Please support Links Corner    

New to Links? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.
Questions about 3D Chainlink Fence... View older topic :: View newer topic  
Danny D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Questions about 3D Chainlink Fence... Reply with quote

Hi guys...

I need a chainlink fence, and I notice there are none provided with my version of the APCD. What would be the proper way for me to get one that will work without any improper version issues? I've never imported any 3D objects before, only 2D via importing from other courses, so I'm not really familiar with that process. Can someone give me some tips on where to find a 3D chainlink fence and point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Eddie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Questions about 3D Chainlink Fence... Reply with quote

Hi Dan, I hope all is well. It's been quite awhile since I merged the libraries but I believe you'll have to do a library merge with APCD 2001.

Here's the fence you're looking for I believe but there are other options.

The other option is to build from terrain which I'm certain could be painful to some.

I would like to add I've never had any issues with objects as some report save the foresting bug that many have encountered and I wonder if removing the top views (I strongly recommend this) from the grasses, bushes and flowers has helped me with that.

Danny D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Questions about 3D Chainlink Fence... Reply with quote

Eddie wrote:
Hi Dan, I hope all is well. It's been quite awhile since I merged the libraries but I believe you'll have to do a library merge with APCD 2001.

Here's the fence you're looking for I believe but there are other options.

The other option is to build from terrain which I'm certain could be painful to some.

I would like to add I've never had any issues with objects as some report save the foresting bug that many have encountered and I wonder if removing the top views (I strongly recommend this) from the grasses, bushes and flowers has helped me with that.
Thanks Eddie. Much appreciated. I'll go watch Les' tutorial on Library Merging again, and see if I can figure it out.

By the way, I'm curious what you mean by "build from terrain". Do you mean building one, like a 3D structure of some type?

Thanks again,

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
Eddie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Questions about 3D Chainlink Fence... Reply with quote

Danny D wrote:

By the way, I'm curious what you mean by "build from terrain". Do you mean building one, like a 3D structure of some type?

Thanks again,

Dan

Yes Pat Auge long ago posted some pix of a fence he made from terrain and it was fantastic work. If it were me I'd do a library merge again it's been a long time since I last did it but don't remember having difficulty with it.

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Questions about 3D Chainlink Fence... Reply with quote

Danny - if you do a library merge, you can always choose to only import certain 2001 objects into your planting set, like just the 3D objects. FWIW, Lez mentions in his video #35 (the one right after the library merge video) that he avoided importing the 2001 2D objects because he thought they tended to lead to crash issues.

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
Danny D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Questions about 3D Chainlink Fence... Reply with quote

JWGriffinGCA wrote:
Danny - if you do a library merge, you can always choose to only import certain 2001 objects into your planting set, like just the 3D objects. FWIW, Lez mentions in his video #35 (the one right after the library merge video) that he avoided importing the 2001 2D objects because he thought they tended to lead to crash issues.

John
OK John. I've seen many warnings about avoiding the older 2D objects. All I'm interested in at this time is a fence to use for a couple of tennis courts. That's all I intend to import.

Thanks much!

Dan

Danny D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Questions about 3D Chainlink Fence... Reply with quote

Eddie wrote:
Danny D wrote:

Thanks again,

Dan

Yes Pat Auge long ago posted some pix of a fence he made from terrain and it was fantastic work. If it were me I'd do a library merge again it's been a long time since I last did it but don't remember having difficulty with it.
I could do the actual posts and rails easily enough, but I can't imagine how the fencing could be done. I'd like to see the one Pat did.

Thanks again for the tips.

Dan

crjones

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Questions about 3D Chainlink Fence... Reply with quote

Hi Dan - below is some fencing/railing work that I created to surround the Banff clubhouse. Each section of the fence is actually all built as one joined piece - there are no floating 3D objects in it. So all of the railing you see in the graphic is just 3 separate 3D objects.

Doing a chainlike fence would use exactly the same technique - but there would be a lot more "cross pieces" and each would be a lot thinner and rounder of course. It would be uber-3D work, with a lot of detail involved. You might have to find a chain texture that didn't need to be mapped - because successfully planar mapping such intricate work as a chainlink fence would be almost impossible.

The concept is simple, but the execution would have to be precise. It would take you a lot of time. But the result could be amazing.

But...is it worth it? The many many hours you would need to spend on it may be better spent elsewhere on your course. My feeling is that you'd only do it if you really wanted to produce something different for your own satisfaction.

If you want to have a go, I can write you up some instructions on how I think you might go about it.

[/img]

Danny D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:31 am    Post subject: Questions about 3D Chainlink Fence... Reply with quote

crjones wrote:
Hi Dan - below is some fencing/railing work that I created to surround the Banff clubhouse. Each section of the fence is actually all built as one joined piece - there are no floating 3D objects in it. So all of the railing you see in the graphic is just 3 separate 3D objects.

Doing a chainlike fence would use exactly the same technique - but there would be a lot more "cross pieces" and each would be a lot thinner and rounder of course. It would be uber-3D work, with a lot of detail involved. You might have to find a chain texture that didn't need to be mapped - because successfully planar mapping such intricate work as a chainlink fence would be almost impossible.

The concept is simple, but the execution would have to be precise. It would take you a lot of time. But the result could be amazing.

But...is it worth it? The many many hours you would need to spend on it may be better spent elsewhere on your course. My feeling is that you'd only do it if you really wanted to produce something different for your own satisfaction.

If you want to have a go, I can write you up some instructions on how I think you might go about it.
Hi Mr Jones... You do real nice 3D work. Thanks for the tips and the offer, but there's really no need to go thru all that trouble. As I mentioned, I only need some chainlink fencing to surround 2 tennis courts that will only be seen off in a distance, so putting that much time and effort into it would be a waste of time. Hopefully I will be able to use one via a library merge. I will have plenty of 3D structures to build as it is. Whistle

Best wishes,

Dan

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

I know I'm getting better at golf 'cos I'm hitting fewer spectators. - Pres. Gerald Ford