collected/acquired the courses from a previous version of Links in crx format and have them on your hard drive. The converter would look for each crx file then use the cvt file to convert the crx into a crz. It was not intended to “give you” courses that you didn’t previously own.

PinHi1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Old Course Conversion Issue Reply with quote

This is what I have from a read me file if any help to you.

A) Introduction to the Links 2001 Course Converter

The Links 2001 Course converter converts Links LS courses that you already own to the Links 2001 data format (*.CRZ).
You must have an original Links LS (97-2000) course file (*.CRX) to convert it to the Links 2001 format.
You can convert course files from your original Links LS disks if you do not have Links LS installed on your hard drive.
You can download conversion packs for individual courses, or the allcours.exe which contains conversion info for over 35 Links LS course files.

B) How to use the Links 2001 Course Converter.

Course conversion requires that the CVT files are located in the same directory as the converter EXE file (crx2crz.exe)

1. Run crx2crz.exe.

The first time Converter runs, it checks the registry for LS 2000 and/or LS 1999.
If it finds an installed version of Links LS, that will be the default path for course conversion and it will appear in the FROM... button dialog.

2. Click FROM... to browse for CRX files.
You can convert multiple courses if the CRX files are in the same directory by holding CTRL and clicking the courses you wish to convert.

3. Click TO... the default setting is the Links 2001 setup path.
You can change the destination for converted files if you installed Links 2001 in a different directory.

4. Click Convert.

Once the file is converted, it will be available for play in Links 2001.
You can convert multiple courses if the CRX files are in the same directory by holding CTRL and clicking the courses you wish to convert.
Converted courses range in size from 2.5 to 40 MB each. During course conversion you also need an additional 20 MB of free space on your hard disk for temporary files.

C) Converting course files from CD

If you don't have the previous versions of links LS installed on your computer, you can convert the CRX files from an original CD.

1. Click FROM... to browse for CRX files.

All *.crx (course) files are stored in separate directories on disk #2 of each version of Links LS.
Course libraries or ten packs also store each course in separate directories.

2. Verify that the TO... path will place your converted course into your Links 2001 directory.

3. Click CONVERT.

D) Known Issues

Environmental sounds from CRX files are not converted.

Pro Tips (where available) are not converted.

Top view objects can appear blurry and oversized.

Panorama seam overlap. This issue will be addressed in a Links 2001 update version due later this year.

E) Course files converted by this package.

File Name: Course Name:

