Please support Links Corner    

Real golfers don't cry when they line up their fourth putt. - Anon
APCD view compared to Links viewGoto page 1, 2  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
Ian wells

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: APCD view compared to Links view Reply with quote

Can anybody explain what I am doing wrong?

The first screenshot is a view from the perspective window in APCD and the second is a screen shot taken from Links from the same location. How can the views be different? (The view from Links is with the Close-up mode for the golfer, but the rocky face on the mountain does not show with the Normal or Panoramic mode selected. Is there another mode?)

APCD

Links

Obviously I would like the view in APCD to be replicated in Links as the rocky face is an integral part of the course.

Any ideas?

Ian

Daniel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: APCD view compared to Links view Reply with quote

Hi there Ian you cannot fit the panoramas in the APCD to where you want them. It must be done by using a program like Photoshop and moving the Panorama around left or right up or down. Then you have to test the Panorama by putting it in the course file and then run the game to view if it is in the right place. If it is not has you want it you have to do the process over and over again till you get it as you want it. This is why I ask designers to send me their course file so I can fit it exactly as they want it.Hope this explains how Panoramas work.

Ian wells

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: APCD view compared to Links view Reply with quote

Daniel,
Thanks for the reply.

There is no panorama - other than the sky.

All the terrain that you see is part of the course with related elevations. One of the reasons I started this course was that the panorama impressed me so much and I wanted to replicate it as close as possible. (One of the many reasons why it has taken so long to get to this stage.)

The panoramas that you make available to the designers are amazing and help to make those courses come alive. (I am using some of your vegetation on Wade Hampton).

Ian

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: APCD view compared to Links view Reply with quote

Is it in perspective cam? Or have you tried it in Game Cam in APCD?

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Sir Terry Pratchett
Daniel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: APCD view compared to Links view Reply with quote

I know very little about designing courses Ian so I am at a loss as to what is happening,sorry I could not help you.

Ian wells

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: APCD view compared to Links view Reply with quote

Thank you Daniel.

Stephen, the view posted was in the perspective window. I never use Game Cam but I have just looked at the view in APCD and that view is exactly as the view in Links. It seems that Links does not show terrain beyond a certain distance - the rack faces are approx 1420 yards from the 10th Tee.

I have checked other holes that have views of theses faces and the only Game Can that represents the same view as the perspective view is less than 700 yards.

As stated in my original post the panorama was a major attraction to me starting this course, and now it seems I can't produce the same panorama. This is a major blow.

Now I know why the Game Cam was included Wall Bash

Ian

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: APCD view compared to Links view Reply with quote

How far away from the tee is the rock face? I think there is some threshold distance for rendering terrain in Links that may be different (shorter) than in APCD.

I do know there is a threshold distance beyond which objects will not be rendered in Links regardless of size - I think it is something like 1000 yds. I remember Dominique Bois trying to work around that issue when he was doing Royal Dornoch. I checked the zip file for Dornoch and he included a "Design Comments" html file -- his comments appear to confirm this for both terrain and objects.

"Dornoch is very special in the fact that it is a wide open course, certainly one of the more open that you can see in the world. When you are on the 18h tee, a full rotation make you see almost each hole except the 8th hidden behind its great slope. No way to cheat, but it is a tremendous challenge to take benefit of the full landscape design of Links2003. It sure was pushed to its limits, as the distances a too long for the game engine. In fact the game does not show anymore terrain at more than 1400 yards. Itís a long distance, but at Dornoch itís easily reached. To take an example, looking from the 18th tee, the slope over the 11th fairway disappears at its middle. So, I had to cheat still, and I made that with the course panorama. If you pay attention, youíll see in the game that, from that same point, at the middle of the slope, the image continues with the panorama. I had to work a little on this cheat but not that big, and the result is really one of my big satisfactions on that design. Distance comes into play while showing the objects too. The limit is shorter than for the terrain, but then again, I cheated by making textures that looks quite like the objects form far. You can see that on every gorse slope seen from far away and also on the dunes where I used the same trick."

