Please support Links Corner    

Dear God, is it true my father won't get in Heaven if he uses his golf words in the house? -Anita, age 7
Finally playing Links..now a constant PC stutter View older topic :: View newer topic  
stancomputergolfer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Finally playing Links..now a constant PC stutter Reply with quote

Thanks to folks here, I am finally playing Links again. However, there is a never before seen stutter when I play. It happens all the time, randomly, and is manifested by seeing a millisecond stutter when the ball is in flight, or when a putt is rolling, etc. Of course it happens on the swing meter too, resulting in some horrendous off the mark shots...deep rough, or OB, or water.

I did some research, and followed a suggestion to look at the resource monitor..typing in the search box..resmon.exe. Lots of cool colored graphs, but I have no idea what they mean and which ones I should look at.

Also, took the cover off and cleaned the fans for the CPU/motherboard, the power supply, and the GPU. Didn't help. Did some reading on thermal compounds.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

i5 Quad Core 3570 3.4
Nividia GTX GeForce 1060 6GB
16GB RAM

Max64

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Finally playing Links..now a constant PC stutter Reply with quote

I would try disabling any system protection software like anti virus while playing Links. Also make sure you have nothing else open while playing eg other programs or web browsers. See if any of that cures it.

stancomputergolfer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Finally playing Links..now a constant PC stutter Reply with quote

Max64 wrote:
I would try disabling any system protection software like anti virus while playing Links. Also make sure you have nothing else open while playing eg other programs or web browsers. See if any of that cures it.

I'll try that, thanks.

Max64

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Finally playing Links..now a constant PC stutter Reply with quote

Stan, I just remembered Links also has the option to stop everything while swinging in the menus. It may stop any stutters on the swing but likely wouldn't help at all with other stutters while the ball is in flight etc.
Try disabling system protection stuff as this may get rid of it. Best to also do a system reboot after you turn everything off.

JWGriffinGCA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:48 am    Post subject: Finally playing Links..now a constant PC stutter Reply with quote

It's possible that some background apps or processes are causing the stutter. See this thread:

http://linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33010&highlight=booster

Daz suggested a free program called Game Booster that shuts down unnecessary processes when starting a game. The link in that thread is dead but it is still available here:

https://www2.razerzone.com/cortex/boost

John

When it comes to havoc, nobody wreaks like me! -Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
Armand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Finally playing Links..now a constant PC stutter Reply with quote

In addition to the previous posts, I'll suggest another one. Power Profile.

I don't know if it helps Links, but some people have found with Perfect Golf that changing the Power Profile to maximum performance on their computer (i.e., use maximum power) has helped that game. I have no idea how much extra power is used, but I would suggest it is not noticeable on the monthly bill.

I think the power profile defaults to "Balanced", which will turn some devices off or reduce their power consumption if they are not being used. Sounds great if you're running a laptop unplugged, but for desktop machines or laptops that are plugged in, performance should not be affected by the system trying to manage devices that are not in use.

Max64

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Finally playing Links..now a constant PC stutter Reply with quote

Just interested to know if you are running Norton software by any chance? I've done many installs on different systems of Links 2003 and Links 2000 and found in one case Norton caused stuttering although it was on Links 2000 not 2003.

If any system protection software monitoring away in the background isn't the cause of your stutters then the suggestions above are certainly what I would suggest as the next step. You'll need to narrow down what is causing the problem and by turning off processes it should give you an answer. System protection tools certainly induce most problems in many games that is why I suggested it may be the first and easiest thing to try.

Danny D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:18 am    Post subject: Re: Finally playing Links..now a constant PC stutter Reply with quote

stancomputergolfer wrote:
Thanks to folks here, I am finally playing Links again. However, there is a never before seen stutter when I play. It happens all the time, randomly, and is manifested by seeing a millisecond stutter when the ball is in flight, or when a putt is rolling, etc. Of course it happens on the swing meter too, resulting in some horrendous off the mark shots...deep rough, or OB, or water.

I did some research, and followed a suggestion to look at the resource monitor..typing in the search box..resmon.exe. Lots of cool colored graphs, but I have no idea what they mean and which ones I should look at.

Also, took the cover off and cleaned the fans for the CPU/motherboard, the power supply, and the GPU. Didn't help. Did some reading on thermal compounds.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

i5 Quad Core 3570 3.4
Nividia GTX GeForce 1060 6GB
16GB RAM

I'm not sure what operating system that you have installed, but I can tell you of an issue that I and others have had with Windows 7 that may be causing issues.

When I started using Win 7, I noticed that something was causing my CPU usage to max out to 100% usage. After doing some online research, It turns out that on many systems there is a bug of some sort that causes that to happen when you have AUTOMATIC UPDATES enabled. This happens especially when you start up a program that uses a lot of CPU power. It did it to me when I would open either Links, or the APCD. Once I disabled AUTO UPDATES the CPU usage dropped to less than 10%.

Here is some more information covering this issue.
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/asiasupp/2007/05/29/automatic-update-causes-svchost-exe-high-cpu/

You can find this out on your own by starting Links, and then doing CTRL+ALT+DELETE and selecting TASK MANAGER and then looking at the PERFORMANCE tab. If it up near 100%, then you have that same issue. The only solution I'm aware of is to disable the auto update service. You can still get updates, but you have to do it manually. Or you can occasionally re-enable it and get them automatically. If this is happening on your system, that 100% CPU usage can make Links stutter when it calls for CPU power during swing or screen redraws...

Hope that helps.

Good luck,

Dan

MULLIGAN: A thieving second shot employed by golfers to prove the first one was no mistake
View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Members Tech Forums All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

If I were you, I'd lay off for a couple of weeks...and then quit. - Jimmy Demaret to Johnny Carson