Banff_sp.crx Banff Springs
Abanff_s.crx Banff Springs (LS)
Abarton_.crx Barton Creek - Fazio (LS)
Barton_c.crx Barton Creek-Fazio
Bay_hill.crx Bay Hill Club and Lodge
Vgabay_h.crx Bay Hill Club and Lodge (VGA Tour)
Bighorn_.crx Bighorn Golf Club
Abighorn.crx Bighorn Golf Club (LS)
MSbighor.crx Bighorn Golf Club (MSGolf)
Cbountif.crx Bountiful (2000)
Abountif.crx Bountiful (LS)
Bountifu.crx Bountiful Golf Club
MSbounti.crx Bountiful (MSGolf)
Castle_p.crx Castle Pines Golf Club
Ccastle_.crx Castle Pines Golf Club (2000)
Acastle_.crx Castle Pines Golf Club (LS)
Cog_hill.crx Cog Hill - Dubsdread
Acog_hil.crx Cog Hill - Dubsdread (LS)
Vgacog_h.crx Cog Hill - Dubsdread (VGA Tour)
Congress.crx Congressional Country Club
Bcongres.crx Congressional Country Club '99
Covered_.crx Covered Bridge Golf Club
Devils_i.crx Devils Island
Adevils_.crx Devils Island (LS)
Adorado_.crx Dorado Beach - East Course (LS)
Entrada_.crx Entrada at Snow Canyon
Centrada.crx Entrada at Snow Canyon (2000)
MSentrad.crx Entrada at Snow Canyon (MSGolf)
Cfiresto.crx Firestone C.C. - South Course (2000)
Afiresto.crx Firestone C.C. - South Course (LS)
Vgafires.crx Firestone C.C.-South Course (VGA Tour)
Fireston.crx Firestone Country Club-South Course
hapuna_g.crx Hapuna Golf Course
Harbour_.crx Harbour Town
Aharbour.crx Harbour Town (LS)
Vgaharbo.crx Harbour Town (VGA Tour)
Innisbro.crx Innisbrook - Copperhead
Ainnisbr.crx Innisbrook Copperhead (LS)
Kapa_bay.crx Kapalua Bay
Plantati.crx Kapalua Plantation
Cplantat.crx Kapalua Plantation (2000)
MSplanta.crx Kapalua Plantation (MSGolf)
Village_.crx Kapalua Village
Cvillage.crx Kapalua Village (2000)
Latrobe_.crx Latrobe Country Club
Lat_fall.crx Latrobe Country Club - Fall
Clat_fal.crx Latrobe Country Club - Fall (2000)
Lat_summ.crx Latrobe Country Club - Summer
Clat_sum.crx Latrobe Country Club - Summer (2000)
Mauna_ke.crx Mauna Kea
Amauna_k.crx Mauna Kea (LS)
bmauna_k.crx Mauna Kea Resort
MSmauna_.crx Mauna Kea Resort (MSGolf)
Oakland_.crx Oakland Hills Country Club
Pebble_b.crx Pebble Beach Golf Links
Apebble_.crx Pebble Beach Golf Links (LS)
Pelican_.crx Pelican Hill Golf Club
Phoenix_.crx Phoenix Country Club
Aphoenix.crx Phoenix Country Club (LS)
Pinehurs.crx Pinehurst Country Club-2
Apinehur.crx Pinehurst Country Club-2 (LS)
Pinehur2.crx Pinehurst No. 2
Cpinehu2.crx Pinehurst No. 2 (2000)
Apinehu2.crx Pinehurst No. 2 (LS)
Pinehur8.crx Pinehurst No. 8
Apinehu8.crx Pinehurst No. 8 (LS)
Prairie_.crx Prairie Dunes C.C.
Aprairie.crx Prairie Dunes Country Club (LS)
Riviera_.crx Riviera Country Club
Ariviera.crx Riviera Country Club (LS)
Sea_isla.crx Sea Island Golf Club
Csea_isl.crx Sea Island Golf Club (2000)
MSsea_is.crx Sea Island Golf Club (MSGolf)
The_belf.crx The Belfry
Athe_bel.crx The Belfry (LS)
Cthree_c.crx Three Canyons (2000)
MSthree_.crx Three Canyons (MSGolf)
Atorrey_.crx Torrey Pines - South Course (LS)
Troon_no.crx Troon North
Atroon_n.crx Troon North (LS)
Valderra.crx Valderrama Golf Club
Valhalla.crx Valhalla Golf Club

Hope this helps.

aussiedave187

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:34 am    Post subject: Old Course Conversion Issue Reply with quote

Definatley helped a heap there PinHi1, With that course list you gave me i was able to go through my folder and realize i already have 98% of them already converted to CRZ, The ones I'm missing are:

Wouldn't be bad to find these 4 somehow (cause i must have had them at sometime) and that'd complete my collection of all p2p and proper MS courses the game has ever released, Once again thanks bud really appreciated...

Danny D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:14 am    Post subject: Old Course Conversion Issue Reply with quote

aussiedave187 wrote:
Definatley helped a heap there PinHi1, With that course list you gave me i was able to go through my folder and realize i already have 98% of them already converted to CRZ, The ones I'm missing are:

Wouldn't be bad to find these 4 somehow (cause i must have had them at sometime) and that'd complete my collection of all p2p and proper MS courses the game has ever released, Once again thanks bud really appreciated...
"Ever" released? Wow! Do you have the floppy disk version of Pebble Beach?

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
aussiedave187

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Old Course Conversion Issue Reply with quote

Danny D wrote:
aussiedave187 wrote:

"Ever" released? Wow! Do you have the floppy disk version of Pebble Beach?

Dan

Probably should have said almost everything haha, i didn't even know links existed back when floppy's were around, but tbh i don't really know if i have it or not there were a group of us that collected everything back when 2001 first came out up until about 09-10 when we all moved on and stopped playing, i do have 7different versions of pebble though, i wouldn't know whats what tbh..

Max64

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Old Course Conversion Issue Reply with quote

aussiedave187 wrote:

Ok, most of the talk here is of the 2003 game and 2003 courses but this thread is in my language! (The old courses!) haha

Those 4 cannot be converted. Any courses made for MS Golf work in MS Golf and MS Golf only. Not compatible with ANY version of the Links game.
Edit: The list from the converter appears incorrect. Some of those courses are not Links courses and cannot be converted to the best of my knowledge. I am quite certain I am correct and the list is wrong. You could not have converted any of the MS Golf courses. You likely converted the Links versions of those courses. Check the file names.

