Please support Links Corner    

I play with friends, but we don't play friendly games. -Ben Hogan
Finished designing View older topic :: View newer topic  
braden1308

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Finished designing Reply with quote

I never thought I would post this but I am done designing. Recently I was backing up my laptop when there was a power surge that not only fried my surge protection but also both of my drives. I have since replaced the hard drive on my laptop but years of work are completely gone. Everything I have done over the past three to four years was on there so I am not gong through all the problems of trying to put everything back together from other drives............too much.

Good luck to all,
Glenn

crjones

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Finished designing Reply with quote

Really sorry to hear about that Glenn. If that was me (and I had as many unfinished courses as I understand you have) I'd be more than annoyed - I'd be feeling a bit gutted by it.

I hope that you might change your mind once you've had a break for awhile. You strike me as one of those guys who really enjoys the design process (not just releasing finished projects), so maybe once the sheer frustration eases, you'll rediscover the passion to start again.

Cheers mate

Colin

grandpabruce

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Finished designing Reply with quote

That is terrible, Glenn! Iam sorry to hear that. I have been down that road before (not design of courses), and it does hit hard.

I hope that you do come back again and design. Your designs have given us all the continued fun of playing this silly game.

Last edited by grandpabruce on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
mashie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Finished designing Reply with quote

Really sorry to hear this Glenn, but I can certainly understand your frustration. But what a loss for the Links community, you were one of the few designers still releasing top notch real course renditions. Always looked forward to your releases. Sorry I never heard back from Eric about finishing his courses but I guess it's just as well since that work would also have been lost.

ww2marine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Finished designing Reply with quote

Glenn,

Say it isn't so!.
I know its selfish of me to say that but designers at this site are like gold and you are among them.

Hope in the future you have a change of mind and get back to designing for which you are very good at.

Bob,

Ride, ride the carousel
Reach for the golden ring
Never to end but to begin again
Life is a circular thing
Ian wells

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Finished designing Reply with quote

Glen,
I have every sympathy with you. I have lost a lot of data over the years but never on the scale that you have endured.
I hope that after a rest period your obvious passion for designing returns.
If it is indeed your goodbye to APCD, good luck with whatever new interest takes it's place. Your experience and your willingness to help all of us on this forum will be sorely missed.

Thanks for all your help and enjoy your APCD free future.

Ian

bills217

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Finished designing Reply with quote

Amazingly sorry about what happened, Glenn. It is a loss for you, and for the entire community. Just rotten luck. Thanks for all you've done for us over the years, and I do hope you change your mind!

Stephen Sullivan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Finished designing Reply with quote

That's really bad news. I've lost the odd file, but never everything I've got.
(Must actually do a backup to my network drive)

My main issue with the APCD is the amount of work it takes to build a course, and I've never got my head around building 3D buildings Wall Bash
That and the lack of information to build non-US courses.

"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." Sir Terry Pratchett
Oiler

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Finished designing Reply with quote

Crushing news Glenn. You mastered designing like few others. Each course you release is a gift to all that still play Links. Clap

From the bottom of my heart....Thanks for your efforts over the years....hope you have a great Christmas season and all the best moving forward. Cheers

NHL...A fun childrens game destroyed by greedy adults. Ditto MLB
JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:29 am    Post subject: Finished designing Reply with quote

Glenn - I feel so bad for you, that is such a tough break. I swear there must be a Cypress Point curse in APCD - seems like there is always something that goes wrong when a designer is working on it!

It's probably unthinkable now, but take some time away, and maybe you'll decide someday to get back into it.

Thank you for all your contributions to Links and for all your guidance to us less experienced designers. I do hope you'll stick around and continue to offer your expertise and answer questions.

Clap

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
Danny D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:01 am    Post subject: Finished designing Reply with quote

That's a shame Glenn. I hope you will still hang around the site. Your knowledge and experience has been a big help to us beginners. Please check in often. Maybe you might have some spare time to play the game instead of building. Would love to hook up with you sometime for an online match. If you need anything, let us know.

Thanks for everything and best wishes,

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
braden1308

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Finished designing Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I will look in from time to time.

Happy Holidays to all!

derricksummers

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Finished designing Reply with quote

Not Worthy Hi Glen
I know just how you must be feeling, I have lost everything four times, I only work on one course at a time but my designing skills are no where near your standards
You will be a sad loss if you do pack in,
Maybe after a few months lay off the old APCD Bug will bite again
Thumb Up All the best to everyone in the coming year
Derrick

Duck Hook

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Finished designing Reply with quote

Sorry to hear what has happened Glen.
Been there as well but certainly not to the extent to which you were unfortunately affected.
All the hours and work that have been lost, absolutely gutted for you.
If this is indeed it you can walk away knowing that you've left behind a great legacy with a brilliant selection of courses that will keep us linksters entertained for years to come.
Cheers mate
T
Thumb Up

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Designers Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Real golfers don't cry when they line up their fourth putt. - Anon