Please support Links Corner    

Hit 'em hard. They'll land somewhere. - Stewart Maiden
Desert properties View older topic :: View newer topic  
Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Desert properties Reply with quote

I'm thinking about doing a fictional Middle East desert course (mainly because most of the real ones seem to be built with lots of housing running through them.)

Just wondering what people's opinions were on the property setting for the surrounding desert.

Could it as dirt so you can play a normal shot or sand so you have to play a bunker style shot.

There is also the option to make it out of bounds, but that could be tiresome for the less accurate players amongst us Surrender

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Sir Terry Pratchett
Bluenoser

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Desert properties Reply with quote

Well, just my opinion but if it looks like sand and is sand it should play like sand.

One of the problems I often run into is texture properties not being properly assigned. I've played courses where your ball is clearly lying in the fwy, yet the indicator will say rough, or 1st cut. Then to compound the problem, the actual property is different than what it's named. So when you play your shot you're never sure how the ball will react.

I really appreciate the work that designers do, and I have no idea what's involved in the entire process ( I have watched all of Les's videos) but it seems to me that a texture can have a name and a property, and quite often the settings differ. Something says ruff, looks like fwy, and plays like dirt.

So please, whatever you name it, make sure the properties and appearance match.

Thank you.

Links - It's not about winning, it's about having fun!
Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Desert properties Reply with quote

That can happen if one of the blend properties has not been assigned correctly. In fact APCD sometimes has a habit of messing it up without you knowing.

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Sir Terry Pratchett
mashie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Desert properties Reply with quote

I agree, if it's sand, then it should play as sand. One thing you could do is have the first area outside of the rough play as dirt and then farther out for really off line shots play as sand. Would probably be more work but this might be a compromise.

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Desert properties Reply with quote

mashie wrote:
One thing you could do is have the first area outside of the rough play as dirt and then farther out for really off line shots play as sand. Would probably be more work but this might be a compromise.

That's a good thought Thumb Up

gene_golf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Desert properties Reply with quote

Another thought would be to have desert sand areas play as if were hitting from a plugged lie making it more unpredictable in how to hit shot from such an area.

crjones

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Desert properties Reply with quote

I agree with the general consensus here Stephen that a desert course's sand should definitely play as "Sand" not dirt. Its one of those aspects that makes a desert course, particularly one in the middle east, so unique to play.

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Desert properties Reply with quote

I've found a few photos of the course I am roughly going to base it on https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dirab+golf+course&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiciMHe4LLZAhUMa8AKHcO4C5gQ_AUICygC&biw=1186&bih=812#imgrc=_
and some of the "desert" areas look quite firm and stony, so I may go with something like mashie suggested.

It's not going to be a real rendition, just something to represent the region that doesn't appear to have all the housing so many of the real courses have Wall Bash

crjones

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Desert properties Reply with quote

Looks like you will need a “firm sand” texture and a “soft sand” texture! Good luck Stephen. There’s something so different about desert courses and that stark contrast between grass and sand always seem to work well in the APCD.

crjones

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Desert properties Reply with quote

In that set of textures that Lez kindly left for us I think there are some “rocky sandy” stuff that might be of interest - if you haven’t got that sorted as yet.

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Desert properties Reply with quote

I have lots of textures stored away from various courses, including those from Lez. I will just use the standard textures until I have the holes in and basic elevations.

Gtown75

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Desert properties Reply with quote

I just played 'The Horizon Club' and the pano is perfectly suited for some rugged Middle-Eastern country. Check it out. (I have no idea if this is helpful, but thought I'd just mention it).

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Desert properties Reply with quote

It has the right colouring but there seem to be some large cactuses that you see in the Westerns in many places.

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Desert properties Reply with quote

Well, I've found a course in Muscat, Oman that might be possible to try in APCD. It called Ghala Golf Club. I am not intending it to be a total recreation, but the elevations and layout will be as close as I can get them with Google Earth.

The course is set in a wadi that runs downhill from the bottom of the image towards the road at the top. It's just over 6700 yards in length, but I may be able to add longer tees in on some holes, though a lot of the fairways are quite narrow, so I may not do that.

I think it may take some time to get enough elevations in, so you may not hear from me for quite a while Scared

Strong4W

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Desert properties Reply with quote

Have you considered using clay as a terrain base? I lived in the desert SW US and the desert base is mostly clay/caliche with minimal sand and lots of gravel, include the washes (comparable to wadis). Just a thought.

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Desert properties Reply with quote

Looking at the pictures I have found, most of the surround is rocky slopes.

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

I was three over. One over a house, one over a patio, and one over a swimming pool. - George Brett