I have some pretty long views along the beach on my course. I checked using the aiming marker in Links - I can see terrain about 1300 yds away.
The distance marker will display yardage for terrain about 1800 yds away - but the terrain isn't visible.

In Links, can you use the aiming marker to tell that the rock is there? if you start "walking" from the tee toward the rock in practice mode, does it eventually render? If so, at what distance?

edit: looks like our replies crossed. Sounds like you stumbled across the distance threshold issue yourself...

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
Ian wells

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: APCD view compared to Links view Reply with quote

John,

After "walking" around the course and using the Game Cam I have determined that the maximum distance that allows terrain details to be shown at an elevation of Ī1000 feet is Ī1000 yards.

I can't see any way to workaround this problem.

Perhaps I will just have to travel to the course and take a panorama photo and then ask Daniel to work his magic. Thumb Up

Thanks for your help.

Ian

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: APCD view compared to Links view Reply with quote

Ian

Could you do something from the 3D view available in Google Maps

[/img]

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Sir Terry Pratchett
Ian wells

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: APCD view compared to Links view Reply with quote

Stephen,

I don't know.

I have just looked at Google Earth ground vew and although Google Earth is a wonderful tool to help in course design, I don't think the quality of the ground level view is sufficient to make a panorama - certainly not to the standards we are used to.

Thanks for your help.

Ian

Daniel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: APCD view compared to Links view Reply with quote

Is this the view you need Ian Looks like there could be a Panorama made somewhere in the photos I have of Wade Hampton.What hole is that view from if you do not mind me asking.

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: APCD view compared to Links view Reply with quote

From a quick Google search that is the 17th

Daniel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: APCD view compared to Links view Reply with quote

What hole is that in the first picture Ian posted

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: APCD view compared to Links view Reply with quote

I believe it's the 10th

Daniel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: APCD view compared to Links view Reply with quote

Thank you Stephen

Ian wells

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: APCD view compared to Links view Reply with quote

Daniel,
Stephen is correct. The first view was 10th and the photo you posted is the 17th. The 13th hole also runs along the side rock faces, but they are close enough so that they show as built in APCD. So the 13th is not a problem.

Any suggestions will be gratefully welcomed - a Wade Hampton panorama photo by chance?

Stephen,
Do you feel that the quality is good enough? I must admit that the view you show is very nice. One problem is certainly that the course has two parts, the first 5 holes are separate from the following 13 holes. I donít know how this could be incorporated in a single panorama, but that may be my ignorance showing.

Thanks again guys.

Ian

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: APCD view compared to Links view Reply with quote

Ian

Not sure about the quality.I just took a screenshot then reduced the size for posting on here It was just something I found by using the 3D option on the Maps part of Google.

Daniel may know better.

Daniel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: APCD view compared to Links view Reply with quote

Ian for me to do a panorama and fit it to your course I would need a copy of your course file to work with.

Acrilix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: APCD view compared to Links view Reply with quote

Ian, do you have your graphics slider set to the highest setting in Links 2003? If not, the game will reduce the draw distance. I remember having this problem on my first course.

Mod 1.07 - Pro powerstroke - No top cam - No grid
APCD Designer - Margaret's Bay, Ackerton Cross, The Dustin Trophy Par 3 Challenge, Battley Peak, Anakena Beach, Mowsbury GC, Darwin Point, Elsham Woods,
Yarlswood Golf Club, Fairview GC, Upham Hall Golf Club, Masson Moor, Zeitsbergen
Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: APCD view compared to Links view Reply with quote

This is the view from the 10th tee in Links with the graphics slider all the way right. I also tried with it all the way to the left. It was still visible.
I was also able to click on the rocks at a distance of 1300 yards.

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Golfer: I've played so poorly all day; I think I'm going to go drown myself in that lake.
Caddy: I doubt you could keep your head down that long.