Please support Links Corner    

Want to play Links again but lost your CDs? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.
3D house set View older topic :: View newer topic  
sagevanni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: 3D house set Reply with quote

For the life of me I can not remember who recently posted some info on making and importing 3D objects. He is my thought.......Wouldn't it be nice to have a nice set of 3D houses to import into APCD...??? I know there is someone out there in Links/APCD land who can do this.

Any thoughts.....?????

Sage

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: 3D house set Reply with quote

There are only the 3D buildings that come with APCD that came with 2003 or that can be library merged from the original APCD.

Otherwise they need to be built on the plot.

Or that s my understanding of it anyway. I could be wrong Whistle

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Sir Terry Pratchett
sagevanni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: 3D house set Reply with quote

http://linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34122&highlight=import

I checked this out but I do not have the software........

sagevanni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: 3D house set Reply with quote

I'm doing a course now that has about 100 houses in a track.......would love to just import them and plop them in place.

Sage

crjones

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: 3D house set Reply with quote

You have to create the houses in a compatible version of 3DSMax. And you need to find an older version, released around the same time as Andrew Jones released his 3D import workaround. I've tried the newer version of 3DSMax and it doesn't work.

There's no other way. Hundreds of them? Sheesh Sage...the program doesn't come with existing objects. Whether you build them from terrain in the APCD or you build them in 3DSMax, you still have to build them either way.

And the newer version of 3DS Max, from memory, costs about $7,000 US.

sagevanni

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: 3D house set Reply with quote

Mr. Jones.....I decided for now to use 2003 stock houses. They look ok but there are only 4-5 of them. I will never understand why Microsoft Links design team never made more 3D objects. It could not have been that hard to include as many 3D objects as they did with 2D objects.

Sage Chair

Danny D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: How were these 3D houses added to the course? Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how these 3D houses were added to the course?

I have mentioned this in the past. I just ran across it now for a second time.

For those interested in adding houses to a course. Download Huntingdale Golf Club and start a practice session in Links. Take a drop onto the highway on the far side of the course. Across the highway from the course is a row of 3D houses that travel the length of the course. These are simple house structures that look like that have been painted and dropped onto the course. Some of them are hovering a bit. To create these 3D structures you need to apply all of the textures to each one. These donít look like they have textures applied. They look painted. The odd part is there are no TOP views of the buildings in Links. If they were created off plot and moved into place with roofing textures, they would be visible in the top view. Plus, using that many different textures in the course would make for a huge CRZ file. I know that from experience from adding 14 different house and buildings to my first course.

The course was created by Jason Thorpe. Does anyone here happen to know Jason, and could you ask him how he put all of those 3D buildings on the plot? This has me puzzled.

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
noelk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: 3D house set Reply with quote

Send him a PM. I think his username here is jasonanne

"For where your treasure is, there will be your heart also."

www.linksanimasters.com
Danny D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: 3D house set Reply with quote

noelk wrote:
Send him a PM. I think his username here is jasonanne

Thanks for the name Noel. I just sent him a PM! Thumb Up

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Duck Hook

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject: 3D house set Reply with quote

They are 3D objects that came with the links 2001 apcd. I don't know whether you will need to do a full blown library merge to be able to use them ( I did ) or if there is another way just to extract those. I'm sure Lez has covered this in his videos somewhere.

Danny D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: 3D house set Reply with quote

Duck Hook wrote:
They are 3D objects that came with the links 2001 apcd.
Thumb Up Gotcha Duck Hook! I finally got the time today to get involved with doing a library merge, and it looks like I may be able to get by with using those 3D houses for where I need them on my course. I also found the chain link fence I needed for the tennis courts.

Thanks for the tip. Very much appreciated. Cheers

Dan

Duck Hook

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: 3D house set Reply with quote

Danny D wrote:
Duck Hook wrote:
They are 3D objects that came with the links 2001 apcd.
Thumb Up Gotcha Duck Hook! I finally got the time today to get involved with doing a library merge, and it looks like I may be able to get by with using those 3D houses for where I need them on my course. I also found the chain link fence I needed for the tennis courts.

Thanks for the tip. Very much appreciated. Cheers

Dan

No worries Dan.

Just be careful as people have been known to have issues after doing a library merge.

I've had no problems, touch wood, but a lot have apparently.

Cheers
Todd
Thumb Up

Should've mentioned this also,but if you haven't finished your 2d planting it may have to be all redone due to the new object designations.

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

An interesting thing about golf is that no matter how badly you play; it is always possible to get worse. - Anon