Please support Links Corner    

I will shoot my age if I have to live to be 105. - Bob Hope
Lost 2D objectsGoto page 1, 2  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
Ian wells

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Lost 2D objects Reply with quote

Firstly I would like to apologize for being stupid.

As I was putting the finishing touches to Wade Hampton, (well hole 7) I was experiencing a lot of crashes resulting in a lot of repetitive (boring) work.

I therefore, decided to reinstall APCD, rename my user.lib file and see if that fixed the problem.

When I opened Wade Hampton it looked the same as before but when I selected an object that I had imported, APCD does not recognize it. After opening the objects folder, all my imported 2D folders objects are missing.

The obvious option is to delete all imported 2D objects, import again and replant. However, this would mean deleting all 2D objects as original and imported are mixed together. (Is there a quick way to delete all the imported 2D objects?)

Is there anybody who can give me a better options?

For now Wade Hampton is resting.

Thanks.

Ian

sagevanni

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Lost 2D objects Reply with quote

I have said this before but will say it again. I backup my APCD directory in FULL on a USB stick. I have done multiple re-installs of APCD. When I get my re-install done I make sure APCD is working by firing it up and testing a few things. When I am sure all is well I exit out and the "COPY-PASTE" all the files in my base APCD backup and my "OBJECTS" directory to the new re-installed APCD base directory. I then have all my old objects available. This has worked without fail for me every time once I figured out how to do it. Hope this helps.

Ian wells

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Lost 2D objects Reply with quote

Thanks Sage,

Sage by name and sage by nature.

Unfortunately I did not remember your previously posted advice. If only ......

Any thoughts on how to help correct my mistake?

Thanks,
Ian

sagevanni

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Lost 2D objects Reply with quote

Unfortunately learning from many past computer mistakes, once something is gone it is GONE. I have lost so many things over the years. So.....I have learned to back-up, back-up, back-up. Used to back-up to CD's.....that took a lot of CD's...!!!!!!! when USB sticks came along.....WOW easy peasy......Now I am looking at getting a ghost drive.....A portable drive I can back-up my whole drive. Will get one soon. Anyway......If stuff is not there, it is not there. So........back-up, back-up, back-up.........

sagevanni

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Lost 2D objects Reply with quote

Hi Ian........I should mention that I copy-paste my files to a USB stick.....I do NOT use a backup utility......I copy-paste the whole directory. Right click on the directory and click copy then paste to USB of your choice. Make sure your USB has the capacity to hold all.........Good luck......Sage

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Lost 2D objects Reply with quote

Is it possible to import them from a previously saved version??

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Sir Terry Pratchett
sagevanni

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Lost 2D objects Reply with quote

Not sure I understand your question Stephen........

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Lost 2D objects Reply with quote

If Ian has a copy of the course saved, I assume it will have the 2d objects on it. If he goes into the Object Library in the planting tab, can he not just re import the objects?

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Sir Terry Pratchett
sagevanni

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Lost 2D objects Reply with quote

Import from course in the object library........yes.

Ian wells

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Lost 2D objects Reply with quote

Sage, Stephen,

I do have a backup of the course, in fact 8 backups over the last 4 days, but loading the course into the newly installed APCD does not reinstall the planting set into the 2D library. The objects are still shown in the course but when an 2D object is selected the object details are not shown in the library.

Thanks for your comments.
Ian

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Lost 2D objects Reply with quote

Ian

Have you tried importing the 2d back into the object library from the course?

Ian wells

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Lost 2D objects Reply with quote

Stephen,
How do I import the objects from the course?
Thanks
Ian

sagevanni

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Lost 2D objects Reply with quote

Open APCD.......go to planting.....open the object library.....Click on the file tab......click import from course......chose the course to open the objects from. They will show up one by one and you can then import them. You can make new object types or use ones you already have. Click on OK to import.....when done click the "X" quit the import window and yes to save the library with the imported objects. You should then have them imported. Hope I explained good enough.....

Sage

Ian wells

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Lost 2D objects Reply with quote

Sage,
I have done as you suggested and after importing the 257 objects I am very happily surprised with the result.

I am therefore almost back to where I was before my error.

Although the objects that are planted are available in the object library, the associated properties have not been imported.

Am I correct in assuming that I must allocate new properties, collision information and top view representation?

Thank you for your help. I had thought that I would have to delete all the 2D objects and start again with the planting. That may well have been one problem too far. Now I only have to add the object properties, a much easier job.

Thanks again.

Ian

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Lost 2D objects Reply with quote

Ian wells wrote:

Am I correct in assuming that I must allocate new properties, collision information and top view representation?

Ian

Yes

Ian wells

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Lost 2D objects Reply with quote

Stephen,

Thank you for your help. I didn't believe that importing from the same course into itself would allow the planted objects to recognise themselves, if you can understand what I mean?
I now must alter the properties, but that is way less work than Ithought it would be.
Thanks again to you and Sage, a good team effort.
Ian

sagevanni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Lost 2D objects Reply with quote

Glad to be of some help.......APCD is awesome and massively quirky at the same time..........

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Lost 2D objects Reply with quote

Ian wells wrote:
Stephen,

Thank you for your help. I didn't believe that importing from the same course into itself would allow the planted objects to recognise themselves, if you can understand what I mean?
I now must alter the properties, but that is way less work than Ithought it would be.
Thanks again to you and Sage, a good team effort.
Ian

I understand exactly what you mean. It is what I ended up doing when I redid Real Club de Golf Campoamor 2011.

Ian wells

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Lost 2D objects Reply with quote

Stephen, Sage,

I have just discovered that after the import and modification to the properties the file is now 40MB larger than the original file.
Have either of you found the same? The course file is large enough without adding any additional.

Ian

sagevanni

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Lost 2D objects Reply with quote

As I said before......."APCD is awesome and massively quirky at the same time.........." Chair Wall Bash Fear

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Members Tech Forums All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

Hit 'em hard. They'll land somewhere. - Stewart Maiden