Please support Links Corner    

Dear God, is it true my father won't get in Heaven if he uses his golf words in the house? -Anita, age 7
Black Valley CE - Fictional Favourite over the years View older topic :: View newer topic  
rwmills

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Black Valley CE - Fictional Favourite over the years Reply with quote

Alongside elevated tees, narrow wooded par 70 layouts seem to have held my playing interest the most through the years on the fictional courses. Of such courses, my go to one remains Black Valley CE. Not sure what the CE is exactly but it's a great test of nerve, accuracy, precise calculation on landing areas for best approach, etc.

Many hours of enjoyment on this layout, my best score on record at elite classic, still is just a 67 (-3). I thought I might tie it this morning, with a backside 5 birdie run, but a bogey on 18 for -2. My average on this course is a +2, perhaps another great reason it remains a challenge favourite to this day as well. Under par here is always very satisfying.

Kudos to Matt, should he still be around Links Corner today, once again!

RW Thumb Up

‎"A single insight is worth a thousand verbs" - R. Mills
PinHi1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:04 pm    Post subject: Black Valley CE - Fictional Favourite over the years Reply with quote

Interesting that you mentioned this course as I just played this one yesterday for the first time. I keep a spreadsheet of courses played and my take on them. Here is what I wrote "Forest. Par 70 6906 Yds. This is a well laid out course - with ample amount of doglegs and some well designed greens will keep scores reasonable. Panorama could be from Albert County with high hills and mountains in background. The tall thin pines are also a reminder. Good colour choices. Nice!"
Albert County being where I live in New Brunswick Canada. My score 68 and I play pro click and this was on no wind m/m.I enjoyed my round. I will come back for a windy round later and see how well I do then. Smile

rwmills

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Black Valley CE - Fictional Favourite over the years Reply with quote

I usually play Black Valley with f/f , today it was a no wind round as well.
That helps on the precision. Your story is cool too, timing is everything in life and in golf...serendipity and synchronicity.

I will usually play a new course once, and if it grabs me then again. Black Valley is a very satisfying round and a tree-lined Par 70 course, personally takes me to our provincial jewel in Saskatchewan The Waskesiu Lake GC in Prince Albert National Park, another great Stanley Thompson course.

I'm sure I've posted this pic here before, but here is the 2nd hole at Waskesiu. This little par 3 is the signature hole of all signature holes, for all courses in Saskatchewan to virtually everyone who plays the game here. It's a thrill always, to stand on the tee here and then make the descent down to the green.

Play On, Play Well......"Pin high" usually a great spot to be too

Cheers to you out in New Brunswick today, where the tide rushes in .....like nobody's business, which is why I call it: "The Bay of Funding".

RW Smile

rwmills

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Black Valley CE - Fictional Favourite over the years Reply with quote

It's the abundant deep rough too, at Black Valley that adds to it's difficulty of play.

Here's a story about the late great golfer, Moe Norman as he stood on the tee at 18 at Waskesiu GC for the first time. Playing with a local Saskatchewan CPGA pro, the pro advised him about the narrow tee shot and club selection. The story goes that Moe, a legendary accurate ball striker, held out his arm in front of him, with the ball in his hand at eye level, like aiming a rifle. His response was: "I don't know it seems to fit pretty well to me."

RW

gator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Black Valley CE Reply with quote

Because of this thread, I loaded up the course and took it back out for a spin. An enjoyable round of golf.

Quote:
Not sure what the CE is exactly

From the accompanying readme file, the full course name is "Black Valley Championship Edition".

rwmills

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:04 pm    Post subject: Black Valley CE - Fictional Favourite over the years Reply with quote

Championship Edition, that's great to know, thanks Gator. It lends a Royal sound to an otherwise great player's course.

I tried m/m this morning, with full on windy setting.

It wasn't pretty.... but scratched out a 74(+4).

RW

fenderpinky

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Black Valley CE Reply with quote

gator wrote:
Because of this thread, I loaded up the course and took it back out for a spin. An enjoyable round of golf.

Quote:
Not sure what the CE is exactly

From the accompanying readme file, the full course name is "Black Valley Championship Edition".

Me too. was a good test. Most times i've used Fade/Draw tee shots in one round but very risk and reward. Needed to think about the tee shots which i love.

billw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:59 pm    Post subject: Black Valley CE - Fictional Favourite over the years Reply with quote

Because of this thread, I also loaded up this course and took it back out for a spin. Good looking course and very challenging.

billw

rwmills

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Black Valley CE - Fictional Favourite over the years Reply with quote

billw,

Great to see you are getting out on the course in the post season, and new threads can be a good thing.

RW

rwmills

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Black Valley CE - Fictional Favourite over the years Reply with quote

My average score here in about 20 rounds is about 72.6 or so. I decided to start each day this week with a round at Black Valley or at least, squeeze one in during the day.

I have had a 68 (-2) which is one stroke back of a best on record 67 here. A 70, 71, 74, a 75, and even my highest round of 2017 and on record for this course, an 80 (+10) this week or so. Rounds played at No Wind, Breezy, and Windy....will give Saturday a Gusty setting, mostly F/F and all at Classic Elite which adds to Black Valley's already "edgy" level of tension and play.

This picture on 9 this morning captures what I like about Links throughout the years and this course. This downhill shot, carrying the bunker, factoring the wind, to a back pin placement on a narrow portion of the green. I pulled it off perfectly though putting was below average today (Friday) for a 72, so a par here not a birdie.

What makes this shot particularly satisfying and even possible, is that the drive just barely stayed out of the abundant BV deep rough, making this over the bunker shot, a possibility in the first place.

The terrain, the layout, the test, and now the history here has made this a pleasant, albeit very focused, and challenging round of golf and a great morning "Walk in the Links Park".

I won't pull at this "loose" thread any further.

Play on, Play Well,

RW Smile

View older topic :: View newer topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Course Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

The only thing in my bag that works is the bug spray. - Bruce Lansky