PinHi1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Old Course Conversion Issue Reply with quote

Glad this helped - not my thoughts as it was a read me file I had in my 2001 Links info file. Looks like it was an original file from Microsoft as the top part of the read me file I had left out on my first post is posted here below - the rest is what I posted in my first post

Links 2001 Course Converter
Readme
January 31,2001
© Microsoft Corporation, 2000-2001. All rights reserved.

A) Introduction to the Links 2001 Course Converter
B) How to use the Links 2001 Course converter
C) Converting course files from CD
D) Known Issues
E) Course files converted by this package

aussiedave187

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Old Course Conversion Issue Reply with quote

Max64 wrote:
aussiedave187 wrote:

Ok, most of the talk here is of the 2003 game and 2003 courses but this thread is in my language! (The old courses!) haha

Those 4 cannot be converted. Any courses made for MS Golf work in MS Golf and MS Golf only. Not compatible with ANY version of the Links game.
Edit: The list from the converter appears incorrect. Some of those courses are not Links courses and cannot be converted to the best of my knowledge. I am quite certain I am correct and the list is wrong. You could not have converted any of the MS Golf courses. You likely converted the Links versions of those courses. Check the file names.

Not too sure on what i converted in regards to if they were links version or actual MS versions, however when i do load them they work & beside each course it has in Brackets (MSGolf), the file names are as follows MSBIGHOR.CRZ - MSENTRAD.CRZ - MSMAUNA_.CRZ - MSTHREE_.CRZ i honestly see no reason why those 4 cant be converted cause they are the exact same, need to find someone who has every links course which would probably be too hard tbh, i'm not stressed if i never find em i have multiple versions of each course but you guys in the thread have been helpful as :)

Max64

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Old Course Conversion Issue Reply with quote

aussiedave187 wrote:

Not too sure on what i converted in regards to if they were links version or actual MS versions, however when i do load them they work & beside each course it has in Brackets (MSGolf), the file names are as follows MSBIGHOR.CRZ - MSENTRAD.CRZ - MSMAUNA_.CRZ - MSTHREE_.CRZ i honestly see no reason why those 4 cant be converted cause they are the exact same, need to find someone who has every links course which would probably be too hard tbh, i'm not stressed if i never find em i have multiple versions of each course but you guys in the thread have been helpful as :)

Looking at those courses named (MS Golf) again after your post they are not from the actual Microsoft Golf series of games. I'd have to check my drives to see if I can find out exactly what they are and where they are from.

gator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Old Course Conversion Issue Reply with quote

I have in my collection 7 courses that show MSGolf in their name - in both crx and crz format:

msBighor.crx/crz
msBounti.crx/crz
msEntrad.crx/crz
msPlanta.crx/crz
msMauna_.crx/crz
msSea_Is.crx/crz
msThree_.crx/crz

It is my recollection that the crx versions were from the Links LS series as that is the series that used the crx extension. It is also my recollection that there were 3 versions of MS Golf. Version 1 (which I have somewhere on 3.5" floppy) was compatible with crs courses, version 2 (which I have somewhere on CD) was compatible with crh courses, and version 3 (which I never purchased) was a completely different game engine and course structure. Version 3 never caught on as Links had (and still has) the best game engine. MS dropped the developement of version 3 of MS Golf and purchased Access software and with it the Links universe. Now I am getting a little older and my memory may be a little off, so...

Update: I just dug out the Microsoft Golf 2.0 CD and popped in my drive. In the courses directory (folder for some of you) are FIRESTON.CRH and TORREY_P.CRH.

Max64

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: Old Course Conversion Issue Reply with quote

gator wrote:

It is my recollection that the crx versions were from the Links LS series as that is the series that used the crx extension. It is also my recollection that there were 3 versions of MS Golf. Version 1 (which I have somewhere on 3.5" floppy) was compatible with crs courses, version 2 (which I have somewhere on CD) was compatible with crh courses, and version 3 (which I never purchased) was a completely different game engine and course structure. Version 3 never caught on as Links had (and still has) the best game engine. MS dropped the developement of version 3 of MS Golf and purchased Access software and with it the Links universe. Now I am getting a little older and my memory may be a little off, so...

Update: I just dug out the Microsoft Golf 2.0 CD and popped in my drive. In the courses directory (folder for some of you) are FIRESTON.CRH and TORREY_P.CRH.

I can't access my drive at the moment to check but those courses must be from the original MS Golf. There was a MS Golf 2 and 3 as you suggested. There was also a 98 and 99. I'm not sure if 98 was the same as MS Golf 3 but 99 was the last in the series and it didn't have any of the Links courses at all. There were 7 courses for 99. I currently have 99 installed.

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Want to play Links again but lost your CDs? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.