Please support Links Corner    

Your best shots in golf are your practice swing and the conceded putts. You'll never master the rest! - Lord Robertson
Greenbrier TPC Ol' White View older topic :: View newer topic  
milwsteve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Greenbrier TPC Ol' White Reply with quote

I would love to see this course in the game it is where the Greenbrier Classic is played in White Sulphur Springs,West Virginia just a wonderful course.

brooks2345

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Greenbrier TPC Ol' White Reply with quote

It's on my "to do" list. But it won't happen quickly. There are a few others in front of it.

Cheers

John Brooks

rwmills

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Greenbrier TPC Ol' White Reply with quote

John nice to see a rendition of this course out at long last, apparently you were quicker than you expected in getting one out. Just played 7 or 8 holes.... every single tree contact was a solid one, a "steel one" as referred to here by the "insiders" (those that went in and never did return).

Great Visual, pins look wildly, precariously positioned in several of the random samples played at this point. The greens there, also wildly undulating I guess.

Don't know much about the course IRL, so I would be easy to fool Laugh anyway. Just passin' some ideas through the trees to you today for feedback. I am a par 70 course fan in general, and this one with its tree density and greens, bunkers, looks to be a great challenge.

Richard

‎"A single insight is worth a thousand verbs" - R. Mills
brooks2345

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Greenbrier TPC Ol' White Reply with quote

Thanks for your constructive comments Richard.

Am a bit bewildered as I've just looked at my file here and all trees are set to "all pass through" "low density" and "less dampening" - of course, you're not really supposed to go near the trees!

As for the pins, they're meant to be set on slopes to make putting difficult.

However, I'll go back and take another look............maybe my APCD has gotten corrupted - wouldn't be the first time!

Cheers and thanks again

John Brooks

pmgolf

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Greenbrier TPC Ol' White Reply with quote

brooks2345 wrote:
As for the pins, they're meant to be set on slopes to make putting difficult.
John Brooks

The question I have is: How much slope are you talking about? I researched it and found this:

"John Sanford, president of the American Society of Golf Course Architects, says he has a rule of thumb for establishing pinnable positions on about 75 percent of the surface of the greens that he designs. “You can’t have a hole positioned anywhere where the slope is more than 3 percent,” he said. “Otherwise, you might just miss the hole, and now you’re 10 feet by, coming back. That’s not fair.”"

But what is 3%? A length of 12 feet times 12 inches equals 144 inches, times 3 percent equals a slope of 4.32 inches over the entire 12 foot length. Break that into 3 foot lengths equals 1.08 inches of elevation change.

12 * 12 = 144 * .03 = 4.32 / 4 = 1.08 in.

So the 3 percent slope John Sanford is talking about is approximately 1 inch of elevation change between the hole and any spot 3 feet away from the hole. Even at Fc Fc, the ball would not roll back to you when putting up that slope. That's a far cry from the slope I see on some pin settings used in Links!

Pete

rwmills

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Greenbrier TPC Ol' White Reply with quote

Thanks Pete for putting my thoughts too into technical terms.

Presuming the slopes are Stracka accurate or thereabouts, i.e. reflecting the real course itself.

A few I've seen in my admittedly, only single front 9 pass through, had me chuckling. A bit of sulfur coming up through the vents as well here and there, Kilauea- style. Some just aren't playable.

As for tree density, I quit after 8 holes and actually took it off the computer, for now, as a result of that kind of foliage frustration, which has arisen on other beta custom courses now and again too.

It's a work in progress John and a work, a course we all are happy to see available. All of the above just positive feedback to further its evolution.

Play Onward and for Pete's sake......Play Well!

RW

‎"A single insight is worth a thousand verbs" - R. Mills
gene_golf

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Greenbrier TPC Ol' White Reply with quote

Following what rwmills just wrote, I would add a post that I did previously about where John Brooks mentioned elevations when he did the Austin course.

brooks2345 wrote:
When I did Austin Country Club (your map), all I did was just go over each hole on Google Earth and this gave the exact footage at any spot. Ditto for planting. Depends on the actual volume of info you're using.
Cheers
John Brooks

Would this include the exact elevations of greens as using Strakaline does?

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Golfer: That can't be my ball, caddy. It looks far too old. Caddy: It's a long time since we started, sir.