Please support Links Corner    

Talking to a golf ball won't do you any good. Unless you do it while your opponent is teeing off. - Bruce Lansky
Pro distance mod View older topic :: View newer topic  
Sisyphus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Pro distance mod Reply with quote

Just getting back to the game after a couple of years of frustration
getting it to install and play. In the process of getting the set-up to
what I had in the past. I recall having the Pro Distance Mod (2.02?).
I read somewhere that it is included in patch 1.07. True? Not true.
Or is it a separate download. I recall the installation being complicated.
So maybe it's not worth the effort?

Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?

T.S. Eliot (Choruses from "The Rock)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Pro Distance Mod Reply with quote

Separate download, not hard to install. Can be found here http://linksassistant.no-ip.info/. The website shows it as v1.2; however, Links reports it as v2.02 on the title screen.

Sisyphus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Pro Distance Mod Reply with quote

gator wrote:
Separate download, not hard to install. Can be found here http://linksassistant.no-ip.info/. The website shows it as v1.2; however, Links reports it as v2.02 on the title screen.

Thanks. I'll have to think about it.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
grandpabruce

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:43 am    Post subject: Pro distance mod Reply with quote

I have no clue where any tournament exists for that mod. It is not allowed in any tournaments here, or elsewhere, where I have played. It is pretty much a joke of a mod from what I see with respect to club distances.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
gator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Pro Distance Mod Reply with quote

The OP didn't ask for our commentary on the mod. I answered his question with my first post. But to your point, grandpabruce, some of us are able to enjoy the game without ever playing in a tournament. I have been playing this game since 1982 when I played it on an Atari 800XL computer and it was called Leaderboard Golf. In the last 35 years, I have never played in a tournament. So the fact that it is not allowed in tournament play never entered my mind when I installed it. Additionally, the install of this mod doesn't permanently alter the game. It leaves an unmodified version of Links on your computer and creates an additional version of Links with the mod. Therefore, anyone who does install it could still join a tournament and play the unmodified version in tournament play if they so desired. That is the beautiful thing about this game, we can all play the game the way we want.

Sisyphus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Pro distance mod Reply with quote

grandpabruce wrote:
I have no clue where any tournament exists for that mod. It is not allowed in any tournaments here, or elsewhere, where I have played. It is pretty much a joke of a mod from what I see with respect to club distances.

I don't play tournaments. Time and schedule constraints. I only brought it
up because I faintly recall having it years back when I had the game
working. I found,as in real life, designers were making their courses
longer.
Though if I were brutally honest, due to deteriorating strength and
flexibility, I'd set the driver at 150 and plop my way up the fairway and
celebrate bogey as a great score.
But if ya can't fantasize with a fantasy game what's the point?

grandpabruce

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Pro Distance Mod Reply with quote

gator wrote:
The OP didn't ask for our commentary on the mod. I answered his question with my first post. But to your point, grandpabruce, some of us are able to enjoy the game without ever playing in a tournament. I have been playing this game since 1982 when I played it on an Atari 800XL computer and it was called Leaderboard Golf. In the last 35 years, I have never played in a tournament. So the fact that it is not allowed in tournament play never entered my mind when I installed it. Additionally, the install of this mod doesn't permanently alter the game. It leaves an unmodified version of Links on your computer and creates an additional version of Links with the mod. Therefore, anyone who does install it could still join a tournament and play the unmodified version in tournament play if they so desired. That is the beautiful thing about this game, we can all play the game the way we want.

I realize that, Gator. All that I was saying is that mod is not allowed in tournaments, anywhere where I played.

Life is good!
GrandpaBruce
Vietnam Vet - 1970 - 1971
Pinseeker33

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Pro Distance is good! Reply with quote

When I play Links I'm playing the role of a tour professional and this mod gives me length comparable to the longer hitters on the Tour. It nice to be able to hit almost any green in regulation and hit most approach shots with a wedge!

Pete Naughty

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Forum Lobby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

New to Links? Buy Links 2003 download version here and support this site.