Please support Links Corner    

Golfer: Please stop checking your watch all the time, caddy. It's distracting!
Caddy: This isn't a watch, sir, its a compass!
Graphics cards View older topic :: View newer topic  
jputt99

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Graphics cards Reply with quote

I know this subject has been talked about a lot, but I'm shopping for a new desktop and I'm wondering what most of you guys like in a graphics card.
The gaming PC's I see come with these cards;
AMD Radeon RX 560
AMD Radeon RX 580
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

Anyone using these cards ?

Play golf meet new friends.
Danny D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Graphics cards Reply with quote

jputt99 wrote:
I know this subject has been talked about a lot, but I'm shopping for a new desktop and I'm wondering what most of you guys like in a graphics card.
AMD Radeon RX 560
AMD Radeon RX 580
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

I have never used any type of an AMD card, so I can't speak on that. I'm currently using an old NVIDIA GTX 690, and it works perfectly for Links and the APCD.

However, I am soon going to purchase a 34" ultra-wide curved monitor, but my present GTX 690 won't produce the resolution that the monitor is rated at. As a result, I just purchased a new NVIDIA GTX 1050 that will handle the new ultra-wide monitors needs.

I've used NVIDIA cards for years for Links, and have never found any issues with them, so my recommendation is to go with any of the NVIDIA GTX cards. (but then again, it will depend on the rest of the hardware. See below)

Hopefully you are aware of the troubles with Links and INTEGRATED GRAPHICS. If you have any problems, it will most likely be with that. Links was written for the older hardware, and when the hardware moved into INTEL integrated graphics, either in the motherboard, or the processor, all types of graphics issues popped up in Links. I'm not sure exactly what kind of a computer you are getting ready to buy, but if it uses integrated graphics, odds are you will have some type of graphics issues with Links, no matter WHAT type of video card you buy. Some people are lucky enough to have had no problems, but it's rare.

Hope that helps,

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Danny D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Graphics cards Reply with quote

jputt99 wrote:
AMD Radeon RX 560
AMD Radeon RX 580
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

Let me clarify a few things.

If you are into serious gaming, with today's newest games, then by all means, go with the newest hardware that is designed for today's games. Today's games are written to work best with "Intel integrated graphics".

If you are a serious Links player and APCD course designer, stay away from anything that has "Intel integrated graphics". The APCD and Links were written long before "integrated graphics" was ever thought of, and because of that, the Links software can have all kinds of graphics issues. You just never know what kind of issue you might have until you install it and try it out on your particular machine. From what the guys here have been reporting, it's not so much the operating system as it is the "Intel Integrated Graphics" that is causing the problems.

Today's new motherboards are MOSTLY the type that use "Intel integrated graphics" either in the processor, or in the motherboards, or both.

For those that still want a new computer that does NOT use integrated graphics, the only option I'm aware of is a motherboard that uses the "X99" chipset. Those boards use the newest and highest rated hardware available today in a NON integrated graphics setup. With these boards, you must use a processor that does NOT contain integrated graphics, and an add-on video card. The one thing I'm not sure of is how well these boards work with today's newest games. I do know that they will run Links perfectly, because I recently help a friend in getting one of these built.

If you want a new GAMING machine, I suggest you get the newest one with "Intel integrated graphics". You can try to install Links on it and hope for the best. However, if it won't work right for you, and if you are a serious Linkster that still wants to play links without any issues, then keep your old computer and use it just to play Links. You can also buy an older used computer cheap on Ebay that doesn't use integrated graphics that will easily run Links.

I'm just running some options by you so you know a little about what to expect. Hope it made sense and helps.

Best wishes,

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Pakken

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Graphics cards Reply with quote

jputt99 wrote:
AMD Radeon RX 560
AMD Radeon RX 580
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

If you can stretch your budget to a GTX 1070, you'll have a beast in your rig. Out of those 3, you won't go wrong with any of them imo. I'd go for to GTX 1060, personally.

MarkHulka
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Graphics cards Reply with quote

Which driver are you guys using with a GTX1060?

Mark

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Members Tech Forums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

New to Links? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.