Please support Links Corner    

Real golfers never strike a caddie with the driver. The sand wedge is far more effective. ~Huxtable Pippey
Forest plant issueGoto page 1, 2  Next View older topic :: View newer topic  
MrMoggie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Forest plant issue Reply with quote

I've encountered something odd for which I hope there's an easy and obvious answer.

When I try to forest plant anything [eg] grasses or trees, the objects can't be seen in either top or perspective view. I have 2D objects selected and I have selected a shape. I know they're being planted because the number of 2D objects on the course increases when I look at the course checklist. When I validate and save and test in Links I still can't see the planted objects.

This happens in several installed versions of APCD.

But bizarrely when I plant single objects it all works fine. It's just the forest plant tool that doesn't display the planted objects.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Steve

Danny D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Forest plant issue Reply with quote

MrMoggie wrote:
I've encountered something odd for which I hope there's an easy and obvious answer.

When I try to forest plant anything [eg] grasses or trees, the objects can't be seen in either top or perspective view. I have 2D objects selected and I have selected a shape. I know they're being planted because the number of 2D objects on the course increases when I look at the course checklist. When I validate and save and test in Links I still can't see the planted objects.

This happens in several installed versions of APCD.

But bizarrely when I plant single objects it all works fine. It's just the forest plant tool that doesn't display the planted objects.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Steve

GEEZE! That's a strange one... The only thing I can think of that might cause something like what you described, is if for some odd reason the plants are being planted below ground level, and I wouldn't know how to do that, even if I wanted to... Does this happen with anything that is planted in the foresting mode, or only certain objects?

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
crjones

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Forest plant issue Reply with quote

I've not heard of that before either. Bizarre. But if it was me there would be a few things I would recheck:
- Make sure you have set up your Admin privs correctly because I know that can cause problems with planting sets
- Reset your properties for each of your plants (have you changed where the TGAs are stored recently?)
- its amazing what a simple reboot can achieve sometimes

Guessing you might have done all of this, but its all I can think of to do.

The silver lining is that the best designers tell us they never use forest planting......

MrMoggie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Forest plant issue Reply with quote

Thanks guys
I will try everything you suggest!
Yes, it happens with any object

Dan - you might be right. The objects are definitely being planted, just not visible

Steve

I will take a peek under the plot when I get home from work...

brooks2345

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Forest plant issue Reply with quote

You might also zoom right close up because often when I've been foresting, you don't see anything, then when you magnify up, all those things you've planted show up.

Just a thought as you seem to be foresting with very small objects - which won't show unless you magnify right up close.

Cheers

John Brooks Oh My

MrMoggie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Forest plant issue Reply with quote

Thanks, John

I'll try that too

Steve

Danny D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Forest plant issue Reply with quote

brooks2345 wrote:
You might also zoom right close up because often when I've been foresting, you don't see anything, then when you magnify up, all those things you've planted show up.

Just a thought as you seem to be foresting with very small objects - which won't show unless you magnify right up close.

Cheers

John Brooks Oh My
But he said the plants don't show up in the game either. Huh? Unsure

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
brooks2345

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Forest plant issue Reply with quote

Where did he say that? I thought he was just talking about what could be seen in the APCD top and perspective views. Mind you, the foresting tool is notoriously liable to misfire from time to time. For a couple of years, it refused to work for me, then suddenly after about 3 reloads, it worked fine!

Cheers

John Brooks Unsure

brooks2345

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Forest plant issue Reply with quote

Oh yeh, sorry, I see what you're reading.Strange that the number of objects planted actually increases - could his foresting planting distances between objects be set wrong, or maybe his decimal point for each object is wrong?

Cheers

John Brooks Erm

Danny D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Forest plant issue Reply with quote

brooks2345 wrote:
Oh yeh, sorry, I see what you're reading.Strange that the number of objects planted actually increases - could his foresting planting distances between objects be set wrong, or maybe his decimal point for each object is wrong?

Cheers

John Brooks Erm
Dunno

MrMoggie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Forest plant issue Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys, but I might have to concede defeat.

I think the problem might be my laptop.

I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled APCD on my laptop a few times, including in different locations, but no luck. I still can’t see any 2D objects planted using forest plant in Top or Perspective view, nor can I see them in the game after I validate and save and play. But the number of 2D objects increases when I look at the course checklist, so APCD clearly ‘thinks’ they’re being planted!

