Please support Links Corner    

These greens are so fast I have to hold my putter over the ball and hit it with the shadow. - Sam Snead
PGA National Championship course View older topic :: View newer topic  
ragamuffin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: PGA National Championship course Reply with quote

Hi,

Has anyone encountered very long rendering times with this course? I've noticed particularly post swing it takes a long time for the shot to happen. I don't seem to get this with any other course.

Captain Nemo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: PGA National Championship course Reply with quote

What time do you consider to be long?

I have a 12 year old HP desktop running XP. It has dual core AMD64 processors with 3.5 Gigs available memory and the on-board video chip is by Nvidia.

I did have very slow swing response for the first hole when my Ani buddy or I were hitting ... Varied, but average was about 15 seconds. However, redraws were fast (1-2) secs. After that hole, all was good to go and swings and redraws were fast.

Additionally I should mention I ran into a similar problem last month, when playing a Season. The course I returned to playing after several weeks away had slowed to a crawl (1 to 2 minute swings and redraws). Fortunately (having an old PC with a smaller hard drive) the first thing I checked was its available memory. I was down to 16% and the recommended for this PC is min 25%. So I dumped all my Pics and video and Artwork to a 64 gig USB and got back to 25%. Loaded up Links Season and continued on that course with no problemo.

Hope this helps! :)

How many Microsoft Programmers does it take to replace a light bulb? Just one.
However, you will be installing updates for all eternity!
ragamuffin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: PGA National Championship course Reply with quote

I have a 6-7 year old HP desktop running Win 7 with an intel core 2 quad processor Q8300, Nvidia GT610 card.

There is a 15-18 second delay after the tee shots. Redraws are quicker once on the fairway. On any other course I have a 1-2 second redraw delay on any shot.

I did some disk cleanup and optimization but it made no difference.

Not a huge deal, just found it odd for one course to be that way. Hoping to use it for the Honda Classic in my virtual career.

braden1308

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject: PGA National Championship course Reply with quote

It has to do with there being shadows on some plants causing the slow rendering. I wanted to replant the course to fix that problem but the original unlocked file is gone so it will render more slowly than other courses

ragamuffin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: PGA National Championship course Reply with quote

braden1308 wrote:
It has to do with there being shadows on some plants causing the slow rendering. I wanted to replant the course to fix that problem but the original unlocked file is gone so it will render more slowly than other courses

thanks for the feedback. It's a beautiful course to play. I'll just enjoy the scenery while it renders . Smile

tomk2542

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: PGA National Championship course Reply with quote

Reduce your picture quality in the graphics setting by sliding the bar to the left. That will render faster redraws depending on how far left you move it.

There's a quote from the Tet 68 attack that was on a MP's lighter & it read:

"You have never lived
Until you have almost died
For those who fight for it
Life has a flavor the "protected" will never know."

Vietnam Vet
Dec66 - March69
ragamuffin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: PGA National Championship course Reply with quote

tomk2542 wrote:
Reduce your picture quality in the graphics setting by sliding the bar to the left. That will render faster redraws depending on how far left you move it.

Oh boy..I feel kinda dumb! I never thought of simply changing that setting (I guess because I never look at it). I set it to the lowest setting and that made a huge difference. Now it plays like any other course and renders just as fast. That overcomes the issue braden1308 mentioned due to the shadows and I don't notice any real difference in picture quality on my monitor when the graphic settings are set to low.

Thanks for the tip! Clap

Danny D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: PGA National Championship course Reply with quote

ragamuffin wrote:
tomk2542 wrote:

Oh boy..I feel kinda dumb! I never thought of simply changing that setting (I guess because I never look at it). I set it to the lowest setting and that made a huge difference. Now it plays like any other course and renders just as fast. That overcomes the issue braden1308 mentioned due to the shadows and I don't notice any real difference in picture quality on my monitor when the graphic settings are set to low.

Thanks for the tip! Clap
You might be aware that when you slide that bar all the way to the left, there's a possibility some of the graphics won't display properly. Just for one example, I have see water turn black on some courses.

What I normally do when I play a slow rendering course is to move it left just for that course, and then change it back when I finish, if I remember.

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
ragamuffin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: PGA National Championship course Reply with quote

Danny D wrote:
ragamuffin wrote:
tomk2542 wrote:

Thanks for the tip! Clap
You might be aware that when you slide that bar all the way to the left, there's a possibility some of the graphics won't display properly. Just for one example, I have see water turn black on some courses.

What I normally do when I play a slow rendering course is to move it left just for that course, and then change it back when I finish, if I remember.

Dan

Thanks for the heads up. I'll do the same thing

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Want to play Links again but lost your CDs? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.