I am using APCD as an Administrator and have 2D objects turned on.

I have a few versions of APCD installed on my PC and everything works fine, which is why I think the problem lies with my laptop.

My last try will be to ‘invisibly’ plant on the laptop, validate and save, move the crz file to my PC and play in the game to see if anything shows up.

Steve

Wayne Hewitt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Forest plant issue Reply with quote

Steve.

I have just encountered this exact problem.

I have never had an issue like it in 18 years of using the APCD. It has me stumped also.

The only variation is when I plant individually then validate, it still clears the objects from the course, but like yourself, the object count is fine.

The only thing I can think of is I have recently upgraded my graphics card to and MSI GTX 1080ti.

Not sure if that has anything to do with it yet as I will be installing the APCD on another PC to see what happens.

I will let you know how I go. I have a design job due in a couple of weeks so this is the worst timing possible.

Wayne

Thanks
Wayne Hewitt
Hewis Golf Design
www.hewisgolfdesign.com

MrMoggie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Forest plant issue Reply with quote

Thanks, Wayne

I was trawling through the posts in the Designers Corner forum and I did find this from 2013

http://linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30913&highlight=planting

I've tried what Derrick suggested (ie) deleting all 2D objects but sadly it didn't solve it

Steve

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Forest plant issue Reply with quote

The only thing I remembered similar to this was a comment in the Readme file for Links at Ballylecum Castle by Jon Weinrieb:

"Bugs
• 2D Planting: A section along the par-4 4th is unplanted and, although not really noticeable, does slip into view if you look directly to the right around the green. The 3D village takes up a good bit of the unplanted view but I imagine some will question why there is no grass or bush planting over there. For whatever reason and despite an amazing amount of effort by the best in the business (AJ, MJ, Art, Pat and others), that section of the course simply will not hold a 2D object upon saving. It is not much of an issue but worth mentioning to head off questions about it."

I remember some other discussion, may have been about this problem, or someone else with a similar problem, that ended with a recommendation to always attempt a forest plant of some object across the entire blank plot of a new course before starting anything else. This was to look for any areas of the plot that refused to hold a planted object for unknown reasons. That area of the plot could be avoided or simply delete it and try another new plot. Unfortunately it seems like there weren't many answers for planting issues of this nature.

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
MrMoggie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Forest plant issue Reply with quote

Thanks, John

And thanks Colin for the earlier suggestions - I never responded

I am still plugging away with attempted fixes...

Steve

Wayne Hewitt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Forest plant issue Reply with quote

Same here Steve,

I can rule out graphics card issues.

Transferred the file and all of the APCD files over to another machine with a different brand card. Same result.

But when I install a brand new copy of the APCD everything works fine. So definitely something has been corrupted in my current install.

I also had a problem a couple of months ago when all of my custom textures went missing. The user.lib file remained the same size, but all the textures disappeared. So this must have happened at roughly the same time. I am starting to wonder if there is a certain size limit for the .lib files and if they get too big they corrupt.

I am about to install a fresh copy on another PC, and slowly merge my current files into that install to see which files are causing the problem.

Thanks
Wayne Hewitt
Hewis Golf Design
www.hewisgolfdesign.com

Eddie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Forest plant issue Reply with quote

Hi all, Happy New Year! I hope everyone is doing well!

I've had the same issue with foresting 2d objects on Bull Run HD and also Kill Devil Hills HD what I've done to mitigate the issue is have perspective view open with 2d turned on and make certain I see the objects on the plot before proceeding. If the object is not in view I hit ctrl-Z and try again. It seemed to help by changing the amount of spacing between objects while foresting but that wasn't always the case. The key is make certain you see the objects forested. Hope it helps!

MrMoggie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Forest plant issue Reply with quote

Oh, well, at least I'm not alone

Thanks, guys

Steve

Ian wells

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Forest plant issue Reply with quote

Wayne,
What do you think may be the maximum file size for the user.lib?
Thanks,
Ian

sagevanni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Forest plant issue Reply with quote

Mine is now sitting at 916.55 megabytes and APCD working fine.

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

New to Links? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.